What do you think about Mideast crisis

Started by
1,520 comments, last by LessBread 17 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Their rocket attacks killed very few soldiers(12 if I'm not mistaken). And that was by chance too. The guerilla warfare is what caused almost all the military losses, and it is also the main reason so many Lebanese civilians died.

I thought it was because of all the ordinance that Israel dropped.
Advertisement
did i miss it or has nobody noticed that the UN can't find troops for it's force?
no western country wants to give a reasonable number of soldiers (esp. france - they want the lead and give 200 soldiers [totally]).
so far they only have about 3500 soldiers - they want 15.000. and most of them come from countries like bangladesh - countries that continuously give troops to UN operations, because they make money with it and their soldiers aren't worth anything.
------------------------------------------------------------Jawohl, Herr Oberst!
Quote:Original post by shmoove
Quote:
Israel has ignored the international community before, it it wanted to continue with it's ground offensive, it would have. You're obviously missing part of the picture.

It wanted to. But it didn't. So I'm afraid you're wrong there.

shmoove

What, because it *only* ignored the international community for a month?
Israel apparently also believes that the current ceasefire does not apply to them.
Quote:Original post by firahs
Quote:Their rocket attacks killed very few soldiers(12 if I'm not mistaken). And that was by chance too. The guerilla warfare is what caused almost all the military losses, and it is also the main reason so many Lebanese civilians died.

I thought it was because of all the ordinance that Israel dropped.

I know this won't fit in with your view of the murderous Israeli army, but, fighting a few guerillas entrenched in buildings is very hard, and you will have many losses doing it. Transforming a whole village into a parking lot, on the other hand, is very easy. And still, the IDF went into the same villages over and over again, and suffered many losses. But most of those villages are still standing.

shmoove
Quote:Original post by Eelco
Quote:Original post by LessBread
so what specifically should they be proud of? their indiscriminate rocket attacks? their urban guerellia tactics? seems to me it was the international community that drove out isreal, because the ground offensive, while with losses on both sides, was pretty sustainable in terms of kill ratio.

As I wrote previously, they should be proud that they survived the air attacks and they held off the ground assault. If you want me to go on, they should also be proud that their indiscriminant rocket attacks killed more soldiers than civilians - which is something that the Israelis can't say about their supposedly accurate bombs.

im sorry? how much soldiers did they kill with their rockets? only two or three that im aware of. if you would care to enlighten me...? not to mention that the relatively low number of casualities on the isreali side wasnt due to hezbollahs mercy, but rather thanks to isrealis knowing better than to remain inside buildings that are beng bombarded.

Only two or three? I see you haven't been paying attention.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
Quote:
Israel has ignored the international community before, it it wanted to continue with it's ground offensive, it would have. You're obviously missing part of the picture.

shmoove

What, because it *only* ignored the international community for a month?
Israel apparently also believes that the current ceasefire does not apply to them.

Are we talking about the same international community that wanted so bad for the fighting to stop but now doesn't want to send anyone to comply with the terms of the cease fire?

And if I remember correctly, the agreement included not rearming Hizballah (too bad it didn't mention disarming them), which was the purpose of yesterday's operation.

shmoove
so what specifically should they be proud of? their indiscriminate rocket attacks? their urban guerellia tactics? seems to me it was the international community that drove out isreal, because the ground offensive, while with losses on both sides, was pretty sustainable in terms of kill ratio.

As I wrote previously, they should be proud that they survived the air attacks and they held off the ground assault. If you want me to go on, they should also be proud that their indiscriminant rocket attacks killed more soldiers than civilians - which is something that the Israelis can't say about their supposedly accurate bombs.

im sorry? how much soldiers did they kill with their rockets? only two or three that im aware of. if you would care to enlighten me...? not to mention that the relatively low number of casualities on the isreali side wasnt due to hezbollahs mercy, but rather thanks to isrealis knowing better than to remain inside buildings that are beng bombarded.

I think you're the one that hasn't been paying attention. One rocket killed twelve soldiers. That's it. And it wasn't because Hizballah was aiming at any military targets. It's because they happenned to hit a group of soldiers that were waiting for orders near Kiryat Shmone.

shmoove

12 if we are to believe shmoove. thats makes my guess off by nine, so it would seem my guess was the better one by a fair margin.

also note the difference between 'that im aware of' and your matter of factly reporting.
As I wrote previously, they should be proud that they survived the air attacks and they held off the ground assault.

I see you have fallen for the propaganda too. Hizballah didn't hold off any invasion. The only thing that held off the invasion was pressure from the world. People like you. And for that, you should be proud of yourself, and not of Nasrallah. I'm afraid though, that there was a lack of forethought in all this pressure. Because the chances for a much bloodier encounter in the very near future have just increased ten-fold.

So that's how the defeat is being spun there eh? That Israel would have won if it hadn't had been for pressure from the world conjoined with some fear mongering about how it will only lead to a worse war in the future. Forget about how Bush said in effect that Israel should have all the time it needed. Forget about the success Hezbollah had with anti-tank rockets [1], [2]

Quote:If you want me to go on, they should also be proud that their indiscriminant rocket attacks killed more soldiers than civilians - which is something that the Israelis can't say about their supposedly accurate bombs.

Their rocket attacks killed very few soldiers(12 if I'm not mistaken). And that was by chance too. The guerilla warfare is what caused almost all the military losses, and it is also the main reason so many Lebanese civilians died.

12 in one incident, but there were others. It seems clear to me that the main reason so many Lebanese civilians died was because they were bombed. For example, there was no guerilla war in Beirut.

Quote:

Sure they did. With infighting among the generals and politicians and reservists commissioning an opinion poll [3], yeah, sure they wanted to continue with the ground offensive.

Quote:
In the poll, published in the Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper on Friday, 91 percent of respondents - all civilians - said that the IDF should bomb villages from the air, while 8 percent said they should depend on ground forces. The poll was on the verge of swaying the war's execution when news of a cease-fire deal broke.

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by maximAL
did i miss it or has nobody noticed that the UN can't find troops for it's force?
no western country wants to give a reasonable number of soldiers (esp. france - they want the lead and give 200 soldiers [totally]). so far they only have about 3500 soldiers - they want 15.000. and most of them come from countries like bangladesh - countries that continuously give troops to UN operations, because they make money with it and their soldiers aren't worth anything.

It doesn't surprise me. Why would they want to sacrifice their troops in the meat grinder? Especially when those soldiers might not be welcomed by the Israelis: Israel: Not all nations welcome in U.N. force

Quote:
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel objects to including countries that do not have diplomatic relations with the Jewish state in a planned United Nations force for southern Lebanon, the country's ambassador to the United Nations said on Friday.

Malaysia and Indonesia have each offered to send 1,000 troops to Lebanon. Both countries, with Muslim majority populations, have no diplomatic ties with Israel and strongly support the Palestinian cause.

"It would be very difficult if not inconceivable for Israel to accept troops from countries who do not recognize Israel, who have no diplomatic relations with Israel," Israel's U.N. Ambassador Dan Gillerman told the BBC.

Gillerman said Israel would be "very happy" to accept troops from Muslim countries it has friendly relations with.

"But to expect countries who don't even recognize Israel to guard Israel's safety I think would be a bit naive," he said.

Malaysia's Foreign Minister Syed Hamid Albar dismissed Gillerman's remarks, saying, "we're going to be on Lebanese territory ... we're not going to be on Israeli territory."

Meanwhile, it appears that Israel has violated the ceasefire.

Israeli raid in Lebanon strains truce

Quote:
BEIRUT (Reuters) - Israeli commandos raided a Hizbollah stronghold in the eastern Bekaa Valley on Saturday in what Lebanon called a "naked violation" of the U.N.-backed truce that ended Israel's 34-day war with Hizbollah guerrillas.

Israeli commando dies in Lebanon raid

Quote:
BEIRUT, Lebanon -- Hezbollah fighters battled Israeli commandos who landed near the militants' stronghold deep inside Lebanon early Saturday, killing one soldier, in the first large-scale violation of the U.N.-brokered cease-fire between the sides.

Hezbollah said its guerrillas foiled the raid after a gunbattle, and the Israeli army said one soldier was killed and two were wounded, one seriously.

Witnesses said Israeli missiles destroyed a bridge during the raid - the first major violation of the U.N.-imposed cease-fire that took effect Monday following 34 days of fighting.

Who was it that said that Hezbollah would be the first to violate the ceasefire? Now, I know there was an incident with a rocket launch a few days ago, but those rockets landed in Lebanon. In contrast, here we have a commando raid deep into Lebanon - already being spun as "self-defense" - but it simply shows that the Lebanese were correct to disagree with the first draft of the ceasefire agreement.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement