Windows 10

Started by
51 comments, last by Chris_F 9 years, 6 months ago

They have obviously switched to binary. Windows 10 is in fact... Windows 2

you sure it isn't a rebranding of windows 8 in octal?

I think that Microsoft has just lost the ability to count. I mean they went from Xbox, to Xbox 360, then to Xbox One...

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Advertisement

Pfft.

Linux has had X Windows for a long time.

95 -> 98 -> 2000 -> 7 -> 8 -> 10

360 -> One

Someone please teach the Microsoft branding department how to count.

Maybe the change was driven by the fact that "nine" sounds an awful lot like "nein" and (I'm told) the Japanese word for "nine" sounds a lot like the Japanese word for "suffering." I'm guessing the marketing department didn't like the sound of "Windows Nope" or "Windows Suffering". Come to think of it, could this be why Windows 4.0 never showed up, too?

My only guess is that they want to avoid search engines autocompleting "Windows 9" to "Windows 95" or "Windows 98".

Honestly... that's the most coherent explanation for this I've heard so far.

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

Maybe it's some enormous inside joke at Microsoft....

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

I'm guessing the marketing department didn't like the sound of "Windows Nope" or "Windows Suffering".

Both sound amazing. I mean, I wouldn't want to particularly use them myself, but I'd certainly recommend "Windows Nope" to people who want me to fix their computers. And "Windows Suffering" sounds about right for everybody in IT.

They should rebrand Windows 8 as Windows Nein.

If they'd gone the XBox naming route they could have had Windows -351 (subtract 359 from current version number).

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

They should rebrand Windows 8 as Windows Nein.

If they'd gone the XBox naming route they could have had Windows -351 (subtract 359 from current version number).

Then they could talk about how things have come full-circle with the new version!

I'll get me coat...

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

My only guess is that they want to avoid search engines autocompleting "Windows 9" to "Windows 95" or "Windows 98".

Windows 9 ("nine" in English) in German has the same pronounce of "nein" (that means "no" in English), so it didn't sounds well not even in German (just think about how many Hitler's meme could have be done xD)

Calling it Windows 9 would just make it lesser than OS X. They should have turned it up to 11!

Or just name it Windows X

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement