Dumbledore is totally gay.

Started by
38 comments, last by Sneftel 16 years, 6 months ago
You know what? Mandatory bash.org quote:
Quote:<JonJonB> Purely in the interests of science, I have replaced the word "wand" with "wang" in the first Harry Potter Book
<JonJonB> Let's see the results...

<JonJonB> "Why aren't you supposed to do magic?" asked Harry.
<JonJonB> "Oh, well -- I was at Hogwarts meself but I -- er -- got expelled, ter tell yeh the truth. In me third year. They snapped me wang in half an' everything

<JonJonB> A magic wang... this was what Harry had been really looking forward to.

<JonJonB> "Yes, yes. I thought I'd be seeing you soon. Harry Potter." It wasn't a question. "You have your mother's eyes. It seems only yesterday she was in here herself, buying her first wang. Ten and a quarter inches long, swishy, made of willow. Nice wang for charm work."
<JonJonB> "Your father, on the other hand, favored a mahogany wang. Eleven inches. "

<JonJonB> Harry took the wang. He felt a sudden warmth in his fingers. He raised the wang above his head, brought it swishing down through the dusty air and a stream of red and gold sparks shot from the end like a firework, throwing dancing spots of light on to the walls

<JonJonB> "Oh, move over," Hermione snarled. She grabbed Harry's wang, tapped the lock, and whispered, 'Alohomora!"

<JonJonB> The troll couldn't feel Harry hanging there, but even a troll will notice if you stick a long bit of wood up its nose, and Harry's wang had still been in his hand when he'd jumped - it had gone straight up one of the troll's nostrils.

<JonJonB> He bent down and pulled his wang out of the troll's nose. It was covered in what looked like lumpy gray glue.

<JonJonB> He ran onto the field as you fell, waved his wang, and you sort of slowed down before you hit the ground. Then he whirled his wang at the dementors. Shot silver stuff at them.

<JonJonB> Ok
<JonJonB> I have found, definitive proof
<JonJonB> that J.K Rowling is a dirty DIRTY woman, making a fool of us all
<JonJonB> "Yes," Harry said, gripping his wang very tightly, and moving into the middle of the deserted classroom. He tried to keep his mind on flying, but something else kept intruding.... Any second now, he might hear his mother again... but he shouldn't think that, or he would hear her again, and he didn't want to... or did he?
<melusine > O_______O
<JonJonB> Something silver-white, something enormous, erupted from the end of his wang

<JonJonJonB> Then, with a sigh, he raised his wang and prodded the silvery substance with its tip.

<JonJonJonB> 'Get - off - me!' Harry gasped. For a few seconds they struggled, Harry pulling at his uncles sausage-like fingers with his left hand, his right maintaining a firm grip on his raised wang.
Advertisement
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by boolean
Quote:Original post by superpig

Quote:Original post by ManaStone
I have never heard the phrase, "taking the piss out of someone." Is it the UK equivalent of the American phrase “beating the shit out of someone?” Or does it just mean aggravating and pissing someone off.
No, it basically means "mocking" someone.

Yep, it's just an alternate way of saying 'Taking the mickey out of someone', if you have heard of that saying.

Like this.
Ohh my god, are you serious?! Dumbledore gay! I wouldn't expect that at all. But J.K. Rowling is the creator so she has to decide, personally I wouldn't have said he is gay though, now a lot of people will find him way-less-cool. I won't though, I have nothing against gays.
Oh, Rowling. You can try all you want to make your one dimensional characters more interesting, but it doesn't work after the books have been written.
I love all the responses from people along the lines of "He didn't act gay in the books."

I know this may come as a shock to some, but not all gay people act the way you think they do.
Quote:Original post by BerwynIrish
Quote:Original post by mtw
Quote:Original post by cemedias
It really doesn't matter. All that matters is what is written in the books, anything else is just for your imagination. Does it matter if Rowling views Dumbledore as gay just because she's the writer? No, otherwise it would have been in the books. Thats for your imagination to decide.

You make it sound like it's a bad thing.

Gay? No. Changing characters this far into a series? Yes.

But she didn't change the character at all.

This is exactly what I was trying to point out. She didn't change anything. All she is saying is that in her mind, she views Dumbledore as being gay. It doesn't really matter anyway, it has nothing to do with the plot.

I'm just saying that if Rowling really wanted people to see Dumbledore as being gay, it would have been in the books. Since there is nothing implying this in the books, it doesn't necessarily mean that he really is gay. It's just fiction. Beyond what is written in the books is up to your imagination, not what the author says as an afterthought.

Just as BerwynIrish said, she never changed the characters at all. She never wrote a new version of the book making it appear that Dumbledore is gay. Her imagination is telling her that he is gay. Don't change your views of Dumbledore just because of Rowling's imagination, instead, use your own imagination.
"If I were a philosopher, I might argue that an array name's type is not equivalent to its equivalent. But I'm not a philosopher, so when I suggest something like that, I'm not a philosopher; I'm only being equivalent to a philosopher.""Saturn ascends, choose one or ten. hang on or be humbled again." - Tool
It's like if Lucas suddenly said "Oh yeah, Han Solo was a raging cross dresser, but we never got much of it into the movie"

Your analogy stinks. Everybody's been saying that none of the sex lives of the teachers has been brought up in the books, and as nobody is disputing this, I'll take this as true unless you can prove otherwise. Given this, the only way your analogy could reasonably reflect the Dumbledore situation would be if the original Star Wars trilogy was filmed with everybody completely nude (I guess we could clothe the stormtroopers and Vader, as uniforms/armor will necessarily mask one's clothing preference)

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean Han Solo was cross dressing in the actual movies, but if Lucas said that whenever Han wasn't on screen he was prancing about in women’s cloths stripping for money, we just never saw that part in the movie.
It's like if Lucas suddenly said "Oh yeah, Han Solo was a raging cross dresser, but we never got much of it into the movie"

Your analogy stinks. Everybody's been saying that none of the sex lives of the teachers has been brought up in the books, and as nobody is disputing this, I'll take this as true unless you can prove otherwise. Given this, the only way your analogy could reasonably reflect the Dumbledore situation would be if the original Star Wars trilogy was filmed with everybody completely nude (I guess we could clothe the stormtroopers and Vader, as uniforms/armor will necessarily mask one's clothing preference)

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean Han Solo was cross dressing in the actual movies, but if Lucas said that whenever Han wasn't on screen he was prancing about in women’s cloths stripping for money, we just never saw that part in the movie.

Your analogy still stinks. The difference is that Star Wars clearly shows clothing preference (because it wasn't filmed naked), whereas Dumbledore never showed sexual preference anywhere in the books or movie.

However, if you have ever seen the movie Stardust you will see that Han Solo being a closet cross-dresser could potentially make a great character! [grin]

Han Solo poops, I'm sure of it. He has probably eaten cheese at one point in his life. I'm sure he sleeps, and he might even sing if you get him drunk enough. None of these things are in Star Wars, so if I were to ask Lucas about Han Solo's personal life he'd have to answer out of his knowledge of the character and not strictly out of the content of the movies.

That's what Rowling did: she answered a question that couldn't be answered strictly by studying the books. She answered it based on her own view of Dumbledore, and if anybody can give a qualified answer to "Has Dumbledore ever loved anybody?" it's the person who created the character.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Han Solo prancing about in women's clothes offscreen would have been at odds with the rest of his persona. Dumbledore's unrequited love for Grindelwald, in contrast, informs the rest of his character, at least in the last book.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement