BoardGame Programming

Started by
5 comments, last by johnhattan 17 years, 5 months ago
Hello, i am developping a board game similar to monopoly and would like to know wich language to use, I currently using VB 6 but I would like to create a game who will run on Win98, Win2K XP and MacOs and eventualy on linux... I know tha C++ can do the job but I have a hard time to understant it, I like VB because its easy you drawn your window and click on a control (Image button etc) and you just add the code under it... Is there a C++ version who is easy has vb? or a vb that work on multi plateform?
Advertisement
i don't know if there is any c++ ide that is as easy to use as VB (i seriously doubt it), and window code is generally platform specific with c++.

if you want a reasonably easy to use language that can run on virtually any OS you should look into java or .Net (.Net applications can run on linux using mono).

VB.Net should be as easy to use as VB6 (or even easier) , java is a bit harder but has a better multiplatform support than .Net
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
You got some options, depending on your skill and/or budget..;P

SDL - You don't seem to favour C/C++ but this library makes it much easier for making PC/Linux/MacOS code.

PTK - Another gem for making PC/Mac compatible code.

Blitz3D - Uses a bit of a scripting language approach but still produces fast code for both PC/Linux and Mac.

Torque Game Builder - Yup, PC/Linux and Mac compatible. In most cases you don't need to touch any C++ code, as you interface with script..

hth,
Actually Visual C++ has an interface the same as VB (drag and drop the components).
Hi Thanks for the reply, actualy i was a RPG/400 programmer witch is Text application then I learn VB and Html+&#106avascript, No Im programming in Perl since 5 years so its also text mode even if wia the navigator and &#106avascript we can make gui interface.<br><br>I found &#111;n the web protara who is similar in the design to VB but &#111;nly work &#111;n window and pure basic who is supposed to work in window linux and mac os<br><br>I will tahe a look to the program you said evec in the c++, the last time i tryed C++ the code and the form was separated maybe this have changed since...<br><br>
Flash would be a fine choice, runs on all the platforms, gives you a drag and drop interface, easy to use and lets you distribute the content on web pages.

If you wanted a visual, windows only solution, I'd recommend C++ builder or Delphi, both IDE's made by Borland.

Honestly, if you don't want to go the Flash route, you might want to rethink getting it to work across all the platforms. Even getting all three environments setup with a complier and third party library will be hard, no to mention writing an entire program that doesn't call a single platform specific function.
I think there's to much blood in my caffeine system.
Flash would be a good choice because it wouldn't necessarily have a computationally intensive AI. It'd largely be a rules-based system. Something like minimax would be out because it's not a game of perfect information by a long shot (i.e. it has dice and event cards).

All that being said, Monopoly wouldn't be a good starting-out project by a long shot. It has loads of rules and phases and cards that need to be coded for.

If this is a starting-out project, I'd recommend you tackle something easier like Tic Tac Toe or Fox and Geese, etc. The rules for those are much more straightforward and easier to code. Once you have those tackled, go for something a little deeper.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement