Looking for Input on a Low-Pay Internship

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 8 years, 4 months ago

I was offered an internship at a game development company during my last semester this coming Spring and am a bit torn on making a decision.

I am 32, married to a wife who works full time, and have a two year old. I do get paid through the GI Bill to go to school full time but that ends in April.

The internship is at a local game dev company and the pay is low (offered $10 an hour) with flexible hours even up to full time, but generally can work around my school schedule, which will be light. Despite it being a game dev company, I won't be doing actual game dev for the first project, but game dev will come later (Unity3D).

I am not sure I want to take it for the following reasons:

- I'd be driving 45 minutes one way to work for now.

- I have a wife and kid.

- $10/hr is very low pay compared to what I used to do (non-CS-related and will not do anymore).

Does $10/hr sound unreasonable for a game dev internship. I know other software development internships often pay twice as much or more. Any general input regarding angles I am not looking at and the pay are greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

I've seen better and worse out there. In general the larger companies will pay better, the smaller ones not so much. Location also matters - things are much better in Silicon Valley or Seattle or Austin than many other places. At the very least, I'd look at all your options if you don't have to respond right away. That includes non game software development options.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

I've seen better and worse out there. In general the larger companies will pay better, the smaller ones not so much. Location also matters

This is weird kinda the opposite where I am from. The smaller companies tend to pay more for internship type things than larger ones. The larger companies here go with min wage and that's it.

Anyways, once you have graduated it might be hard finding your first job without any experience. This will definitely help you out in the long run, who knows they may want to bring you back.

If it's really not worth it and you are only looking at the opportunity for the wage then don't, you can always find something else. If you feel as though this will give great experience and the wage gap isn't to big of a deal and you can survive from it, then go for it!

am a bit torn on making a decision.

Make a decision grid. Take those pluses and those minuses and add them up numerically, then weight them. http://sloperama.com/advice/m70.htm

There are a lot of positives from taking an internship; for starters, it's totally valid "work experience" in your desired industry. Yes, it's low pay and a long drive, but it's for a short time (there - I gave you two pluses and two minuses to start with).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement