Windows 10

Started by
51 comments, last by Chris_F 9 years, 7 months ago

That's so dumb. Microsoft could have easily enforced all these third-party developers to start using the real method to check Windows version.

And deprecate all the SDK methods that's returning "Windows 9" string.

People put too much trust into this random reddit user.

I would not be so sure about that. The codesearch I linked shows that a lot of java programs check with this method. Even the Open JDK implementation! It's definitely possible that this was a reason for the weird version jumping.

steve-ballmer-facepalm.jpg

Advertisement

That's so dumb. Microsoft could have easily enforced all these third-party developers to start using the real method to check Windows version.

They're cute when they're young.

Serious answer: and then so much current software breaks and what do you do?

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Nope.

As an OS vendor, you try really really hard to not break third party software.*

Even if they are being incredibly stupid, the customer will blame the OS vendor.

* you can ignore most of that article... just read the bit about Sim City

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

OK just read on how the workspaces work elsewhere and huh, they did manage to screw up that part. Wow. Apparently it just hides windows rather than removing them (until switching back to their workspace). I know bbLean used to do this (mainly in case there was issues since in its case it was a hack that could potentially cause issues), but even that provided a setting to make it work like it should. You'd think Microsoft would be able to do this properly since they have full control over the GUI.

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

OK, so I've been using it semi-regularly for the past coupla days. Some notes from the field.

Install went smoothly and was indistinguishable (to me) from 8.1; that's OK as the 8.1 install is good enough.

First-time setup still wants to link a Microsoft account to your user account. Now, this is something I always do anyway these days, as I find the synchronization between different machines quite useful. But for certain use cases an easier/more obvious opt-out is required.

The UI is basically 8.1 with a Start Menu, some different icons and a few added bits. I didn't notice anything extraordinary; maybe later. The Start Menu is hellishly weird - as I said on one of the Windows 8 threads, I'd actually gotten used to the Start Screen and this kinda felt like a step back. I'm thinking that when RTM comes I'll continue with the Start Screen. I still find it odd the way this happened.

It's amusing that the Enterprise version (Software Assurance customer so that's what I get) includes all the cutesy home-user apps by default.

Joining to a Domain works as it should and most GPOs set up for 8.1 work on it too. So if you want to support 10 on AD, setting up for 8.1 now will get you a good percentage of the way there.

Metro/Modern/whatever-it's-called-next-week apps are resizable but default to fullscreen - I wish that hadn't happened but maybe it will be changed by RTM.

I didn't use the multiple desktops at all. It's not something I've ever really felt that I'd needed on previous versions so I was able to jump in and work ahead without them.

Overall it doesn't have the same feel as the preview releases of Windows 7 had. Even at preview stage that was well-polished and rock-solid, and this isn't quite there yet, but on balance it's a promising enough start.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Multiple desktops are rarely used, normally when you want to do something else without all the clutter of what's already opened but you don't want to close everything for some reason. Also extremely useful for NSFW stuff, look at it in another desktop and in case of emergency just switch back to your primary desktop ph34r.png

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

With regards to multiple workspaces/desktops, I've found them to be very useful indeed--when well-implemented. I use Ubuntu, and whether I'm using Unity or the Cinnamon front-end I find multiple workspaces to be an excellent way of keeping my desktop somewhat organised and moving between programs, and preferable to simply minimising and maximising as called for. When handled less-well, I find that I stop using them; for example, I used Dexpot on Windows for a time, but eventually dropped it.

The main issue seems to be ease of moving between workspaces, and how cleanly and effectively those workspaces are implemented; in Ubuntu a simple, easy-to-remember key-combination switches between workspaces (although I'll admit that I forget whether this is active by default), while Cinnamon specifically has a rather useful "hot-spot" at one corner of the screen (I have it set to the top-left, since that seems to be the least-used otherwise at the moment).

With regards to Windows 10, I've used the technical preview briefly, but not enough to have any solid feelings regarding it; I like the return of the start menu, and the little tiles on the right-hand side of that menu seem neat.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Windows GUI, especially the control panel elements, is still messy:

- all three version of the control panel are a nightmare!

- windows update still doesn't provide non Microsoft API driver support (OpenGL and OpenAL driver support from HIV is still missing).

- desktop application are no more updated

- there is still no file format and extension manager

- desktop image viewer is still not replaced with the "live" version

- store scanner application still lacks of native driver support (like Canon ScanGear drivers).

- pdf reader still has horrible graphics and text sampling

- internet settings and other things are still enclosed in very small and un-resizeable windows

- there is no a clear option to block third party cookies in internet explorer

- store application are still "flat", especially in functionalities and features

- 96 dpi default size for "medium" icon still retrieves horrible bitmaps

- windows firewall still lacks of an option to force outbound connections to ask user for permission and still lacks of an option to prevent automatic rules from applications

- taskbar is still very uncomfortable is positioned on left/right/top of the desktop

- still no "grid" window management (like in ATI/AMD hydravision)

- .net "legacy" versions are still not included as default in the OS, you have to download them

- media center is still an add-on to buy

- the wireless network manager is still missing since windows 8!

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/

Multiple desktops are rarely used, normally when you want to do something else without all the clutter of what's already opened but you don't want to close everything for some reason. Also extremely useful for NSFW stuff, look at it in another desktop and in case of emergency just switch back to your primary desktop ph34r.png

I can sorta see myself using them if they work well enough.

I'd likely have three workspaces open at once:

1) My IDE and the command prompt and the running executable and Google Chrome open to the API documentation.

2) Windows Explorer open in several windows for the executable's asset and config directories and such like that.

3) When compiling (which happens regularly, stalling me for between 1 and 10 minutes), I like to switch to my art. So the third workspace would be Paint Shop Pro, MS Paint, and my other art-related windows.

It'd have to be very quick and seamless to use, if I'm gonna bother with it though.

They will brand the doomed-to-fail Windows 11 as "Windows II".

Then people will think it's Windows 2.

Then Microsoft will release the revolutionizing-better-than-ever Windows 3.

Meh. I'll just wait for Windows 3.1 before upgrading. biggrin.png

Soon its gonna be a race like Chrome 35 and Firefox 28 or whatever version they on now.

"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Science Fiction Quiz

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement