Dumbledore is totally gay.

Started by
38 comments, last by Sneftel 16 years, 6 months ago
I am serious. Even J.K. Rowling says so. Publicity stunt, or Rowling's intent all along? Knowing this, does anyone think it comes across in the character at all? I always found Dumbledore to be strictly one dimensional: he was a mentor, and almost nothing else. He was almost the deus ex machina ... the man with all the answers and all the wisdom. But now that Rowling has decided to turn this man a bit more 3d ... does anyone think it changes how the books read? In my opinion no ... Rowling never wrote him to be a 'lover,' and it seems that she wrote him to be closed off, due to his past. Therefore, his sexuality never becomes apparent in the book (through any actions). Anyway, I just thought it was interesting that she would say it after all the books came out.
Advertisement

O RLY?
First Gandalf, now Dumbledore...

Okay, so it's Ian McKellan who's gay. But still!
"Sir, it is pie." - Mark TwainThe ArchWizard's site.
The Duke will die before these eyes, and he'll know, HE'LL KNOW, that it is I, BARON VLADIMIR HARKONNEN, WHO ENCOMPASSES HIS DOOM!

GET MY DOCTOR!
And before you write that reply off, gay characters aren't new, so I don't see how this would be surprising. Granted, for her to reveal that after it's all said and done may seem odd, but imagine the reaction she'd had if she'd done so during the series' infancy. There were already people up in arms about witchcraft, a gay wizard probably wouldn't help anything in that respect.

In other words: Yes, publicity stunt.
Quote:Original post by DukeAtreides076
The Duke will die before these eyes, and he'll know, HE'LL KNOW, that it is I, BARON VLADIMIR HARKONNEN, WHO ENCOMPASSES HIS DOOM!

GET MY DOCTOR!
[lol]

(man, I want to read that again, now.)
I don't think I ever got the impression Dumbly was gay from the books, at all.
Quote:Original post by Benjamin Heath
Granted, for her to reveal that after it's all said and done may seem odd

Did she happen to reveal the other characters' sexual preferences? I haven't read the Harry Potter books, but they don't seem the sorts of things where sexual preference would come up.

Quote:Original post by load_bitmap_file
I don't think I ever got the impression Dumbly was gay from the books, at all.

Well, how does one appear gay? By showing interest in other guys. Like I mentioned above, it probably wasn't meant for the stories to talk about whom they were into.
Quote:Original post by mtw
Quote:Original post by Benjamin Heath
Granted, for her to reveal that after it's all said and done may seem odd

Did she happen to reveal the other characters' sexual preferences? I haven't read the Harry Potter books, but they don't seem the sorts of things where sexual preference would come up.
Never read them, either, but they apparently are in her mind:

Quote:One fan asked whether Albus Dumbledore, the head of the famed Hogwarts School of Wizardry and Witchcraft, had ever loved anyone. Rowling smiled. "Dumbledore is gay, actually," replied Rowling as the audience erupted in surprise. She added that, in her mind, Dumbledore had an unrequited love affair with Gellert Grindelwald, Voldemort's predecessor who appears in the seventh book.
I don't think it was a publicity stunt. How much more publicity does she need? Pretty much everyone who would respond to this kind of thing has already bought the books.

I just see it as an appropriate answer to the question being asked. There was no need to mention it before now.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement