PyOpenGL Forums

Started by
29 comments, last by Geometrian 16 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by superpig
I've posted some notes about the design of the system in my journal - all feedback is appreciated.
Ah, I see.
You'd be amazed how intelligent people can be utterly lacking in common sense. [grin] I'd give that argument some weight were it not for the fact that people already post things in the wrong forums even when the right forum is fairly clear. Besides, what makes language such a great classification for the taxonomy? Perhaps we should have '2D OpenGL' and '3D OpenGL', or 'Simple Rendering' and 'Complex Rendering', or 'API issues' and 'Graphics Theory' (oh, wait)... there are a whole bunch of different ways you could cut it. Ultimately it doesn't work because the classifications we want aren't hierarchical. 'C++' and 'Python' are not subcategories of 'OpenGL.'

I still think people are smarter than that... but it's true that languages are not subclasses of OpenGL, though having 8 OpenGL forums for 8 languages makes no sense either.
I would agree that this is unusual; I think I may have seen it happen a couple of times, but that's in my reading of the forum over six years. [smile] I would suspect, as well, that it's less that people forgot which language you asked for, but more than they don't know the language well enough to write in it themselves yet still wanted to try and help you. Was there nothing helpful in the non-Python replies that you received?
Now, I have seen that before -- people giving help in another language on purpose; everything anyone says is helpful, so nothing is a waste. I'm referring to a time when a topic got really large and people didn't read the first page. So some people forgot (I know because they admitted it after that other guy posted) or didn't realize that the topic should be closed anyway because my problem was solved.
Quote:Original post by d000hg
If you post in the OpenGL forum and say "I'm using Python" and someone posts code in C++, why not reply with "I don't know C++, can anyone help me convert this to python"?
Or, post a link to it in a Python forum "How would I convert this C++ to Python?"
"Hello everybody, yes, I have a question... but before I begin, I (don't laugh) don't know C++". Because every programmer worth anything in the real world knows C++. Everything is written in C++, though in my opinion languages like Python are much easier to read and write. I learned enough to write a simple game my first day.
Quote:Original post by d000hg
Or, learn enough C++ to understand what the code does.
That's my solution, though I'm still not good enough to even write the most basic programs with it...

[size="1"]And a Unix user said rm -rf *.* and all was null and void...|There's no place like 127.0.0.1|The Application "Programmer" has unexpectedly quit. An error of type A.M. has occurred.
[size="2"]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement