Getting 3D coords to screenspace without matrix transforms.

Started by
22 comments, last by Butabee 13 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by jyk
It's not that innovation never occurs, since it obviously does; it's just kind of unlikely that some random person who's not already at the forefront of ongoing research is going to be the one to do it. (Or so I would guess.)

That's a common delusion.
People believe that there are geniuses who can invent stuff that nobody thought of. WRONG. Those times are gone in about 1930 or so.
There's nothing left to invent in the garage any more. All those stuff have been invented. All new garage inventions are proven to be fake/lie or just reinvention of something. Inventions today require way too much resources, knowledge and time for a lone wolf genius.

I'm talking about scientific inventions. You can still invent toys.

And as others have already stated: matrices are not magic. It's just a representation of linear equations. Sure, the calculations on the GPU are generalized, so a special perspective projection is much simpler than a general matrix operation. But it's hardware accelerated.

So if you do a software renderer, that division thing will be faster than your own fully implemented matrix multiplication.

The question is: is that the bottleneck, or you are just trying to be smart?

EDIT: before someone (who is Jyk) states, that these all have been discussed already: Do you think I don't take the opportunity show how freaking smart I am by reading the thread? [grin]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by szecs
EDIT: before someone (who is Jyk) states, that these all have been discussed already
Um...no, I don't think what you posted above had been said in the thread previously - at least not in those words ;)
Back in the day we would use a 3x3 rotation plus a vector offset (functionally identical to a 3x4 matrix). You don't need a full 4x4--it just simplifies clipping, and to a lesser extent, z buffering.

You won't beat a 3x3 matrix for rotating a 3d point. There's no "waste" there. That bone was picked clean centuries ago (literally).
I was thinking I might try to do something with the angles of vectors compared to the camera. If you take a ray for each pixel it will have have a certain angle too. Then there just needs to be a fast way to match the vector angle with the ray angle.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement