Average age of Game programmers and the speed of technology

Started by
72 comments, last by NeoReality 23 years, 10 months ago
Perhaps the reason we see so many overweight programmers is not because programmers become lazy, but because lazy people find programming to be something they can do without expending to much energy.

E:cb woof!
E:cb woof!
Advertisement
I''ve been programming in C/C++ for about 5-6 months, but mind you it was only a casual thing, I''ve only recently being taking it seriously for about a month. I''m only 17 and I''ve almost finished my first game, which is a multiplayer - puzzle game. I think that'' s good for the amount of time I''ve been programming.
Hey OreoBoy I know exactly what you mean. I would still enjoy a career in the games industry though. You will find that professionals are actually cooler than you think. I went to the australian game developers conference and the professionals looked nothing like what was sterotyped. In fact the only person I was supicious of was a fat guy in a hawian shirt and he turned out to be a artist. Most of the programmers looked more like rock stars with their hair half way down their backs(like mine ). I also play guitar as well. I used to be heaps into it, but I''m starting to play again as well. Instead of thinking about putting a band together, you should find a partner who is either a guitarist or bass player and has the same skills as you, and jam together and do that now. You will find yourself getting much better very fast.

David
" The fastest code is the code you don't call "
If professional coders were so darn anti-social, un-hygenic and a pain in the ass to work with this job would be impossible. You''re stuck with these people 9 - 5 at best and for days at a time at worst.
Most of the coders I''ve met have been fun loving people who enjoy a night out drinking and partying.
And I''ve been in the industry 3 years btw.

Mike
I am 18 years old and I am programming (games) since I was 12 years old. I think that a good game programmer has finished at least some university or something like that... Hardcore game programming involves so much math... you just don''t understand it if you are 14 years old or something like that.

Dark

I am 17 years old. I work at an ISP but I do games programming in my spare time. I plan to be in university for a long time, and I fear that by the time I get out, games technology will be too advanced for new programmers to be able to get into the industry If you''re thoughts on this differ, I will be interested to hear them.
hey, don''t say that people are too young to program stuff. My first introduction to programming was when I was programming my old ti-86 calculator in basic. Then I got into assembly for the ti-86 Zilog proccessor. This was when I was about 13. I even wrote a space invader game in good-ole asm. Then I got into computer programming. I started learning C. The game concepts came pretty easily at first. Within my first year I wrote Tic-Tac-Toe,Pong,Breakout, and Space Invader clones. I am now 15 and learning about OpenGL. I am even writing a basic protal engine. I hate when people that say you can''t learn when you''re too young. Granted I have not yet experienced all of the math that is needed, I am ahead for my age in my math class.
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
sorry I can''t spell worth anything, that''s portal engine, not protal engine.
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
I''m 23 and I work for a service company. I''ve tried to enter the games industry but here, in Spain, almost doesn''t exist. Besides, they pay half what you can get in the rest of the computer industry. However, I still keep in touch with a few guys in the industry.

By now, I''ve decided to do amateur game programming and see what will happen in the future.
Hope this gets posted as me (NeoReality).
I''m well chuffed on how well this post has gone. Its given me (and every one else) a look at the cross section of programmers in and trying to get into the Industry.

OreoBoy, I should soon be hooked through AOL IM as soon as ntl get me my fecking disk. To all thouse with musical tallent, I''m well jelious! I took GSCE music to find I couldn''t keep and note had no rythem and totally tone deaf! But at least i could read the music ;-P

Oh and OreoBoy! I don''t think there is Vickies secret over here,(UK) We''ve got Ann Summers Which I guess is the same kind of stuff! Oh and in Nottingham there is a two cool Bondage/fetish/Kinky underwear Shops. But the armoury''s prices are so high you need to be a tory politician to afford any thing ;->

MagicDude at 15 you''re doing damb well. At the same age I was following a similar path. In scouts one of the two badges I got was the computer badge. Then (10 years ago) we played with BBC Micros. Where in the UK are you? At school I excelled in the same areas, but I found jeliousy from some of the older kids who ran the computer club. If you encounter the same crap give them the finger and do it your way!
Oh And dont fear not being able to get into the industry if the stuff posted here is true, its just a case of time and effort! C++ at 15 you''ve got the skills!
And as for books you''re right on there finding information here is crap, but www.pcbooks.co.uk and amazon.co.uk should be all you need if your folks can help put up the cash!

BitBlt.. I''ve never seen a pic of Andre Lamothe, but I rate his books. And your handle is bang on!

8 Post''s left till dedicated

For all Coders in England any you guys n'' galls in or near Nottingham

What else do you need; besides a miricle.
Money. Lots of Money. or I''ll never do a sequel!
What else do you need; besides a miricle.Money. Lots of Money. or I''ll never do a sequel!
I believe you can find a picture of Andre on his website xgames3d.com - he''s not quite what you would expect (or maybe he is, depending on the person! )

Breakaway Games

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement