Why not Flash & Actionscript 3?

Started by
5 comments, last by Delah 10 years, 11 months ago

Hello all,

I like to make games on paper and want to make te big step to computergames. I allready use Flash to draw and design. Because Flash can export it for all platforms I thought it would be the best way to make games. When I searched on gamedev.net and gamefromscratch.com I found a lot of information from and for game developers. But nobody is talking about Flash and Actionscript. Why is Flash not used by game developers? Is actionscript not a good way to program games? Can someone explain it please?

Best regards,

Delah

Advertisement

It's all about what your aim is. Graphics intensive games tend to not do that great on flash and with many alternatives that suit most people better in their aim, they choose that other option.

But it's still perfectly fine to make a game in flash and actionscript if you can get done what you want to get done :)

Flash is used for lots of games, but it isn't ideal for all situations.

If you're comfortable with ActionScript and it seems suitable for your games then go right ahead and use it, it's a very capable platform that has been used to make plenty of great games.

- Jason Astle-Adams

But if it isn't a "wrong" way of making games, why don't I see it on these two websites? I do see Phyton, also a "simple" language.

If you're comfortable with ActionScript and it seems suitable for your games then go right ahead and use it, it's a very capable platform that has been used to make plenty of great games.

Well, I just started with Actionscript. So it's not to late to switch and start learning an other "simple" language like Pyhton.

Doing a quick (less than one minute) search of this site, I found the articles "The Essential Guide to Flash Games" and "Developing a Mobile Application with Flash" along with the topics "Is flash good choice to make game in?", "Flash Vs Flex for programming", "Why facebook games developed in FLASH and not HTML5?", "How is Adobe Flash for creating games?" , and "Web game developers- Flash or Unity3d? (or others?)" amongst many others. There are also plenty of topics tagged with Flash.

There are people using Flash, and you'll find plenty of help if you need it. If you'd prefer something else that's fine too, but if you're already comfortable with Flash it's definitely a capable option; just make sure you don't spend forever trying to make a decision -- any option is better than no option.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Doing a quick (less than one minute) search of this site, I found the articles "The Essential Guide to Flash Games" and "Developing a Mobile Application with Flash" along with the topics "Is flash good choice to make game in?", "Flash Vs Flex for programming", "Why facebook games developed in FLASH and not HTML5?", "How is Adobe Flash for creating games?" , and "Web game developers- Flash or Unity3d? (or others?)" amongst many others. There are also plenty of topics tagged with Flash.

There are people using Flash, and you'll find plenty of help if you need it. If you'd prefer something else that's fine too, but if you're already comfortable with Flash it's definitely a capable option; just make sure you don't spend forever trying to make a decision -- any option is better than no option.

Thanks a lot!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement