WoA V - Afterparty/Judging thread

Started by
116 comments, last by racsoth 6 years, 7 months ago
4 hours ago, ArThor said:

Do you have a screenshot of this problem if possible? I suspect its a GPU issue (your AMD card has given me hassle several times during these competitions ;) ) And if you have time the output of the glDebug.txt file with DO_DEBUG.txt enabled. No problem if its too much, I plan on grabbing an AMD card from ebay before next years competition anyway.

I have a screenshot of it:

78TJ8es.png

I renamed _DO_DEBUG.txt to DO_DEBUG.txt, but get no output in the GLDebug.txt file.

I've also made a change to the way overall scores are calculated, and now no longer round, but output the decimal results.  @IYP pointed out that rounding caused issues where total scores would end up higher or lower than individual judge scores.  So this will provide an accurate average of the scores now.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
Advertisement

@ArThor thanks for reviewing our game, did you play on easy mode, coz you mentioned it was too difficult, also the training level does not have background music, but there are sounds for rotating dominoes (right click) making the dominoes fall (left click), dominoes touching each other, and in general dominoes moving. Thanks again for playing the game.

Thanks for the review @ArThor
I am wondering if anybody has checked the options menu where you can see the input binds and change the mouse sensitivity.

Could you offer any (more) suggestions on what you would like different?

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

18 hours ago, slicer4ever said:

I've also made a change to the way overall scores are calculated, and now no longer round, but output the decimal results.  @IYP pointed out that rounding caused issues where total scores would end up higher or lower than individual judge scores.  So this will provide an accurate average of the scores now.

Interesting, and a useful-seeming addition--thank you for it. ^_^

Thank you @slicer4ever, @ArThor, and @Alpha_ProgDes for your reviews! They're really appreciated! ^_^

A few responses to some of the above reviews, if I may:

From Slicer's review:

... the projectiles feel slow ... It was also impossible to fight while the room was moving as the projectile's spawn location was quickly passed. strafing while firing also felt very weird, I'm really not sure how to describe it. I do feel that these are some aspects that could use a bit more polish.

Yeah, in retrospect I think that it would have been a good idea to add to a spawned projectile's velocity the velocities of both the shooter and, if applicable, the chunk on which the shooter stands. That would likely have made projectiles rather more predictable! In addition, as you say, it likely would have been a good idea to have sped them up a little!

Graphically the game looks decent enough, it's very tame though, and uninteresting to look at structures.

Definitely agreed; this likely comes to a large degree from my running short on time: level design happened in the last few hours of my participation. :/

Unfortunately either castle or alien invasion was suppose to be the 2nd theme, but really neither one is well done in my opinion, and it's not very clear what the 2nd theme is suppose to be.

I was afraid of that, indeed. I think that it would have come across rather more clearly had I not run short on time: I had plans for an introduction (both text and a mini-level), as well as in-level elements that I think would likely have conveyed the intended theme.

For any curious, the intended themes are as follows:

Spoiler

Alien Invasion--specifically, an invasion of otherworldly beings. I had wanted a textual introduction describing the invasion; a short scene taking place outside the tower, showing dead human soldiers; and unreachable platforms in the main level showing the aliens mustering for assault.

Chain Reaction--not in the sense of "actions causing further actions, producing a chain of such", but rather reinterpreted as "a reaction to or from chains". (Slicer interpreted this as intended, I believe; I note it here more for others!)

Overall I think the idea is really cool, and could be used to create a interesting labyrinth like shooter game. But the short level here only leaves me wanting more.

Auaargh, I had wanted so much more--more detailed levels, more exploration, a final boss fight, outro text describing what befell the protagonist after the conclusion, etc. >_<

However it is only a weeks work and I think it was fairly well done for what was provided.

Thank you--I appreciate that. ^_^

From ArThor's review:

I only collected a second weapon, number 3

Remember, the chained platforms are in pairs, and when freed from each other they fly apart; the second weapon should be found by going with one particular platform. ;)

More explicitly:

Spoiler

From the start of the level, jump to the neighbouring platform, cross the chain, break that chain, and jump to the next platform along (the one with the arch), as usual. Here, however, instead of crossing to the next platform again, break the chain from the platform on which you stand. You should fly off with the platform into the black distance--and eventually align with a small platform, just behind the archway. The missing weapon should be hovering over that small platform.

I managed to get to a room with a lot of enemies after getting some health back but nothing seemed to happen afterwards.

By your description, it seems that you did reach the "end", indeed--alas, as noted above, I didn't manage to properly finish the level; there's only an arena-battle (the enclosed room) to provide some sort of finale.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

13 hours ago, IYP said:

@ArThor thanks for reviewing our game, did you play on easy mode, coz you mentioned it was too difficult, also the training level does not have background music, but there are sounds for rotating dominoes (right click) making the dominoes fall (left click), dominoes touching each other, and in general dominoes moving. Thanks again for playing the game.

I just switched to easy mode and gave it another try. I managed to get to the end of the tutorial! But it took me a lot of goes. I think I'm just naff at timing. Definitely heard a few sounds this time, I'll update the review.

12 hours ago, ryan20fun said:
Thanks for the review @ArThor
I am wondering if anybody has checked the options menu where you can see the input binds and change the mouse sensitivity.

Could you offer any (more) suggestions on what you would like different?

Just tried playing with the sensitivity but I couldn't get it nice, I found it easier to keep the RMB down to slow the character down made it easier to aim, stopped me running into turrets too and because I was going slower i could keep either the A or D keys down which locked the aim left or right.

Controls wise, I would drop anything to do with the left right facing from the mouse and go with keys only, or make it an option. The slightest amount of X-axis on the mouse starts rotating the camera making it awkward to stay still and aim. Keep the Y axis in for the mouse though, Id also remove any notion of facing in or out of the screen, just keep it left or right. Thats my thinking others may think i am wrong :)

Other changes? The turrets feel way overpowered, one slip up and your dead. Maybe zoom out a little more or make them do less damage. The laser and firing effect could be nicer. You could also have their warning laser target reach further. Slicker UI would bring the whole game experience together too. 

I really like the feel and pace of the game otherwise, got a bit of a rambo feeling running through the opening terrain blasting the aliens.

1 hour ago, Thaumaturge said:

Interesting, and a useful-seeming addition--thank you for it. ^_^

Thank you @slicer4ever, @ArThor, and @Alpha_ProgDes for your reviews! They're really appreciated! ^_^

... Snip ...

From ArThor's review:

Remember, the chained platforms are in pairs, and when freed from each other they fly apart; the second weapon should be found by going with one particular platform. ;)

More explicitly:

Reveal hidden contents

From the start of the level, jump to the neighbouring platform, cross the chain, break that chain, and jump to the next platform along (the one with the arch), as usual. Here, however, instead of crossing to the next platform again, break the chain from the platform on which you stand. You should fly off with the platform into the black distance--and eventually align with a small platform, just behind the archway. The missing weapon should be hovering over that small platform.

By your description, it seems that you did reach the "end", indeed--alas, as noted above, I didn't manage to properly finish the level; there's only an arena-battle (the enclosed room) to provide some sort of finale.

I did not realise the platforms went two ways. I thought I would be left behind if I was on the wrong side never to reach the end of the game :( Just found the second weapon that I missed playing it again, thanks for the tip.

13 minutes ago, ArThor said:

I did not realise the platforms went two ways. I thought I would be left behind if I was on the wrong side never to reach the end of the game :( Just found the second weapon that I missed playing it again, thanks for the tip.

Not a problem! ^_^

Funnily enough, as Slicer pointed out, it is, I believe, possible to get stuck--but this calls for staying on a platform that doesn't have a chain, rather than one that does. The chained platforms should always reconnect and draw back together. (Which may leave you stranded if you're on one of the distant platforms with which they align.)

And thank you for playing it again, by the way! ^_^

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

I just noticed a little mistake I hadn't seen before. On my submission, under Dev Blog, the fourth entry is Endurion's instead of mine: https://neonlightgames.com/woa/submissions#Scrambled Eggs

It's no big deal, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

I also had a chance to let my game be tested be some colleagues. Turns out they also walked south east first while playing the game. I guess it makes sense since it's the direction in which most people read. From left to right and from top to bottom. Maybe I need to follow some level-design guides so I don't make mistakes like that again. 

Thanks for the review @Alpha_ProgDes

"If I have one complaint, it is that the controller support isn't complete"
I forgot to setup gamepad input bindings, I need to add that to a list of things to check.

Any suggestions?

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Thanks for the review @riuthamus

"however the mouse issue was just so damn annoying."
Did you try changing the mouse X axis sensitivity?
I wonder if I should have made that very obvious that the mouse control of left/right movement could be changed.

Any sugestions?

@slicer4ever, Did I ask you for any Any sugestions? and explicitly thank you for the review (if not: Thanks for the review)

I am sorry about the delay, I was hoping to have our 4th judge's results as well, but I haven't heard anything since sunday night, so I'm officially calling the contest at this point.  

Congutulations to all teams, we saw a great number of games this year.  Dmatter took the crown of first place however with his game, taking his 2nd first place finish!

The results as of this posting(scores may change on site if our 4th judge does add their scores) listed by team names:

1: dmatter - 95.33
2: Running Man - 87
3: Scrambled Eggs - 86.67
4: Racsoth - 85.67
5: PizzaFest - 84
6: ryan20fun - 83.67
7: Newtopia - 79
8: DogAndRocket - 76.33
9: cowsarenotevil - 76.33
10: New New Things -  74.67
11: kseh - 74.33
12: Mission Imperative! - 68.33
13: Strange Lights - 65.5
14: sjs-studio: 63
15: Avalander - 60
16: mousetail - 50.5
17: Spectre - 44.33
18: Ludologists - 43.5
19: TheNoNameTeam - 36.50
20: ScoutingNinja - 33

Good work everyone!  I will be contacting the top 5 teams shortly for claiming there prizes.

16 hours ago, ryan20fun said:

@slicer4ever, Did I ask you for any Any sugestions? and explicitly thank you for the review (if not: Thanks for the review)

No problem, I think i covered most of the possible suggestions in the review.  The biggest issue being the mouse controls and axis aligning.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement