POST REMOVED

Started by
163 comments, last by GameDev.net 20 years ago
Obviously, Fidelio66 and I are on the same page just different side of the coin. Don''t dismiss anyone! Just a suggestion :D

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
LOL to all...
This gotta be the most funniest post I''ve ever read. When I saw the pictures I laughed so hard I dropped of my chair...

Can''t believe that some people take this kind of thing seriously... Abgupta4 had you all...

Milk is for babies
Just a nice, constructive comment:

Perhaps the game is fun, I dont know it, the screenshots look like they were made without love (and even quake 1 looks better).

Better take the homepage offline, since it doesn't seem very professional - especially since the links all point to index.html.

All in all I feel like someone wants to pull my leg.
This feeling increased when I looked what other topics you created here : not many.

And the E-Zine stuff makes me sick by the way.

After reading your posts here, I thought you were treated badly.
But with just 24 posts atm, I cant really think this community had really any chance to be unfair to you.

This will probably be the last time I look at this topic and neither will I post anything here any more.

Good luck and dont be offended by this - it's just my very personal opinion.

cu BlackHC

[edited by - BlackHC on February 16, 2004 12:13:41 PM]
I do know that I don't know anything.
Your having a laugh, right?
Hi, after reading this I felt sorry for mislead people, so I thought I would show you what good levels look like, I myself am a mapper/modeler, although I am not in the industry, I take what I do very professionaly.

so here is some screens enjoy

http://zombie.bhdnet.com/shots/shot0126.jpg
http://zombie.bhdnet.com/images/z13_q3_1_5.jpg
http://zombie.bhdnet.com/images/z13_dpmod3.jpg
http://zombie.bhdnet.com/images/z13_q3dm3_1.jpg

note: some are in beta form still
abgupta4, let me be fairly straightforward with you.

First off, almost every post you make hypes your game just like a late night infomercial. Infomercials are annoying, and they are totally bogus. Infomercials are what happens when someone comes up with an idea, and thinks they can convince everyone else in the world that it is the greatest. People involved with infomercials do not really believe in what they sell, but they think they have the skills to convince people that they want their product. A truely good product does not need the skills of a con-artist to make sales. Provide the real facts, and people will give more respect in considering the idea. Do not force your beliefs onto your customers. I don''t want to buy your game simply because of your non-professionalism.

Secondly, excuses are pointless. Nobody cares if they can''t create 3d models, nobody cares how good or bad you used to be, and nobody cares how much you''ve improved. If I am looking for a game to play, I will look at the game currently to be purchased. I am not going to compare it to previous games (UNLESS it is claiming to be ground-breaking and revolutionary), but instead I am going to compare it to other games currently available that are similar, and try to figure out what is unique in each situation, and which one I think I would like more. Making an excuse that you don''t have millions of dollars and therefore you can''t hire a large team is not going to sell your game. It might make me feel bad, but if I feel sorry for you that you don''t have a lot of money, that isn''t going to make me pay for your game, it is going to make me realize that you don''t have a large team and therefore I can probably get a better product from someone that does have a large team and millions of dollars of effort to pour into creating a good solid game with nice graphics and established gameplay. This isn''t to say you should try to con me into thinking you have billions of dollars. Be careful.

Now, just because YOU think you have an incredible product doesn''t mean you can easily convince other people that you do. You really do have to make a competing game. When people look at the back of your box and see dull, undetailed graphics, they are going to see that not a lot of effort was put into making the game pleasing to the eye, and they are going to throw it right back on the shelf and pick up something else. Game players first need to stare at the screen for hours, if that isn''t enjoyed, then experiencing the gameplay through a non-enoyable interface isn''t going to be fun either.

Also, pushing things off and saying ''it will be in the second version'' is okay, but you have to realize that saying that immediately dismisses the first version as an acceptable product. I will just not bother with the first version and wait until the second one to see if I want to buy it.

I do admire you for creating a game and pouring your heart into it, but you have to step back for a second and look at your game objectively and realize what it is that you really have, and how others will think about it. Looking at the screenshots a character with boxed feet isn''t going to be pleasing for me to look at, especially if I am going to be playing as the character for the entire game. It is simply unacceptable. Again, saying you don''t have the resources of a large company is not going to make it better, it''s just an excuse for trying to sell something of worse quality.

Also, I don''t understand your philosophy. You seem to think that when a company looks at ten similar products, and sees that millions of people purchased that product, then looks at another ten similar products of a different type, and sees that only five thousand sales were made, that it is flawed to think that more people like the products that sold millions.

Society has trends, as does gaming. It is impossible to be ignorant of what game players want to play in designing a product intended to sell. If everyone in the world likes playing first person shooters, then it is going to take a LOT of hard work to convince them that they want to play your RPG. Sure, maybe a few people will do it, but that is not the masses. The masses will look in the first person shooter SECTION of the game shelf for the next game they want to buy. It takes time for a new genre to hold the masses. Surely a game that looks like crap is not going to convince people that it will be a good thing to play, and saying things like "it is the best storyline ever created", or "we didn''t have a lot of money but we still made a really really good game that will make other developers shudder" on the back of the box is not going to convince people of it. Stop acting like an infomercial, any product advertised like that is automatically assumed to be sub-par in a lot of people''s minds.

Example, Sierra On-Line sold millions of Adventure games in the eighties and early nineties. There was no such thing as a first person shooter. Today, there is a very small market for adventure games, and no matter how much your low-budget team pushes an adventure product, without a lot of money to blow on legit advertising, most people are simply not going to look at it.

that cost you what?????
$500,000 , $750,000!?!??!?!
LOL! (if you don''t understand my question read the third page)

but in all honestly those screenshots were beautiful!!
do you do this as a hobby or a living?

maybe you could give ab...4 as a hand or two.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Ive read everything (so you cant insult me of not doing this).

Still I think it would be better to take the site offline.
And then you have time to get a professional homepage and create a good impression.

Ok, and now the destructive comment:
The quake 1 and 2 (or the Torque engine - used in Tribes) engines are free now under GPL.
And they dont cost that much. Perhaps you wont even get them any more as license. I dont know the policy of id software that good.

You could have made a perfect conversion if not more and then get a publisher to give you the money, etc.

Still good luck with it. I look forward to playing the demo.

cu BlackHC

PS: I've just read the post of the AP. Good point.

[edited by - BlackHC on February 16, 2004 12:51:15 PM]

[edited by - BlackHC on February 16, 2004 12:59:44 PM]
I do know that I don't know anything.
thanks for the praise, yes I know games need physics, sounds, music etc, I just dont do those things, but if you and I went to a publisher and showed both our products I would have a 500% better chance off getting a contract, because my work is well presented neat and clean.

btw those maps have great gameplay (so I know whats needed for a game)
quote:Original post by abgupta4
Zombie13: Amazing stuff looks very nice. You''ve been doing levels for a long time it seems

Levels are not the only part to a game however, but your graphics are AMAZING :D I do admit

There is a lot more to look after in a game, AI, Physics, Music/Sound...I mean everyone is going mental like graphics is the ONLY thing that games are good for in the market!!!

There is a good reason for this, and that reason is that most players buy a game nowadays because of it''s graphics. Unless you have VERY extraordinary AI or Physics, nobody is going to consider it a selling point. Unreal was known for it''s AI, because it was considered unique and something that wasn''t done before. Half Life 2 is becoming known because of it''s physics, because it is truely done well enough to be considered unique. Most players will ask "let me see some screenshots" in determining if they will buy your game. If the game looks like crap, it can have the best AI in the world, and maybe some researchers will be interested in it, but the mass market of gamers simply aren''t going to be phased by it.

quote:
They are a part of the games...but there is a lot more...

You however when it comes to levels, you did a great job :D

We didn''t use the Quake 3 Engine for our stuff however.

Nice stuff,

Nav

You seem to think that just because you''re you then that exempts you from competing with other products, yet you claim that you have a really great game. If it doesn''t stand up against most other games out there, why is it so great?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement