Disallow moderators from viewing those who rated them down

Started by
72 comments, last by superpig 19 years, 8 months ago
Ratings are new to GDNet regardless of any comparison to previous systems. They are not the same as post count rankings.

I've already made it quite evident that trustworthiness is not the issue. If you would have read my reply to Extrarius, you would know that (if you understood what I wrote): "Trust is subjective. Trust depends on an individual's perception. Reality extends beyond the single mind in a manner of speaking; therefore, the trustworthiness of certain individuals is irrelevant as one person trusted by Person A may not be trusted by Person B."

You cannot globally define who can be trusted and who cannot be trusted. Trustworthiness is therefore irrelevant.

You claim that there were no instances of abuse in the past and because of that there will be no abuse in the future. That is a very flawed argument. The U.S. had never attacked another country with nuclear weaponry before Japan. You had never been a GDNet moderator before GDNet. Things change and the process of ethical corrosion continues. While history can be used to predict the future, history is not accurately representative of future events due to the future being unknown.

One of the first signs of a corrupt police system is the appearance of no signs at all.

Now please, moderators, stop trying to hijack the thread to retain your ability to abuse the ratings system.
Advertisement
Your suggestion has been noted. You can expect the staff to mull it over and make their decision, but not to necessarily communicate it to the community at large.

Thank you.
Quote:Original post by Washu
If a mod were so shallow as to rate you down for rating them down, then they wouldn't be a mod. I've got all sorts of negative ratings on my page, and most of them I've never rated, let alone rated down. As far as I can tell, most people aren't affraid to rate us down, so I see no grounds for your excuse. While I'm not opposed to disallowing moderators from viewing their negative ratings, I'm also not really for it. It would sure make it harder to catch ratings abusers (as most of us find them due to the fact that they have a penchant for rating moderators down.)

Actually, this did happen to me about a month ago, but I decided not contact a staff member because I didn't want to bother them. BTW, I knew it was a mod who rated me down because I hardly ever post, just read, and about 2 hours after I rated the mod down, I noticed a 20 point drop in my rating. I believe I will contact a staff member now though, after reading this thread.
The 20 points you lost aren't worth the time you'd spend recovering them. It may not have been a mod, I made a 40 point difference on someone (I think he had a rating of 0), and rate people up and down on a whim.
Quote:Original post by Chris Hare
The 20 points you lost aren't worth the time you'd spend recovering them. It may not have been a mod, I made a 40 point difference on someone (I think he had a rating of 0), and rate people up and down on a whim.

I couldn't care less about my rating. What I do care about is that this mod abused his powers by revenge rating me because he knew it was me who rated him down. Also, I highly doubt that I had one or two people just randomly find my profile and rate me down.(Like I said, I hardly ever post)
Whadaya mean you don't post much? Your post per day rate is twice mine... Anyway, it doesn't take much to be rated down, or up. I can't think of a mod who would do that without reason, especially the mods that frequent the programming forums [good bunch a chaps].
Quote:Original post by Chris Hare
Whadaya mean you don't post much? Your post per day rate is twice mine... Anyway, it doesn't take much to be rated down, or up. I can't think of a mod who would do that without reason, especially the mods that frequent the programming forums [good bunch a chaps].

I guess I should have said I don't post much anymore. At the time that I got rated down, I had posted once and it was about Doom 3 I believe, and had nothing wrong in it, and this was about a day or two before I got rated down. Like I said, about 2 hours after I rated the mod down, I was rated down, so that pretty much shows it was a revenge rating.
Quote:Original post by Bakingsoda36
Like I said, about 2 hours after I rated the mod down, I was rated down, so that pretty much shows it was a revenge rating.
ROFLMAO!
I would like to see a system similar to Experts Exchange (http://www.experts-exchange.com) where the creater of the post selects the best response as the answer to their problem and (in their case) that person gets the points that the creater was offering for an answer. I don't necesarily like the point wagering system but I do like that the creater A)is the only one that can change anyones rating, B) has the ability to reward a good answer but not punish a bad answer, that is the moderators job, and C) gives a (small) incentive to answer the question and be productive.

Just my thoughs

*zips back up flame suit
Jesus Christ, why is this thread even open? What is it about your 'rating' that is so damned important to you? Do you get benefits from it? Will people not read your post if your rating is too low? Is your life ANY DIFFERENT if your rating changes? Get over yourselves.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement