What do you want to see in our email newsletter?

Started by
11 comments, last by mike656 10 years, 8 months ago

Hey guys!

We're currently trying to improve our email newsletter, GDNet Direct, and we'd love your feedback so we can make the best newsletter possible.

What do you want to see in a newsletter, and how regularly (if at all) would you like to receive it?

If you don't mind, it would also really help us out if you could provide some information along with your responses so we know what sort of people are asking for certain things:

• Do you currently receive the newsletter?
  • Do you always read it? If not, how often do you read it?
  • How often do you visit the site?

Thanks so much for any feedback you're able to offer! smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

Advertisement

news what? =x

I almost always have a gamedev tab open..

Id like to receive hottest topics and articles(including journals posts) of the week...just to be sure I didnt lost any good information.

If you go to the frontpage there is a button you can click to sign up for the newsletter on the right hand side of the screen (it's inside a block).

It looks like this and we are sending it out twice a week starting next week on Tuesday and Thursdays:

http://www.gamedev.net/page/info/newsletter/newsletter.html

Do you currently receive the newsletter?
Nope. Signed up now.

Previously "Krohm"

Any other feedback?

Even if you're not a subscriber, we'd love to hear what you might like to see in a newsletter -- or even why you would never consider signing up!

- Jason Astle-Adams

I was not subscribed (just did), but then again I just joined this community just recently and as such I cannot critique the current newsletter that you are providing. However, I can share my input on newsletter in general. Most often I sign up for newsletters, but after the first few I regretfully unsubscribe, because they are nothing more of cheap content such as links to hot posts on the forums and most often something like "Screenshot of the Month" depending on the kind of site your are... there is/was no added value to be subscribed to those newsletters.

While it is always fun and nice to have those allerts telling you: "Hey, some cool discussion is/was going on here. Check it out." I want something extra in my newsletter. Unique content that is unique to the newsletter, a unique selling point. Thus that is what I hope to find in a newsletter that little bit extra unique to a newsletter, though I cannot say what that would/should be.

I hope this was helpful in anyway whatsoever.

weymiensN

PS: If I remember, I shall share my opinion on the newsletter once I have received and read one.

Have been signed up for the newsletter for so long that it surprised the crap out of me when I started receiving it. Things I would like to see but am patient enough to accept that some may not happen and others may take time.

1) Individualised newsletters that bring news to you from the forums for which you select to be advised on...for example being told about an XNA article holds no desire for me but might be completely relevant to another member.

2) Some of the juicier rss feeds for colouration

3) a comics section

4) an editorial / or perhaps meet the staff/moderators series of pieces - this might extend to a "meet the gd-net member" along the road.

5) A design the next GD-NET logo competition.....'cause lets face it, you know its going to happen someday...the history proves it :)

6) But mostly we should present the newsletter in the old black format for those cantankerous aged ones who bemoan the loss of the old style thus salving their wounds :D

Great feedback guys -- I'll respond to some specific points in more detail either later today or tomorrow.

Just to re-iterate, any and all feedback is welcome -- you don't have to be a subscriber!

- Jason Astle-Adams

Unique content that is unique to the newsletter, a unique selling point. Thus that is what I hope to find in a newsletter that little bit extra unique to a newsletter, though I cannot say what that would/should be.

Does anyone else have further feedback on this? What might make a good additional inclusion? Some of Stormynature's suggestions could potentially be workable.

1) Individualised newsletters that bring news to you from the forums for which you select to be advised on...for example being told about an XNA article holds no desire for me but might be completely relevant to another member.

That's something we would like to be able to do in future. To do this we need to be able to correctly identify the content that interests a particular members, and we need to have enough of that content to present something new/interesting. These are both problems we're working on solving, but it may take us some time.

3) a comics section
4) an editorial / or perhaps meet the staff/moderators series of pieces - this might extend to a "meet the gd-net member" along the road.

These are interesting ideas that we might be able to do -- it'd be a fair amount of work, and we might not be able to manage it for every newsletter depending on how often we're publishing, but it may be something we can do sometimes. Similar ideas might be short opinion or editorial pieces (either written by staff/mods, or contributed), or even industry relevant jokes.

We'd still love more feedback!

- Jason Astle-Adams

I remember on the old site there was a section for Game Dev for certain geographical locations. So on the newsletter is there a way to have a section like: Game Dev Events Happening in Your Location/Area.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement