Dumbledore is totally gay.

Started by
38 comments, last by Sneftel 16 years, 6 months ago
It was never mentioned because it was not a big deal - just like in real life actually. It is not a big part of his character, and romance is not really a big part of the story in general. Many fairly main characters' love lives are not discussed in the books at all.

I do think it fits his personality though, it kind of underscores why he allowed his fascination with Grindlewald to reshape his outlook so much. And he *is* kind of flamboyant.
Advertisement
Simian, I think it is interesting that you feel it fit his personality -- for me, he didn't HAVE a personality beyond existing to help Harry. Dumbledore's exposed back-life only helped to further explain the plot in the seventh book, and I didn't feel that it was actually revealing of his character in books 1-6 at all. I am not trying to say that I am against Dumbledore being gay (seeing as someone felt it necessary to rate me down, I would assume that someone misconstrued my words) -- I just thought it was an interesting point of discussion and was wondering if anyone felt that it had subtly slipped into his character at any points in the series besides the seventh book.
It starts to look like I'm the last person in the world who has yet to read a Harry Potter book. :/
Quote:Original post by WanMaster
It starts to look like I'm the last person in the world who has yet to read a Harry Potter book. :/

Nope. I've never read them either, or seen any of the movies.
Quote:Original post by curtmax_0

Quote:Original post by tstrimp

Same.

Well... Okay, a past roommate once forced me to watch the last half of one of the movies. When Harry Potter started coming out (pun not intended) I was always in the crowd that made fun of it. That and Pokemon.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go read Dune now. [smile]
Quote:Original post by Benjamin Heath
Quote:Original post by tstrimp

Same.

Well... Okay, a past roommate once forced me to watch the last half of one of the movies. When Harry Potter started coming out (pun not intended) I was always in the crowd that made fun of it. That and Pokemon.

I never read the book or saw the movies because somehow it would make me less of a Lord of the Rings fan.
Quote:Publicity stunt, or Rowling's intent all along?

I would guess: neither.

It probably came to her while coming up with the backstory between him and Grindelwald, which wasn't fully realized until book 7. Alot of the time a creator will add personality quirks to a character in order to further their own vision of that character, even though the quirks will never be mentioned in the story.

For example the Fodder enemies in RumbleBox are loosely based on a gay stereotype, but there's no reason to ever mention that anywhere in the game (not to mention, a game about being trapped in a room full of homosexuals and beating them up wouldn't be terribly PC [grin]). I applaud Rowling for not trying to make a "statement" by putting this information in the book, I think it would have been unnecessary and too many people would have focused entirely on it.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Actually what she said does fit him a lot. At least in my point of view it fits him. Especially in the seventh book how she explained their story. If you look back at it and look at each and every thing very carefully you would get a hint. I knew when I read that part the first time I guessed he was not straight, so when she publicly announced it I was not shock. I was actually glad that we learned something new from his past, because he was a very complicated character to understand. Anyways I am going to end this now before I start going into a lot of details about it :). (Sorry, I read a lot, and I notice a lot of little things. I guess you can say I am a literature nerd.)

~Carl J. Loucius
Quote:It was never mentioned because it was not a big deal - just like in real life actually.

Oh, is that so ? Well, guess what - now its suddenly such a big deal, that auntie Ro had to mention it publically, AND change the movie script, because she found traces of heterosexuality innit.

Thats whats worst, that she says it not in the books, but after the series has ended.

My opinion - it wasnt a stunt, she just got tired of all the fans and decided to slap them around a little.
Anyone remember the dialog she had one time ? To the account of :
- What was the forbidden spell Dumbldore's brother used on a goat ?
Ro : - *laughing* How old are you ?
- Eight...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement