Hobbies for game developers

Started by
60 comments, last by Glass_Knife 10 years, 1 month ago

I dont get how can knowing to play a musical instrument be way more common than knowing how to draw.

Every children will have access to pen and paper, everyone knows how a pencil works.

Now to play an instrument, theres so many complexities involved, and its so not intuitive to convert what you hear to figuring out how to reproduce on the instrument.

Now if you fart on a corner, 60% of the ppl who will smell it will know how to play an instrument, and 2% know how to draw. At least on my personal experience is how I perceive.

How can that be?

Maybe people who draw have a different perspective and don't like to toot their own horn?

-Josh

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

Advertisement

Hey everyone,

I found myself hand writing books to help me escape technology to give myself a brake, but then the stories made me want to experience what I was writing. Now on the side I travel when I am able to get time off of work. In addition to that I started cliff jumping, scuba diving, and paint balling. It is a huge change of pace, and to be honest those moments are the times I feel most alive.

By the way it is remarkable some of the hobbies I have read that other people have!

Have a great one everybody!

Eric Danielson

Eric Danielson

I dont get how can knowing to play a musical instrument be way more common than knowing how to draw.

Every children will have access to pen and paper, everyone knows how a pencil works.

Now to play an instrument, theres so many complexities involved, and its so not intuitive to convert what you hear to figuring out how to reproduce on the instrument.

Now if you fart on a corner, 60% of the ppl who will smell it will know how to play an instrument, and 2% know how to draw. At least on my personal experience is how I perceive.

How can that be?

I don't see the I can that much. Playing an instrument in any level is usually interesting (...) but drawing in any level usually isn't, since everyone did that.

Dungeons and Dragons, baby! Oh... and Pathfinder, and Magic: The Gathering... Pretty much most geeky tabletops. I do alot of reading as well, but mostly involving programming books to learn new languages. xD

I develop to expand the universe. "Live long and code strong!" - Delta_Echo (dream.in.code)

How can that be?

I think it's because drawing is hard and a lot of people get discouraged by the poor results they start with, whereas you can get something decent out of an instrument pretty fast.

Usually I just find a nice place to pace around in-doors (little foyer/hallway area), and pace for an hour or two (or sometimes alot more), letting my mind wander over a vast range of things - game mechanics, world design, fictional lore, past movies I've watched, my hopes for the future of the business I'm trying to start, and things like that. Sometimes I pace for just 5-10 minutes, a dozen times in the day, and sometimes I pace for hours-straight. It really confuses house-guests and visitors.

I'd do this more often if I had the focus for it. My mind just wanders to irrelevant things too fast. I have trouble focusing on something unless I'm in front of my computer dealing with the issue, which is annoying because then I have to always be in front of my computer when I want to overcome a problem.

[twitter]Casey_Hardman[/twitter]

How can that be?

I think it's because drawing is hard and a lot of people get discouraged by the poor results they start with, whereas you can get something decent out of an instrument pretty fast.

I was thinking again about that, and fact is, everyone enjoy music, while not everyone likes things derived from drawing (cartoons, comics, portraits, etc.).

Its usually fitness, 3D modelling and cooking, but recently I've been interested in learning Welsh and to sing. Not enough time for either, but they do tickle my fancy. I have a great passion for Jim Steinman songs but my voice is bloody attrocious. Learning Welsh is more to do with being facinated by Tolkien than anything else, but its hard to find a place to start.

Currently working on a Jambiya Dagger model using Silo, 3DCoat and Blender. Also reading up on TE Lawrence, who I think was the most interesting man of the 20th Century.

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

Hmm... gaming (ofc), anime watching, piano playing, book reading (currently reading Spice&Wolf #4), pen and paper RP once in a week, drawing here and there (oh god I suck), learning japanese... Actually, there are a lot of hobbies now when I look.

During the summer months I have a homemade outdoor forge setup. I do different kinds of metalwork and casting, but it's just screwing around. I also play piano and keyboard(we have both - it's unbelievable how may people give away pianos), but it's usually just when I've heard a song I want to replicate, and only long enough to get the basic sound of it.

Those are fun, but if you don't put in enough time leveling them up there will be trouble. The first time my daughter learned to open the fridge she ate a whole jar of pickles. Good times...

That it? I've got better horror stories then that.tongue.png

When we first moved into our house, our three year old discovered that his door didn't click shut. Went downstairs, got into the baking soda and some chocolate icing(mixed them together in a bowl), and then proceeded to break every single egg in the three cartons in our fridge "because he wanted to make them bounce". Finishing his escapade into physics, he decided he wanted a drink of milk and covered half the dining room table in it, leaving it on the table and open. I only discovered what he did when I slipped and fell on my rear trying to make it to the coffee maker first thing in the morning.

The real kicker? When I asked him about it, he made up a story about how his 6 mo. old brother snuck out of our room and did it. Joy of children, eh?

Dungeons and Dragons, baby! Oh... and Pathfinder, and Magic: The Gathering... Pretty much most geeky tabletops. I do alot of reading as well, but mostly involving programming books to learn new languages. xD

Lucky bugger. I'm starting to get to the age where it feels weird hanging out with younger groups and gaming. Me and some old friends still get together once a year to play MTG and run a quick 2nd edition D&D game, but I can't find anyone local who's interested and above legal drinking age.

My favorite error yet:

Parse error: Syntax error, unexpected '$pants'...

My life currently revolves around using computers. If I'm not studying towards my Microsoft certifications then I'm either procrastinating on Facebook or looking for jobs online and I soon plan on throwing programming back into the mix after not doing any for years.

As for hobbies, running (though I've massively let myself go over the last 6 months or so), playing my bass guitar badly, a little bit of photography and reading.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared, to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heartrending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottom of his training shoes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement