Dumbledore is totally gay.

Started by
38 comments, last by Sneftel 16 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by Karnot
auntie Ro had to mention it publically

Would you rather she lied about it just to make it easier for people to digest?

Quote:AND change the movie script, because she found traces of heterosexuality innit.

She didn't write the movie script, so the writers couldn't possibly have known that Dumbledude was gay. Once it's become public knowledge, though, they have to make sure the world is consistent (which includes modifying the upcoming movies if needed).

Quote:Thats whats worst, that she says it not in the books, but after the series has ended.

Actually that's why it's good. There was no need to put that information in the books. And it wasn't even a "public announcement". It was just an honest answer to a good question. She's not making a big deal about it: we are.

Quote:Anyone remember the dialog she had one time ? To the account of :
- What was the forbidden spell Dumbldore's brother used on a goat ?
Ro : - *laughing* How old are you ?
- Eight...

Well, yeah... apparently the kid didn't get the joke as written in the book. I'm sure she got quite a laugh when he asked that question (since it's pretty obvious to most adults exactly what "spell" she was talking about [grin]).

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Advertisement
Quote:She didn't write the movie script, so the writers couldn't possibly have known that Dumbledude was gay. Once it's become public knowledge, though, they have to make sure the world is consistent (which includes modifying the upcoming movies if needed).

She did write the books, though. If the writers couldnt possibly have known that he was gay - who cares ? The world was consistent without gays, now its kinda crumbling.

Quote:Well, yeah... apparently the kid didn't get the joke as written in the book. I'm sure she got quite a laugh when he asked that question (since it's pretty obvious to most adults exactly what "spell" she was talking about ).

Yeah, laughing it out on a child.
So now we suddenly have gays, zoophiles, who next ? Necrophiles ? Pedo ?
Aw, forget it, i dont care anymore.
I heard on the radio that some dude had dumbledore tatooed on his back and once this news came out everyone was taking the piss out of him. Haha, what an idiot. Personnally I would've taken this piss out of anyone who gets a wizard from a kids book tatooed on their back regardless of the sexuality of that character.
Quote:Original post by necromancer_df
I heard on the radio that some dude had dumbledore tatooed on his back and once this news came out everyone was taking the piss out of him. Haha, what an idiot. Personnally I would've taken this piss out of anyone who gets a wizard from a kids book tatooed on their back regardless of the sexuality of that character.

I have never heard the phrase, "taking the piss out of someone." Is it the UK equivalent of the American phrase “beating the shit out of someone?” Or does it just mean aggravating and pissing someone off.
-----------------------------Download my real time 3D RPG.
[Not to be taken seriously]
Hmmm, dumbledore gay? He is always dressed in purple robes... And those private "lessons" with Harry? Not to mention the possibility that there were other reasons for his trust in Snape...
[/Not to be taken seriously]

It really doesn't matter. All that matters is what is written in the books, anything else is just for your imagination. Does it matter if Rowling views Dumbledore as gay just because she's the writer? No, otherwise it would have been in the books. Thats for your imagination to decide.
"If I were a philosopher, I might argue that an array name's type is not equivalent to its equivalent. But I'm not a philosopher, so when I suggest something like that, I'm not a philosopher; I'm only being equivalent to a philosopher.""Saturn ascends, choose one or ten. hang on or be humbled again." - Tool
Quote:Original post by cemedias
It really doesn't matter. All that matters is what is written in the books, anything else is just for your imagination. Does it matter if Rowling views Dumbledore as gay just because she's the writer? No, otherwise it would have been in the books. Thats for your imagination to decide.

You make it sound like it's a bad thing.
Quote:Original post by mtw

Gay? No. Changing characters this far into a series? Yes.

It's like if Lucas suddenly said "Oh yeah, Han Solo was a raging cross dresser, but we never got much of it into the movie", suddenly your outlook on the character totally changes. I would have thought that after the whole 'Han shoots first" and "Luke doesn't fall he jumps" thing, people would be a bit more careful about just leaving shit alone.
Quote:Original post by Karnot
Quote:She didn't write the movie script, so the writers couldn't possibly have known that Dumbledude was gay. Once it's become public knowledge, though, they have to make sure the world is consistent (which includes modifying the upcoming movies if needed).

She did write the books, though. If the writers couldnt possibly have known that he was gay - who cares ? The world was consistent without gays, now its kinda crumbling.
It was consistent only because she never discussed his romantic history though. If she had done, it's likely that she would have mentioned this aspect of the character. When the film producers wanted to mention it, she had to tell them to ensure that the films didn't create inconsistencies with the world she was writing about (and could she have just ignored it as there was nothing contradictory? Maybe, but then the film would have been wrong. Maybe some authors would be willing to just sit on their pile of money and watch inaccurate depictions of their characters being spoonfed to everyone, but many are not).

Quote:Original post by ManaStone
I have never heard the phrase, "taking the piss out of someone." Is it the UK equivalent of the American phrase “beating the shit out of someone?” Or does it just mean aggravating and pissing someone off.
No, it basically means "mocking" someone.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by superpig

Quote:Original post by ManaStone
No, it basically means "mocking" someone.

Yep, it's just an alternate way of saying 'Taking the mickey out of someone', if you have heard of that saying.
Quote:Original post by boolean
Quote:Original post by mtw

Gay? No. Changing characters this far into a series? Yes.

But she didn't change the character at all.

Quote:It's like if Lucas suddenly said "Oh yeah, Han Solo was a raging cross dresser, but we never got much of it into the movie"

Your analogy stinks. Everybody's been saying that none of the sex lives of the teachers has been brought up in the books, and as nobody is disputing this, I'll take this as true unless you can prove otherwise. Given this, the only way your analogy could reasonably reflect the Dumbledore situation would be if the original Star Wars trilogy was filmed with everybody completely nude (I guess we could clothe the stormtroopers and Vader, as uniforms/armor will necessarily mask one's clothing preference)

"Although those wizards, I’m very very suspicious about what they’re doing in their spare time."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement