"MMORPG"

Started by
47 comments, last by a2k 16 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by CooleoBen
The game so far with my basic math is going to have over 100,000 different weps, 1,000 sets of armor, this games map is split up like gw and its massive.

Well, at least your starting small. I'd suggest getting a team of 20-30 people first. How many people do you have working for you now?

Advertisement
I think this guy got banned a couple of days ago.
for being a troll

could be the same guy?
I just wanted to see if he would actually do it. Also, this test will rule out any problems with system services.
What's "visual basics"?

@OP: I think you need to do more research and actual coding before you even attempt something like this. 100,000 different weapon types is a technical impossibility AFAIK.

Also, you say you've done some games before. Would you mind showing us one to prove that you're not incompetent and unaware of it, as so many unfortunate tech-oriented adolescents are (myself included)?
P.S. Im 16 lol yes i know if u rea up top it says ten years of getting ideas, that is true, ever since i have been ten started prgramming and writing my ideas down.
"Sir, it is pie." - Mark TwainThe ArchWizard's site.
Quote:Modified post by CooleoBen
Hey, what's up? I'm new here; I've been looking around for a forum where the last post wasn't from 2004... :( I have, for the past 5 years, been writing up my ideas for a great MMORPG. I have 200-300 pages of ideas and storyline for the game I want to make. I have been learning c++ as a language language to implement it in, but I'm still learning new things.

I am interested in finding some more ideas, storylines... anything that will help me get on the road. Also, I haven't decided where to save things, either. What are the pros and cons of using a database, vs. files?

The game I'm creating will be a mix between Darkeden, RS2, Guild Wars, WoW, AoE, and Adventure Quest. According to my basic math, it will have over 100,000 different weapons, and 1,000 sets of armor. The game map will be massive, and therefore split up like GW's. I'm looking for ideas for monsters, weapon names, item names, etc. Whoever contributes will be credited on the game home page (with lots of thanks from me and many others) when the game goes live.

In the game, I want to be able to support over 10,000-50,000 people connected at a time. I need to find a cheap and very efficient way to lower my bandwidth and get several servers that can sustain thousands of players each. Yes, I know this seems impossible, but I have people with over 30-50 years experience working for me.

So I'm looking for names and designs for anything - monsters, weapons, towns, significant characters, etc.)

... It appears to be your intent to communicate your "ideas and facts" in English. I suggest you learn that language first. I actually pretty much had to give up editing your post at this point, because it was getting too hard to make sense out of anything or to rearrange it into anything *coherent*.

I can't believe that 16 year olds are allowed to write like this in English-speaking countries.

Quote:Original post by Zahlman... It appears to be your intent to communicate your "ideas and facts" in English. I suggest you learn that language first. I actually pretty much had to give up editing your post at this point, because it was getting too hard to make sense out of anything or to rearrange it into anything *coherent*.

I can't believe that 16 year olds are allowed to write like this in English-speaking countries.

Although I understood him perfectly (hey, if I can understand RSC_x's posts [and their real-life equivalent!], I can understand this), I agree completely, though I'm still barely 17 myself. I get the general impression most people my age feel that correct grammar is unnecessary.
Quote:Original post by shotgunnutter
Press <alt> + <f4> to solve all your problems. Little known fact.

I had that on a txt file to remind myself of it one time but I didn't save it and accidently followed the instructions on the notepad window. *sigh* Thanks for reminding me though. It's right up there with the "Easy" button from Staples! :)

And yes, this has to be a Level 5 Troll.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Wow i woke up this morning and had a bunch of mixed messages....most i didnt like...i guess to be sucessful and have anyone listen to me i got to be in my mid twenties? that is what i got from all this...so if your young and got experience like so twenty year olds your still a noob cuase your still in high school? so im takeing a guess out in the blue that all the people i guess started in their ealry twenties and are supposidly better then the people that started at the same time in their early/preteen age.....just tons of mixed feeling here
i guess to be sucessful and have anyone listen to me i got to be in my mid twenties?

But didn't you already say you have people with over 30-50 years experience in your control?

I mean 50 years, thats a LOT of experience with programming MMO's
You can make something amazing while you're a teenager, I'm sure loads of people have. But professionals will not normally take you seriously if you sound like a teenager. On the web you can be treated with respect when you're 15, if you use proper English and give evidence you have the ability needed.

For instance, Oberon_Command is only 17 but he generally doesn't post in a way that makes it obvious, and I've seen him around here for a year or two, working on projects that don't just stay as ideas...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement