Games surprisingly Good.

Started by
85 comments, last by Jeff_Palmer 17 years, 1 month ago
Arg, I want to know why some people list some of these games as sleepers?

StarCraft and WarCraft (I/II/III) are definitely not sleepers, they were huge hits right from the start (and still are to many). Also, Final Fantasy was not a sleeper when it first came out (in Japan), but was a sleeper when it came to the US (which is why FFII/III wasn't first ported over here, FFI had almost zero success at first).

As for my sleepers:

Hillsfar, old TSR game (remember them, they made DnD before Wizards bought them), it was a fun and quite original game, many different gameplay elements in it. It was rereleased for a short while in a collection pack, came with a lot of good games TSR games, too.

Hero's Quest, the game that became the Quest for Glory that we all know and love, I remember the 4 floppy version, ahhh, the good old day of having to switch disks ever couple screens! This was almost a complete unknown when it first came out, but thanks to the success of all it's kin (King's/Space/Police Quest), it was able to gain popularity.
Advertisement
Wii Sports Golf - The first time I played, the lag in the controls really turned me off of it. It took some convincing to get me to play it again. Once I got the hang of the controls, it is an excellent arcade golf game and an absolute blast to play with friends. If only there were more holes...

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

4000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire :)
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
Quote:Original post by Phaz
In terms of games surprisingly good I'd have to go with the following. I think there are a lot of great games already mentioned, but many of them aren't really suprisingly good, it was known they were going to be good.

Tribes I and II - Amazing multiplayer experience.
Sacrifice - Fun gameplay that is very addicting.
Star Controll II - I agree for the same reasons already listed
Lego Star Wars (any) - It seems very gimmicky, but sit down with a friend and a copy of this game, and you will have a good time.

Always hear good things about Sacrifice. Aaaaaalmost got it one time when it was getting phased off the store shelves but my system at the time would have had some trouble with it. Should have thought ahead.

I loved Tribes 2. Always got smoked though. What did they do to the game with 3 anyway? Deleting all of the good on-line modes and sticking you with amusing sports games was a stupid move. All the story and new modes would have been fine but the droping of core content kills. I keep wanting to reinstall T2 but alas I lost my case of games in a move and not sure if I will ever find it. A 120 Disk book all gone to who knows where. Seriously who knows? I want my games back.

------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
Not sure if this was mentioned, so... a game that I belive surprised everyone: Wolfenstein 3D (and its sequel Spear of Destiny). This was almost the first game I ever played on the PC (I had a Spectrum Z80 before that [smile]) and it felt like magic. I played it so much that the magic is long gone, but still one to remeber. Too bad there isn't a Windows version, I don't like how it runs on DOSBox.
Quote:Original post by Paradigm Shifter
4000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire :)

Now we know how many holes it takes to fill Wii Sports Golf?

I don't get it.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Ill Bleed (DC): Im a sucker for blood and cheesy horror
Resident Evil 4 (GC): By far one of the bets games ive ever played and very well animated!
Fable (PC): Played through the good twice and evil once, nuf said.
Battlefield 2142 (PC): Man i hated the demo but the guys ta work got it and then got me hocked, im now at 6dyas+ for time played.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement