Upcoming Unofficial GameDev Competition

Started by
130 comments, last by jbadams 9 years, 7 months ago

Updated the rules to say:

"You may use any library, game engine, tools, art, or audio to develop the game, provided you have the appropriate license to do so (if licensing is required for what you use); note that this means you may use code, art, and audio that you or others may have made in the past (the explicit limitation is that you may not use existing game logic (i.e. you may use libraries and engines, but you still have to actually make the game during the 7 day period))"

I think there are tons of freely available resources for art and audio such that if you have a few of your own that you've made, it won't give you an unfair advantage. Plus your game must fit the theme that will be announced, which means someone will either have to be very creative about how they use existing assets, or use new ones specifically suited for the theme.

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Advertisement
Sounds good CornStalks.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Sounds good CornStalks.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This is cool! I've been wanted to do a comp for a very long time, and I keep missing LD.

Do we need to do anything else besides post to actually sign up?

Not sure if I want to go solo or get a small team. I'll update as soon as I can.

might i suggest we create a system for floaters? people that don't have a team(and want to find one), or don't want to directly compete, but don't mind helping out with creating art/music assets for teams? when i went to toJam a couple years ago, their were a fair few floaters in both category's. essentially, the team would go to the staff, and say they need some art/music. the staff would then find a free floater, and put them in touch with the team, either the floater would join the team for the competition, or simply do the requested work.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Do we need to do anything else besides post to actually sign up?

Currently, no. When we get a little closer I'll make a full list of people/teams, but I'll let people join in even during the 7 day period.

might i suggest we create a system for floaters?

I like that idea!

I'm currently debating creating a little website for this. A part of me wants to do it all on GDNet, but a part of me wants some of the added flexibility that would come by setting up a little server and website. I'll think about it...

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

A part of me wants to do it all on GDNet, but a part of me wants some of the added flexibility that would come by setting up a little server and website. I'll think about it...

I would think jbadams and Michael may wanna eyeball this request....

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

A part of me wants to do it all on GDNet, but a part of me wants some of the added flexibility that would come by setting up a little server and website. I'll think about it...

I would think jbadams and Michael may wanna eyeball this request....

I think if they go out of their way too much then it would be an official GDNet competition ;)

Okay, I won't set up my own server/website. About a week before the competition, I'll create a new thread. This thread will detail the rules, FAQ, and specific details of the competition. The new thread that I'll create (when it's time) will be specifically for the competition; participants will submit their entries there (or through PMs); the list of teams/participants and judges will be posted there; I will update the OP in the new thread to show each game (and if there are any problems a judge has had in running the game); in short, this thread will kind of be the "administrative" thread for the competition, and the new thread will be "the competition" thread.

Count me in smile.png

I've had fun with the two that i've participated in, With the second one where i actually spent most of my time on gameplay and not getting it to work.

Should we list any dependencies( MSVC, Python, LUE Etc ) before hand like before ?

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Just a thought, but saying someone can't compete in multiple teams doesn't seem very useful. Most people won't want to or be able to, but in theory there might be an artist or something who could help multiple teams - especially as such people are rare than letting them be as useful as they want to be seems better.

www.simulatedmedicine.com - medical simulation software

Looking to find experienced Ogre & shader developers/artists. PM me or contact through website with a contact email address if interested.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement