Recruiting 2 designers and 2 coders

Started by
7 comments, last by White_crow 6 years, 8 months ago

Hi there!

We are working on an fantasy based RPG with some really challenging gameplay.  

We are working on real time fantasy bases RPG, with really challenging game mechanics. At the moment we have 2 writers, 1 programmer, 1 3D artist, 1 composer and one Project Manager (not including the project owner).

Now we need the following additional members possising SOME of the listed skills:

2 designers who know substance designer, photoshop, 3ds max/maya. Specifically a character artist and an environment artist.

2 more programmers with experience in Blueprint, C++ and Unreal Engine.

You'll get rev share after we publish the full game. However experienced applicants may get some money in exhange for the right to get that rev share. 

Publishing would not be an issue.

Important:

We need committed team members. Our goal is to publish a demo with 3-4 months, if only to provide some fodder for our resumes and portfolios. We'd like to continue the project after the initial demo, but our primary objective is to make SOMETHING that is memorable, and showcases the talent of each of our team members.

If you are interested PM me or better e-mail Paul: pauldando21@icloud.com

Below you may find our objectives statement:
https://www.docdroid.net/nYFMFBO/objectives.pdf

TY to Scounting Ninja I flamed below for some remarks :)

BR,

Alex

Advertisement

On 7/27/2017 at 10:13 PM, AlekseyRybchak said:

Part timers, dudes runing over 9000 other projects, lurkers, and those who got 'only 30 minutes per week' are highly unwelcome.

Your not paying anyone yet you expect them to work full time? How does that even work, how will these people pay for electricity and food if they are not allowed to have a job while working on your project?

Also it's artist not designers your looking for. Designers do just that, they make the UI and concepts, yet it isn't there job to make art that works in games.

Edit: no longer relevant

In this context a 'part timer' stands for a quitter; e. g. a person who tends to leave a team. If I ment full time job why would I mention no '30 minutes per week?'

On 7/28/2017 at 7:38 AM, AlekseyRybchak said:

In this context a 'part timer' stands for a quitter

Of course people are going to quit. xD

You are demanding professionals who spend over four years learning, to use software that costs around more than $600 a month. Then there is your character artist, who will need around six years of experience and software totaling around $1200 a month.

You demand professionals who will need to spend over $5000 a month just to work for you.

You do realize that if by some miracle you do get someone to do this, that person would be better at leading your team than you are, it would be no surprise if such a person left taking half your team to go work on there own project.

To put in perspective: It's like me saying I am going to open a field hospital, then demanding that only professional doctors to join me, although I have no medical experience at all.:P

I demand they only use the most expensive surgical equipment, even when we can't plug in anything because it's a tent in the middle of a field.O.o

Then when the little field hospital starts making money I take the same cut of the profit as the surgeon because I found the location. There I am doing nothing and profiting of people more professional than I am.9_9 (Sounds like a scam doesn't it?)

The worst part is because of my inexperience if I attempted to lead the team of doctors, I would only get in there way,:$ frustrating them up to the point where they quit. After all they are professionals and can find a job easy.¬¬

I hope the smiley faces make it a bit softer, I am really trying to help you here, after all you are doing all this to learn.:)

Test to see if the spoiler hides this only.

So first you have to realize that unless you can pay people they have no obligation to work for you. People die if they don't eat and they need to work to eat; there jobs will always be more important than your project.

Second unless you are paying for there software, you are in no position to make demands related to the software.

The third guide is don't use software just because it is what the industry uses. If you spend some time Using 3ds Max and Blender you will be shocked to learn how much better Blender is at making 3D models.

The industry just needs a lot more than 3D models and there workflow is set to 3Ds Max. Max isn't worth it's price and Maya could be cheaper.

Fourth don't revenue share, it's a nightmare, instead ask the people helping you how much it would have cost and keep a tab that you pay if you ever reach near it in revenue. If you pay a professional the same as a amateur, it will cause them to feel devalued and they will leave.

Fifth your team will break, that is why you must plan for it. Keep a message board using dropbox or a similar site. This is a board where people must type a update each day no matter how small. It keeps the others in the know and creates a sense of responsibility.

Most important the next person doing that job will at least have a kind of black box to study and see what the other person did.

I wish you luck, managing a team like this is much harder than working on your own.

Edit: No longer relevant info under spoiler

9 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

Of course people are going to quit. xD

You are demanding professionals who spend over four years learning, to use software that costs around more than $600 a month. Then there is your character artist, who will need around six years of experience and software totaling around $1200 a month.

You demand professionals who will need to spend over $5000 a month just to work for you.

You do realize that if by some miracle you do get someone to do this, that person would be better at leading your team than you are, it would be no surprise if such a person left taking half your team to go work on there own project.

To put in perspective: It's like me saying I am going to open a field hospital, then demanding that only professional doctors to join me, although I have no medical experience at all.:P

I demand they only use the most expensive surgical equipment, even when we can't plug in anything because it's a tent in the middle of a field.O.o

Then when the little field hospital starts making money I take the same cut of the profit as the surgeon because I found the location. There I am doing nothing and profiting of people more professional than I am.9_9 (Sounds like a scam doesn't it?)

The worst part is because of my inexperience if I attempted to lead the team of doctors, I would only get in there way,:$ frustrating them up to the point where they quit. After all they are professionals and can find a job easy.¬¬

I hope the smiley faces make it a bit softer, I am really trying to help you here, after all you are doing all this to learn.:)

So first you have to realize that unless you can pay people they have no obligation to work for you. People die if they don't eat and they need to work to eat; there jobs will always be more important than your project.

Second unless you are paying for there software, you are in no position to make demands related to the software.

The third guide is don't use software just because it is what the industry uses. If you spend some time Using 3ds Max and Blender you will be shocked to learn how much better Blender is at making 3D models.

The industry just needs a lot more than 3D models and there workflow is set to 3Ds Max. Max isn't worth it's price and Maya could be cheaper.

Fourth don't revenue share, it's a nightmare, instead ask the people helping you how much it would have cost and keep a tab that you pay if you ever reach near it in revenue. If you pay a professional the same as a amateur, it will cause them to feel devalued and they will leave.

Fifth your team will break, that is why you must plan for it. Keep a message board using dropbox or a similar site. This is a board where people must type a update each day no matter how small. It keeps the others in the know and creates a sense of responsibility.

Most important the next person doing that job will at least have a kind of black box to study and see what the other person did.

I wish you luck, managing a team like this is much harder than working on your own.

Why are you trying to prove your point so desperately? There are experienced guys in the team already. All your 'help' is a wall of text about proud professionals who would never work for a %; which is not some universal truth to put it mild.

Your several implication speak for themselves:

- you called me a parasite willing to make money on other people

- for some unknown reason you belive I am the game owner or a PM

- you feel like people need your guidance. I mean for sure noone can possibly know about a dropbox or about some PM tools. Thank you very much!

With the above said GL preaching and labling.

22 hours ago, AlekseyRybchak said:

Why are you trying to prove your point so desperately?

Because I do this type of work all the time, that is why I brows the hobby section. On a average day I spend 4 hours working with Indie developers, that is the free time I have to spare.

I have worked on 22 Indie games now, with 2 steam games exceeding 20 000 downloads and 4 mobile games exceeding 100 000 downloads. That is a success rate of +/- 27%, for Indie games that is a good number.

However that is only the games that reached the end of production, in total I must have worked on hundreds of indie games that just fell apart during development. Some early, just a few weeks into development other months later.

From your wording I can already tell things are off to a rocky start . it reads like a new developer with no experience attempting to micro manage areas that don't need micro managing, that the developer doesn't know how to manage.

All that is needed from the artist is assets that work with the game, it's there job to get it to that point, they spend years learning how to do it.

Personally I try to help developers with my experience, most of it bad, in hopes that they don't make the same mistakes as I did.

wall of text about proud professionals who would never work for a %; which is not some universal truth to put it mild.

That is what I am pointing out. It isn't pride that prevents them from working for %, they legally and physically can't work for you if they can't pay there software or rent.

I know lot's of people who work on projects like this, however we only have a small amount of time each day to do so. Because most hobby developers can't pay us what we need.

As for revenue share, I have tried it a few times, it never works.

There are experienced guys in the team already.

True chances are some experienced people would join to see what it is about. Because of how protective Indie developers are of ideas that is often the only way of finding out if the game is worth working on.

Even as a experienced 3D artist I find it hard to judge other 3D artist's skills, I 

- you called me a parasite willing to make money on other people

Sorry you feel that way. I was pointing out how the message reads, that was why I tried to soften it.

What I meant is that by demanding so much and not making clear what the people who join get from the project, it looks one sided.

Revenue share on a game that has less than 10% of being made and less than 30% chance of making revenue worth sharing, isn't a hook for most people. especially not the experienced ones.

Something that would help get experienced artist is allowing them to work with what ever software they are comfortable with and the knowledge that working on this game posses no risk to there livelihood.

- for some unknown reason you belive I am the game owner or a PM

Normally it's the developer who recruits, so it's a natural assumption. My mistake if you are not the developer.

. I mean for sure noone can possibly know about a dropbox or about some PM tools.

Not what I meant. I was referring to a constant updating message board. Working with people all over the world isn't a simple thing, wasting time to arrange meetings only to find that there wasn't that much to say; it's a pain.

If allowed several days to go past without any updates on the message board people are going to wonder about the state of the project. If you can get a flow going like how these forums work, chances of the game succeeding get's better.

Must have rough by me as well. But anyway this is a 'Hobby' section. So normally people would not check this post looking for some fixed payment. 

Some simply have no experience to apply for positions with established game studios. Some might simply want freedom and are ready to work on a side project for fun. 

I guess your remarks make a point. I'll re-write some of the requirements. They must really look way too high at a glance.

On 27.07.2017 at 11:13 PM, AlekseyRybchak said:

Hi there!

We are working on an fantasy based RPG with some really challenging gameplay.  

We are working on real time fantasy bases RPG, with really challenging game mechanics. At the moment we have 2 writers, 1 programmer, 1 3D artist, 1 composer and one Project Manager (not including the project owner).

Now we need the following additional members possising SOME of the listed skills:

2 designers who know substance designer, photoshop, 3ds max/maya. Specifically a character artist and an environment artist.

2 more programmers with experience in Blueprint, C++ and Unreal Engine.

You'll get rev share after we publish the full game. However experienced applicants may get some money in exhange for the right to get that rev share. 

Publishing would not be an issue.

Important:

We need committed team members. Our goal is to publish a demo with 3-4 months, if only to provide some fodder for our resumes and portfolios. We'd like to continue the project after the initial demo, but our primary objective is to make SOMETHING that is memorable, and showcases the talent of each of our team members.

If you are interested PM me or better e-mail Paul: pauldando21@icloud.com

Below you may find our objectives statement:
https://www.docdroid.net/nYFMFBO/objectives.pdf

TY to Scounting Ninja I flamed below for some remarks :)

BR,

Alex

http://www.gamedev.ru/projects/forum/?id=212159

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement