Where can I learn everything to do with Unreal?

Started by
10 comments, last by Apixy 6 years, 8 months ago
Spoiler

On 7/31/2017 at 6:34 PM, Scouting Ninja said:

Any game you can make as a single developer or small team can be made just using blueprints.

There is some slowdown from the Blueprint system, yet it's very small and should go unnoticed; a transparent material in unreal is more expensive than using blueprints and you will need a few of them before you are done.

I have also noticed Blueprints is also much faster than Python and there are some top games made with Python; so Blueprints is more than enough to make a game.

Just one thing: Blueprints is still code it's just a visual code. You will still need to use your programming knowledge to use it.

This is of course true for all engines, for example using JavaScript and C# with Unity is noting like using them on there own.

I find that Unreal's blueprints is more similar to C# than C++.

Not true at all. When Unreal 4 was first launched it was partly true that some complex things couldn't be done with just blueprints, you had to do complex workarounds or you know use C++.

The largest drawback from using Blueprints is the overhead of translating. It gets slower as your games get larger, yet by the time you make large games your team should have a C++ programmer.

Also if there is something that it turns out you need C++ to do it, then just learn how to do that one thing you need in C++.

On 7/31/2017 at 8:01 PM, MarcusAseth said:

I second the suggestion of learning some c++ outside of unreal (as you said you are doing, so keept it up :P), this not for the purpose of using it inside unreal, but because it ease out the way into concept like what a variable is, what an array is, what control flow or loops are, and you can test this things quick and dirty in c++ with a window console program right after you write the usual "hello world" program, while maybe is not so immediate to get this kind of feedback and understanding straight into unreal blueprint, but maybe that is me.

I remember being super confused at variables 2y ago, that's why I decided to learn c++, and that cleared my mind from all the confusion xD

Once you have this concept (functions, variables, data structures, inheritance) and so on, you'll be much more comfortable into blueprint :P

9 hours ago, jbadams said:

Humble Bundle currently have a bundle of books on learning Unreal and Unity, from Packt publishing.  As per usual for Humble Bundle, you can pay varying amounts to get more or less of the bundle depending on your desires, with the highest tier costing a minimum of $15.

I can't tell you what the quality of the books is, but I will mention that I have had a poor experience with some of their books in the past - some are really good quality, but others seem to be written by non-experts and are sometimes poorly edited.  If you're interested and don't want to just risk wasting money you could maybe check out some reviews of the included books before purchasing.

Other than that, agreed with some of the others: if you're interested in learning C++ and Unreal I would suggest learning C++ separately before approaching Unreal or to start learning Unreal with Blueprints while you learn C++ separately first.

So glad I asked the question, without your replies I would have wandered blindly into this unforgiving area of game dev.

I'm going to stick around gamedev and learn some more about development before I dive into it. 

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the pointers!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement