Windows 10

Started by
51 comments, last by Chris_F 9 years, 6 months ago

I for one will trust only in odd-numbered Windows versions. The historical evidence is just too compelling.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Advertisement

I for one will trust only in odd-numbered Windows versions. The historical evidence is just too compelling.

Perhaps they realized they're still not quite there yet, and skipped 9 to not break the prophecy smile.png

Ok the rumor seems to have some truth to it:

https://searchcode.com/?q=startswith%28%22windows+9%22%29

You're right - hate is the wrong word. But I will stick with moaning. It's kind of flustering to see pretty much the entire thread completely skip over the video (which, admittedly, is bad) and what it was trying to say, and focus on the name instead.

I watched the video and commented on the few features they presented.

Honestly, there isn't much beside the naming scheme to talk about. There are a few pretty minimal UI changes that seem geared around moving back towards the mechanics of 7 (if not the aesthetics).

And just for the record, we may or may not end up using Win10. I develop windows software for a living, and I've never used Vista (skipped from XP to 7) or Win8 as my primary machines (have used those OSs for testing though).

Personally, I hope Windows 10 turns out to be awesome, but it doesn't make the naming any less silly.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Just got finished trying out the preview. To me it still feels exactly like Windows 8. The start menu and windowed Modern apps is something you could already get in Windows 8 with third party products. IMO they are still falling short of bringing together standard desktop and Modern into one cohesive and consistent UI experience. The only other feature is virtual desktops, which IMO isn't as nice as the virtual desktop features of many Linux DEs. At this point it hardly qualifies as a new OS to me. Maybe they should have called it Windows 8.11 instead. Or how about Windows for Workgroups 8.11.

..I still have windows 7, never installed service pack, neither ever updated it =P

after watching the vid, seems like they just fixed stuff everyone ranted about on win 8..so why jump to 10 if its not a big leap

The only other feature is virtual desktops, which IMO isn't as nice as the virtual desktop features of many Linux DEs.

As somebody who didn't touch Windows 10 yet: how is it worse than what you get on Linux? I mean, I really can't think about it being different than just being able to place windows in different workspaces (well, and switching between them easily), unless Microsoft somehow managed to screw up even that part.

Saying this as somebody who has used both bbLean BlackBox (on Windows XP!) and Gnome Classic (on Ubuntu =P).

EDIT: the virtual desktops are the multiple workspaces, right? ? *sudden fear that he may have misunderstood this whole thing all along*

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

That's so dumb. Microsoft could have easily enforced all these third-party developers to start using the real method to check Windows version.

And deprecate all the SDK methods that's returning "Windows 9" string.

People put too much trust into this random reddit user.

The only other feature is virtual desktops, which IMO isn't as nice as the virtual desktop features of many Linux DEs.

As somebody who didn't touch Windows 10 yet: how is it worse than what you get on Linux? I mean, I really can't think about it being different than just being able to place windows in different workspaces (well, and switching between them easily), unless Microsoft somehow managed to screw up even that part.

Saying this as somebody who has used both bbLean BlackBox (on Windows XP!) and Gnome Classic (on Ubuntu =P).

EDIT: the virtual desktops are the multiple workspaces, right? ? *sudden fear that he may have misunderstood this whole thing all along*

I suppose functionality-wise is is more or less the same, the interface for it simply isn't as polished.

That's so dumb. Microsoft could have easily enforced all these third-party developers to start using the real method to check Windows version.

And deprecate all the SDK methods that's returning "Windows 9" string.

People put too much trust into this random reddit user.

I would not be so sure about that. The codesearch I linked shows that a lot of java programs check with this method. Even the Open JDK implementation! It's definitely possible that this was a reason for the weird version jumping.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement