Disallow moderators from viewing those who rated them down

Started by
72 comments, last by superpig 19 years, 8 months ago
Personally, I thought the rating thing was kinda cool. I mean, who wouldn't, *in theory* get points for helping out other people and etc. However, I would be content if the rating were simply abolished. Let's face it, it would get rid of a lot of threads like this one. :-)

Perhaps there could just be a rank for how many posts you do.. granted that may lead to some post inflation, but come on.. let's stop arguing about ratings. Who cares?

Gamedev.net is a site for learning and helping others, not boosting up someone's ego because they have a higher rating. By the way, if you are "rated" that high, you will be known by your reputation, not your rating score.

Peace out.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Bakingsoda36
Like I said, about 2 hours after I rated the mod down, I was rated down, so that pretty much shows it was a revenge rating.

What on Earth are you smoking?! You might have trouble coping with this, but there are absolutely NO moderators in your list of members who've rated you, so this is completely false. Gosh, you must have been rated down for something valid! [wow] [wink]

EDIT: Scratch that; there's one, but he's not the type I would think would do that. [smile] It's still quite a conclusion leap, though ... not the only negative rating you've gotten ...

And I've never heard of a mod getting "revenge". Though a whole lot of people like to get revenge on me ("Close my thread, will you? RATE DOWN!!") [rolleyes] So quit complaining. We get cool powers because we've proved we can be trusted with them. You have a specific example where that isn't the case, e-mail Dave.

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

Quote:Original post by 23yrold3yrold
Like I said, about 2 hours after I rated the mod down, I was rated down, so that pretty much shows it was a revenge rating.

What on Earth are you smoking?! You might have trouble coping with this, but there are absolutely NO moderators in your list of members who've rated you, so this is completely false. Gosh, you must have been rated down for something valid! [wow] [wink]

EDIT: Scratch that; there's one, but he's not the type I would think would do that. [smile] It's still quite a conclusion leap, though ... not the only negative rating you've gotten ...

Ok, look through my profile and see if I've posted anything offensive worthy of being rated down for by a mod. I looked and saw nothing. Also, you make it sound like I've been rated down many times. I've seen my rating drop 2 times by a couple of points, so that means I've been rated down by probably a max of 3 or 4 people.

Quote:
And I've never heard of a mod getting "revenge". Though a whole lot of people like to get revenge on me ("Close my thread, will you? RATE DOWN!!") [rolleyes] So quit complaining. We get cool powers because we've proved we can be trusted with them. You have a specific example where that isn't the case, e-mail Dave.

Like I stated earlier, I saw nothing in my profile in the time period that I was rated down, worthy of being rated down for.
Ok, look through my profile and see if I've posted anything offensive worthy of being rated down for by a mod. I looked and saw nothing. Also, you make it sound like I've been rated down many times. I've seen my rating drop 2 times by a couple of points, so that means I've been rated down by probably a max of 3 or 4 people.

It's late on a Sunday night and I'm just going to bed; I'm not going spelunking in your 551-post history at the best of times, much less now. I've seen plenty of people claim they've done nothing to get rated down when they bloody well have. I'm not going to accuse you of being as self-righteous as some people, but I consider myself safe in assuming that if a mod rated you down, it was for doing something worth rating you down for. And since you apparently know you're not above being rated down (and really, who is?), assuming it was an act of revenge seems a bit childish. If you honestly have good reason to think you got abused by a mod, e-mail Dave about it.

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

Quote:Original post by SteelGolem
...blah, blah, blah...

You've contributed nothing relevant to this discussion. I'd say you're attempting to hijack it. This thread does not concern the psychology of ratings. It concerns the ethical corrosion process, which remains ongoing, and possible solutions to hinder the process. It also concerns a checks and balances system that applies the same rules to moderators as to us real normal users.

It's obvious that ratings aren't going anywhere. From what I gather, the ratings system is here to stay. Minor enhancements like rating titles replacing numerical values are possible future events but the flaw remains. So let's fix it before the damage can only be repaired by demoting moderators and disestablishing the ratings system.
I think this thread is lost.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Adraeus
Quote:Original post by SteelGolem
...blah, blah, blah...

You've contributed nothing relevant to this discussion.
Oh, the irony!
Oh dear. It's really sad, how some people are so concerned about their ratings. It's just a number on an anyonymous internet community, Jeez.

[blunt mode]

Anyway, Adraeus, let me tell you something. Have you looked at your profile recently ? Pretty much all of your posts are almost exclusively in lounge & co. You've been a member for 3 months now, yet you already act as if you owned this place. You know how much your objective contribution to this site is right now ? Zero, absolutely zero, my friend. As of now, you are no productive asset to this community. You're a lounge lizard. Some may even say a troll.

FYI, you have many, many negative ratings in your profile. And many more from regular members than from mods. That's generally a sign that people do not appreciate the way you act in this community. Let me be blunt (and please don't come up with any pathetic "you're an evil mod" now, I'm saying this as a human being using this internet service): I think you're arrogant, condescending and basically open your big mouth a little too often. And apparently, I'm not the only one with that opinion. Quite frankly, your current rating is no sign of personal mod vendetta against you, it's a sign that you're pissing people off with your attitude. It's just as simple as that.

My suggestion: contribute something to the site, before whining and bitching around. This is a game development site, if you haven't noticed. Go into the technical forums, and help people instead of wasting your time and energy on threads like this one. You'd be surprised how fast your rating might go up when people realize that you're helpful. Earn yourself some respect, and adjust your attitude. Then, and only then, come back and complain about things you don't like. This is a community, and it's about taking and giving. Perhaps the problem is not the community, nor the mods, but you. Think about it.

[/blunt mode]
I've seen my rating drop 2 times by a couple of points, so that means I've been rated down by probably a max of 3 or 4 people.
Here, ladies and gentlemen, we have a classic case of ignorance of ignorance. That is not a typo.

Bakingsoda36 does not understand how the ratings system works, but he thinks he does. He is unaware that he does not understand (ergo, ignorance of ignorance). On the basis of his faulty assumptions, he draws ludicrous inferences and makes unfounded accusations. All quite entertaining to me, but quite serious to himself and a few others.

The moral of this story? Inform yourself. There was a huge sticky thread and FAQ when the new forums were launched, including a thread dedicated to explaining the ratings system. Obviously, Bakingsoda36 has not taken advantage of that resource.

Oh, and don't drink and drive. Or something.
Yep, now the thread's dead.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement