Should I Get An iPod?

Started by
46 comments, last by od1n 19 years, 9 months ago
I really do wish the iPod supported OGG and FLAC (not so much WMA, but it would be nice too).

I'd gladly pay their (relatively) insane prices for one if that capability was there. Well, either that or if they released the Game SDK so I could start building games for the little guy (uCLinux on it isn't very impressive yet). It is a really cool looking little device though.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
did I mention that my Clie has a full color, 320x320, backlit display? The processor is even good enough to run Doom-like games, and I bet the one I played wasn't even coded very well (it had other buggy issues that did not effect the graphics). The ONLY instance where my Clie does not outshine the iPod is in it's memory size, I only have a 256MB flash stick and the iPod has atleast a 15GB harddrive. But come on, who needs 10,000 songs at one time?

Yeah, but who wants to play Quake on a PDA?

Acoustica:
Hehe, sorry, I missed that post :( Yeah, if iTunes converts it for me, I could honestly care less. As long as I can get them on there! But, if they only play .m4p's, do they convert .mp3's as well?

- CD
Here are the audio specs from Apple's website:
Quote:Audio formats supported: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 (32 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible, AIFF, Apple lossless and WAV

Looks like ya can, so I'd suggest the iPod. [grin]
iRiver

They're sexy, have a backlit LCD & remote with backlit LCD, have an FM radio tuner built in, and you can also play snake on the remote ^_^

Oh, and, no special software needed to upload files. It acts as a USB mass storage device which windows XP already has driver support for.
pixelwrench.com | [email="matt[nospam]@pixelwrench[nospam]com"]email[/email] lethalhamster: gamedev keeps taking my money, but im too lazy to not let them
Quote:
But come on, who needs 10,000 songs at one time?

For decent quality, you're going to be using 128Kbps minimum. That's about 4k songs on a 20GB hard drive.

I use that much, easily. It rocks like you wouldn't believe to have every single song you own at your fingertips, carrying it with you wherever you go. I can take it to work, my car, wherever, and listen to anything I want, whenever I want.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

Quote:Original post by Etnu
Quote:
But come on, who needs 10,000 songs at one time?

For decent quality, you're going to be using 128Kbps minimum. That's about 4k songs on a 20GB hard drive.

I use that much, easily. It rocks like you wouldn't believe to have every single song you own at your fingertips, carrying it with you wherever you go. I can take it to work, my car, wherever, and listen to anything I want, whenever I want.

Have you, uh, considered working for Apple? You've pretty much sold me on it.. ;)

Acoustica:
Thanks, that looks good. Did I mention I love you for this?

About the iRiver
I was considering it, but for me it's a little bit more expensive, and to be honest I don't like the interface much at all- although I know it's a great player.

- CD
Quote:Original post by Xtremehobo
iRiver

They're sexy, have a backlit LCD & remote with backlit LCD, have an FM radio tuner built in, and you can also play snake on the remote ^_^

Oh, and, no special software needed to upload files. It acts as a USB mass storage device which windows XP already has driver support for.

I must really agree. I got an iRiver IHP-140 a while ago (its the next-to-last version, 40GB HD) and i love it. It plays mp3 , wav, ogg, can record, have FM-radio, very nice remote etc etc.. I am a very satisfied customer.

As i already got mine i haven't checked out their latest model, but i am sure it is at least as good.

What made me go for iRiver was both price (compared to iPod) and the fact no external app is needed. I've uploaded files with both windows and linux, no problem whatsoever (the sideffect is that you can use it as USB2 external harddrive, it can store any filetype :)

-Mårten
iPod Mini!

Buy it!

Now!
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
iPod minis have a serious design flaw - the headphone circuit board is connected to the main board via a crappy little connector that breaks over time (3 months in some cases). IMHO, the mini is not worth buying, but the original iPod looks great. I'm also torn between the iPod and the Zen XTra. I had a Jukebox 2 before and it was awesome - the Zen is just a newer version of it.
I love my iPod so much. I got a 40gb one for Christmas and I've loaded it up with almost 2900 songs, and I still have over 20gb to go. It's great being able to carry all your songs everywhere you go.
I just throw it into the belt-clip holder and go. I can use it in my car very easily by using the iTrip to broadcast through the radio, and once you find a good place to set it the sound quality is surprisingly good.
If you do buy one I recommend you get some better headphones as the white ones that come with it suck, a lot. Mine broke and they wouldn't replace them ebcause they claimed I broke them (The cap came off the speaker-cone portion)
I love my little Sennheiser MX-400s because they provide quality very close to over the ear phones but you can throw them in your pocket. Oh, and if you buy them from the link, they aren't actually refurbished, they come in the original seal packaging.

Edit: Holy crap, you're in San Diego too. Awesome.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement