Blender for making Games?

Started by
45 comments, last by wfrye2005 9 years, 11 months ago

You make a solid point here. Problem with this is that blender is free and easy to use so the COMMON non-professional gets their hands on this program and creates the issue stated above. The OP's question was should it be used for gamedev, and while I believe the tool can be used to do so I hate it as a standard because the common person ( most indie people ) don't know how to create proper models or uv maps.

+1

I agree, nice reply!

Advertisement

One thing I know about a true artist, it doesn't matter what tool is used, as long as the tool is usable they can make a masterpiece with it. My brother always says, "I hate artists man, they are good at everything."

What he is saying is that everywhere there is art, there is also good art. At one point I was so broke that I only had clay to paint with. I painted a portrait with it.

The whole "quick filters" thing is true though. I see so many photoshop tutorials that are just "this filter, that filter, done." But the principles of art are lost along with it.

If a person has the principles down, I am sure they can do good modeling and Uv unwrapping and such in Blender or Maya or Max or some random abandoned software.

Now, the indie devs who started as a hobby and were forced to use Blender to make games, and perhaps never learned proper techniques for making game models, might be the ones who don't know proper techniques, but this would apply to those who use Max or Maya without proper techiniques also.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

You make a solid point here. Problem with this is that blender is free and easy to use so the COMMON non-professional gets their hands on this program and creates the issue stated above. The OP's question was should it be used for gamedev, and while I believe the tool can be used to do so I hate it as a standard because the common person ( most indie people ) don't know how to create proper models or uv maps.

Maybe a good article topic for someone suitably qualified and with the time to write it: common beginner mistakes with Blender.

If the software were more complicated or less readily available then perhaps these people wouldn't be making the mistakes, but that ship has long since sailed; the option now is to try to better educate people so that these mistakes are less common.

- Jason Astle-Adams

You sure as hell don't now but you sure did back then. Everybody who had access to a computer could make cool clipart webpages but it doesn't mean they knew anything about making a real website. The same could be said for Photoshop and the people who use filters to make "cool flame art" but have no idea what the filter is actually doing and most of their work looks generic and cant be used for anything other than a silly signature on a forum page.

This actually goes deeper than just blender if you really wanted to get into it. It is the whole concept that the further we advance in technology the more we loose in basic knowledge and skill. I wont bore you with the details here and we can discuss in private or in another thread if you wished... but the point is this is MY opinion of the program.

Your personal option, that a tool is useful or not, is ok. But to tell people, that a certain tool results in bad artists, is just BS. You blame a tool, because it is too easy to use ? You blame it, because it is too inexpensive ? You blame a tool, because some unskilled people try to make art with it ?

Come on, don't blame the tool for being popular and used by hobby/indie artists a lot. I use blender and my art is sub-decent, so, if I get maya my art will suddenly get a professional touch ? blink.png

This really sounds like a personal bad experience taken as a reason for a common rule....

Blender is free, blender is good, blender is used in many professional projects and blender users are able to create stunning art, so , yes it is an good option for gamedev on low-budget projects.

I dont mind blender, i just hate the bad practices it generates for people who start with it.

This was the FIRST post I made, not sure how I ever said it was a "Bad tool to not be used for gamedev".

I guess the complaint is the program is too easy thus people dont learn the proper methods for creating assets for game development.

Again, never said it wasn't a good tool, simply said that it allows for people to skip over the finer points creating issues later on down the road.

Your personal option, that a tool is useful or not, is ok. But to tell people, that a certain tool results in bad artists, is just BS.

This is 100% opinion. I already said that I do not mind the tool or the use of it; rather I despise the fact that the common person who uses it never needs to take the time to learn the proper methods for good, smooth, art production. I NEVER SAID you couldn't make good art, or that the quality of the art was bad. I said that the program allowed for people to skip past the finer details that allow for the work to be used within game development.

Come on, don't blame the tool for being popular and used by hobby/indie artists a lot. I use blender and my art is sub-decent, so, if I get maya my art will suddenly get a professional touch ? blink.png

If you actually took the time to learn maya and make models with it, yes your work would become more professional.

This really sounds like a personal bad experience taken as a reason for a common rule....

Bad experience(s) is what dictates thought and opinion to begin with. I am sorry you don't like my opinion, but the thread is about sharing your thoughts and that is exactly what I have done. From the sounds of it you seem offended by my comments. Perhaps you feel that I think less of those people who use Blender ( which I dont ) and that is why you are acting this way. All I am saying is that my default reaction to a person who uses blender is skeptical at best!

Maybe a good article topic for someone suitably qualified and with the time to write it: common beginner mistakes with Blender.

If the software were more complicated or less readily available then perhaps these people wouldn't be making the mistakes, but that ship has long since sailed; the option now is to try to better educate people so that these mistakes are less common.

This again smacks untrue to me, as every single beginner mistake I could see making in Blender is applicable in Maya or Max as well. The biggest mistake with modelling is probably the lack of clean edge loops and use of nGons. All three programs allow that. As for UVmap, hell, Blender probably is the best tool in that regard.

This again smacks untrue to me, as every single beginner mistake I could see making in Blender is applicable in Maya or Max as well. The biggest mistake with modelling is probably the lack of clean edge loops and use of nGons. All three programs allow that. As for UVmap, hell, Blender probably is the best tool in that regard.

While true, most people who pick up maya dont just run in and make stuff. Those who do find that they will have a hard time obtaining anything they really desire and that only through some form of tutorial will they gain any real knowledge of how maya works. It is through these tutorials that they learn about these things ( not always but often since most people giving tutorials speak of it ).

With blender my 10 year old cousin came in and made something pretty decent for his first time ever using the program and never had to read any documentation. When he sent me the files to look over I noticed most of the common mistakes made by people who have no training and wondered how he was able to make such a model but with all these simple mistakes. I asked him what tool he used and then did some research. Installed it and found out that 100% indeed you could create some pretty good stuff with a tool that required little to no training to operate. I was impressed and concerned at the same time.

If your goal is to make art to make art than tools such as blender are amazing. I repeat, I DO NOT have an issue with blender specfically just the behavior that begates the simplicity of the program. This is no faut of the program itself but rather an over simplification of things so that EVERYBODY can use these tools. This is my mindset and there is possibly very little that would change that viewpoint. I agree 100% that the tool can be used for some great things.

Even thou this is true, Blender is new to the nGon topology, Ive been using it for years, and only on it's 2.5+ version it was made possible.

There are many games made using blender one exemple is ColorCube it was the first blender game made comercial! Só answering the forums question, YES Blender is awesome for game development!

Here are some other examples:

ColorCube

[VIDEO]http:

[/VIDEO]

Elpis the game (My game WIP)

[VIDEO]http:

[/VIDEO]

Yo Frankie! (Blender Foundation)

[VIDEO]http:

[/VIDEO]

Krum (WIP)

[VIDEO]http:

[/VIDEO]

Dead Cyborg (this is on steams green light)

[VIDEO]http:

[/VIDEO]

Lucy and the Time Machine (wins blender 2010 game contest)

[VIDEO]http:

[/VIDEO]

And the list goes on...

These are just to name a few!

While true, most people who pick up maya dont just run in and make stuff. Those who do find that they will have a hard time obtaining anything they really desire and that only through some form of tutorial will they gain any real knowledge of how maya works. It is through these tutorials that they learn about these things ( not always but often since most people giving tutorials speak of it ).

With blender my 10 year old cousin came in and made something pretty decent for his first time ever using the program and never had to read any documentation. When he sent me the files to look over I noticed most of the common mistakes made by people who have no training and wondered how he was able to make such a model but with all these simple mistakes. I asked him what tool he used and then did some research. Installed it and found out that 100% indeed you could create some pretty good stuff with a tool that required little to no training to operate. I was impressed and concerned at the same time.

If your goal is to make art to make art than tools such as blender are amazing. I repeat, I DO NOT have an issue with blender specfically just the behavior that begates the simplicity of the program. This is no faut of the program itself but rather an over simplification of things so that EVERYBODY can use these tools. This is my mindset and there is possibly very little that would change that viewpoint. I agree 100% that the tool can be used for some great things.

I am a bit confused by your argument. I dont really get what Blender does to make the tool accessible that Max and Maya dont. Quite literally the only difference I can think, and the crux of what you seem to be talking about, is simply the fact that Blender is free and thus anyone can try it. Since you have a larger pool of uneducated users, you get a larger pool of uneducated results.

This seems like a ... rather poor reason to judge a program. Or am I misunderstanding you where?

Seems like we might need a 3D Modeler War tag in addition to our Language War tag.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement