Gdnet Black (Alpha)

Started by
60 comments, last by EDI 13 years, 1 month ago
The light skin text was recently condensed in line spacing... doesn't seem to affect the dark theme yet/currently

Relevant Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to compare against previous rel of this style but rather the previous gamedev. The concept I'm trying to point out is related to x-dimensions of characters.
For example, OpenOffice writer has a property in a "Character" tab allowing to scale the glyphs in the x dimension... something like that. Is the new font more compact? I'm not even sure. I guess it's just me.
Much appreciated, a lot easier on the eyes... but maybe it's a bit to dark?
Nah... it's ok in my opinion. Even darker would be ok for me but in case bg isn't made darker, I would appreciate some extra brightness on text it still seems to be a bit low on contrast for me.

As for the light themes, although I cannot see the individual sub-pixels, I often perceive high-luminance areas to be "not smooth" (I can see the pixel grid relatively easy)... LCD kinda sucks and I suppose I'm pretty high in sensitivity so +1 for black!
Anyway, is the text color light blue? It appears to be. I think it is. Maybe I'll annoy someone but I think it needs more contrast.
[attachment=984:blueText.png]

By the way, can we have justified text?

A few other observations on color, garnered from slaving away for years in front of a machine doing color correction:
  • Caffeine will dull your sense of color.
No this is not true, I don't believe this for a minute. It cannot be real. It is not real. (Joke intended)

Previously "Krohm"

Advertisement
When using the Black (Alpha) theme, the number of views in the View column has gray text on gray background that makes it hard to see.

Note: I initally logged this using the Feedback tool. It was marked as "Resolved", but the problem still remains.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Note: I initally logged this using the Feedback tool. It was marked as "Resolved", but the problem still remains.

That's probably because I'm working on the Dark theme as kind of a sideline to everybody else, so it's been requested that bugs/issues with it be kept out of the official feedback channels. Keeping the bugs and reports in this thread is the appropriate thing to do for now.

I've dropped off the radar for the past couple of days due to other projects - I should have a bit of time this evening / tomorrow to go through and correct some of the issues people have mentioned here, as well as try to cover a bit more of the site. I think I agree with the suggestions that the contrast between text and background should be increased a bit; my present thought is to make the text brighter.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Just wanted to point out that for some reason the Black theme doesn't seem to work on the XNA 4.0 Workshop forum: http://www.gamedev.n...p-introduction/ .. or at least for me I get dark grey on darker grey... I would have thought the post would have the same classes that the CSS could already handle... Looking at the source it seems to have thrown in a "[font=&quot;monospace&quot;]&lt;span style=&#39;color: #1C2837&#39;&gt;&quot; at the beginning of the post, could be related to copy-pasting into the Post box (as formatting seems to be preserved). <br /> <br /> For things like this I can only assume that posting in such a way may break visibility in other themes (unless we can ban the span, which I thought was already banned from posting)<br /> </blockquote>Yeah, unfortunately I think this is just the way the WYSIWG editor encodes colours (the paintbrush button after the size dropdown). People will just need to be aware, when authoring their posts, that the colours will break on alternate themes.<br /> <br /> <br /> Perhaps at some point we can look into adding proper CSS-stylable &#39;heading&#39; and &#39;subheading&#39; styles to the &#39;Other Styles&#39; dropdown.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

OK, I've gone through and collapsed all the black theme's changes into one place, so that the other changes that have been made to the regular skin will now propagate through. Let me know if anything's broken as a result.

Wow thank god my eyes can finally rest :)

OK, I've gone through and collapsed all the black theme's changes into one place, so that the other changes that have been made to the regular skin will now propagate through. Let me know if anything's broken as a result.

Don't know if it is a result but the RSS menu is not readable.

Quite possibly. You mean the light-grey-on-orange popup you get when you click the RSS icon?

Can we please go back to the white background for source code?! The color scheme is ridiculous and having to squint and/or highlight text so I can read is extremely annoying. Also quotes colors are just an eye strain. Quote that black and white

An example of source code madness: Crazy Code Colors

Oh and can we remove the violet/purple text against the black and gray backgrounds? Text is hard to read. And also, can we make links blue instead of gray?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

'CableGuy' said:

Quite possibly. You mean the light-grey-on-orange popup you get when you click the RSS icon?

Yep.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement