Average age of Game programmers and the speed of technology

Started by
72 comments, last by NeoReality 23 years, 10 months ago
Hahahaha OreoBoy03, you''re thick. Hahahahaha.

Don''t say it''s bad being fat. I''m not personally, but I think gyms are backwards places? fasgko pogklf;sd''kgfl;sd opfgsdkdl;''gkl lf,vs;d'',vl;sv''''aoe;a''kfopa''kgma-]04kl; KFLD;SAF''KDF F,MLR;A''FKD,LG;'',ldkslf;ak''fl; klgf;ad''kgl;.

I think that settles the matter.
Advertisement
Ok. . .I missed out on something here??? When I was twelve I did *some* programming (a cheesehead Space Invaders clone in Basic), which is about as far as I got before my teens, which were for the most part spent being an idiot. Then, at eighteen I decided that professional pot smoker is probably not a primo career choice and decided to program. My point is: Does everyone in the world know DirectX at age sixteen? If I can''t do object classes in C without a book at twenty, should I hang the whole thing up and stick to knitting? What''s the deal here?
I''m 31 years old, in good physical condition (I work out at a gym regularly.) I''m married with a daughter. Even before I got married, I was getting laid.

I''ve produced 4 major hit titles published by Microsoft and Activision, and the total sales of all of my games is in excess of 1.5 million copies world-wide.

So forget the stereotypes.
You''re just special then Anon Poster . No, I know that cool, athletic programmers do exist, like me and you. But there are some really nerdy kids at my school that spend lunch reading books about C++, the big fat kind. That scares the hell out of me! Why not be socializing with the ladies , or hanging with friends (maybe they don''t have any ), or something. If they were really desperate, there''s always that group smoking god knows what outside in the parking lot near the woods... No, cool programmers do exist, like everybody her on GameDev !!! But there are also the really nerd-geek-freak-weird kind of programmers, and they scared me away from ever wanting to be a programmer a long time ago. It''s tragic !!! Gotta run, catch you all later.
I''m 15 and have been programming for a while now. I started with QBasic (didn''t everybody?) and am pretty knowledgable of the DirectX API. I don''t really care about game development as a career but I do it cuz it''s fun. I have no doubt that I''ll be whipping out games when I''m a senior citizens!!! There ain''t nothing stopping me. Just my opinion, if you love what you do, doesn''t matter how old you are.
Oh yeh, OreoBoy - Ever seen Andre Lamothe, he''s pretty buf if you ask me, i make games and am almost a black belt in karate, so i''m not out of shape or anything. Just a thought.
BitBlt, that's a cool SN. And hey, EVERYBODY, I NEVER said ALL programmers were fat out-of-shape people. Everybody at GameDev seems cool, and a lot of you guys have told me that you're in shape, I believe you. Only the ones at MS are fat and overweight, or disgustingly skinny! Bill must lock them in there until they produce enough GARBAGE to justify a new version of Windows, and hence, more money for Mr. Gates... Oh hey, does anyone here have AOL IM? I'd love to have a chat with some of you about game development. Let me know, gotta run, Hasta Luego!

E: Guys, I just checked, right now, this topic is the 25th most popular topic of ALL TIME!!! That's wicked. Keep it goin'!!!

Edited by - OreoBoy03 on June 2, 2000 10:11:02 PM
Well, let´s face it. Most of us are never going to make it big-time. Those that do become fat and ugly (and never get laid).

What a life.

"Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don´t mind, it doesn´t matter"

Hang on,
I''m 17, I don''t consider myself too unfit / unhealthy (I guess I could use a bit more exercise), I''m crap at math (currently), I have reasonable personal hygene and I drink and smoke.

Does this mean I''m never going to make a game programmer?

(PS: I would love to work on code for gambling machines, that would be fine for me (for a while at least))

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

Ok. . .I missed out on something here???

My point is: Does everyone in the world know DirectX at age sixteen? If I can''t do object classes in C without a book at twenty, should I hang the whole thing up and stick to knitting? What''s the deal here?

I wouldn''t worry about it honestly. If everyone knew 100% of everything they post around here, there would be no need for a forum.

Just keep in mind how you were at 16 and imagine having all this tech at your fingertips now. I have been programming since I was 12 (integer basic days), so it is not really new that others start so young. I mean, when Taipan and Wizardry are the kick ass games of the day, imagine the inspiration going around now.

It doesn''t mean squat to me, age, or physique, and no, I am not fat, got a beer belly, and I like it so blah. If you read and learn (absorb) all of it, and then apply it cause this ain''t college, then you''ll have no problem getting a job. This industry is skills skills skills. They honestly don''t give a crap if you look like the unibomber (and actually might hire you cause they need a model of your head at that point).

I would stress however, it is not just skills. It is also being able to preform in a team. I have had a few jobs over the years where personality and team orientation won hands down over knowledge -- in some cases they will actually teach you all the necessary skills you need.

"Five passengers set sail that day, for a three hour tour, a three hour tour...."
Guess I''ll add my $.02 to this:

I''m 33, married with one child, in decent shape (6''3", 245 lbs, only little love handles ) and I''ve been in the industry for a little over six months after about 6 years of business programming.

Age isn''t really a barrier to getting into the industry. Movitation and a love of games are what counts. If you''re fairly intelligent and have a decent background in math you shouldn''t have any problem learning what you need to know. After that, make some small demos and start sending out your resume. There are tons of job openings for good people. If you have some decent demos, that''ll count about as much as practical experience.

OK, now that you''re done ready this, go write some code!!

Breakaway Games

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement