[D3D12 SOLVED] Could not render triangles, no error output (debug enabled)

Started by
6 comments, last by VietNN 6 years, 9 months ago

Hi everyone,

I am new to DX12, I download sample project from MSDN and it can run and draw triangles successfully.

But when I create new project and copy code from MSDN sample (Hello Triangles Project). I do not know why it could not render anything to screen except clearing the screen with blue color.

Could you have a look at my code to see what problem is... I got stuck here for 2 days.

TestD3D12.7z

Advertisement

Edit: Remove to clean topic

One thing that stands out to me:

struct Vertex {
	XMFLOAT3 position;
	XMFLOAT4 color;
};

Here you have a float3 for position; which is matched by your input-signature declaration.

PSInput VSMain(float4 position : POSITION, float4 color : COLOR)
{
	PSInput result;

result.position = position;
	result.color = color;

return result;
}

But the Vertex-shader receives a float4. Even if this were technically legal (not sure in DX12), this probably means that the w-component is 0.0f, while it should actually be 1.0f when output from the vertex-shader w/o any persective transform, as is the case for you. I'd suggest trying:

PSInput VSMain(float3 position : POSITION, float4 color : COLOR)
{
	PSInput result;

result.position.xyz = position;
        result.position.w = 1.0f;
	result.color = color;

return result;

and see if this works.

Where are you setting your viewport and scissor rectangle? (m_viewport and m_scissorRect)

This is exactly what happens when you copy from multiple sources and smash it all together without reading things through.

Anyway, it will work once you initialize those

Edit: 

Juliean is write about using a float3 instead of a float4. Weird enough though, the w component actually gets default initialized to 1.0f, and as Juliean mentioned you would have assumed it was being zero initialized, this is a good reason to be explicit

First, I want to thank  iedoc and Juliean

That was my ridiculous mistake when quickly copy and paste

Actuallly, I was working on a bigger project, porting that project from D3D11 to D3D12 and met such an issue. Do not know why it could not render anything to screen. Because resource is huge, I can not upload it all here.

I am sure that I set m_viewport and m_scissorRect already on that project :). Here is my work:

- On init: (using commandlist 1, commandAllocator1)

+Create Vertex buffer (default heap and upload heap)

+Execute commandlist

+Sleep(1000): maybe do not need but just to make sure init command was finished on GPU before render.

- On Render: (using commandlist 2, commandAllocator 2, same commandQueue)

+Transition Vertex buffer from COPY_DEST to VERTEX_BUFFER

+Transition backbuffer to PRESENT to RENDER_TARGET

+OMSetRenderTargets

+ClearRendertarget

+SetViewport and scissor (sure it has value)

+SetGraphicsRootSignature and PipelineState (using same root and pipeline as above example because I just want to draw triangle, VertexShader use position as float3 and inputlayout is float3 also)

+IASetVertexBuffers

+IASetPrimitiveTopology

+DrawInstanced

+Transition backbuffer to RENDER_TARGET to PRESENT

+Execute commandlist

+Present()

+Update frame index

- I can see clear color, if I set clear color different each frame and set break point at present(), i can see it changed color each times but no triangles. Could you guys please show me if i miss any step.

Note: Sometimes, I can see that triangles blink at first launch and disappear.

I think I found problem with VertexBuffers, if I use a temp VertexBuffers it can draw. Need more time to investigate, thank you all :)

Thank you all, problem solved. I forgot the cull mode, using default rasterize state set cullmode to BACK. That make me can not draw anything

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement