WoA V - Afterparty/Judging thread

Started by
116 comments, last by racsoth 6 years, 7 months ago

Thank you very much for the review, riuthamus! It was instructive. ^_^

Argh, I see now that my game calls for a tutorial--at a remove, and seeing someone else play, there's a leap of logic called for that isn't at all obvious. Suffice it to say that there's more to be found in the game (including the second theme) once that initial leap of logic is made. ^^;;;

For any who find themselves stuck after crossing the first chain:

Spoiler

The secret is to shoot the chains.

... Not while standing on them. That would be a bad idea.

Something else that seems to be inobvious:

Spoiler

You can hold down the fire button. Think old-school shooters. In fact, the collectible weapons use that feature for charging shots.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Advertisement

Got Twitch workin, weird beast.

Ouch :)  You didn't even get to climb, you just had to walk towards a wall (albeit one without a block). I guess I failed pretty hard on the tutorials, without naming the keys and giving a bit more info. A shame, but clearly to blame only onto myself.

Once you get into the later levels things get really way more interesting than in the video.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

12 hours ago, riuthamus said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/168126246

Link to the full review of all the submissions. I did go through them in order of games in the rar file.

That was so great. I love being able to see people's live reactions, and, despite the fact that I know how playtesting is supposed to work, I have the hardest time not interfering when I see someone playing something I made, so a "naive" playthrough like this is extremely valuable. 

There are some obvious problems with my game, but I consider myself extremely lucky that people are consistently getting stuck in the same couple of areas. I'm totally looking forward to fixing up the ending as right now a lot of people miss all/part of it. I want to talk about it in more detail but I'm going to wait until all of the judging is done.

Finally, and this is purely my own vanity speaking, but I did make 100% of the geometry myself specifically for this game. In fact, aside from some primitive shapes (and a couple of spoilery things that appear at the very end), I managed to make everything out of the same 8-ish models that I made available earlier in the contest thread. I definitely took some of the base texture images from free sources, but all of the actual materials were mine as well (although for these I re-purposed some of the effects, like the dust, from my own other projects).

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

@riuthamus  I just finished watching your review stream. Very funny! Although I'm glad you enjoyed my game I think the highlight for me was watching you fail hard at @IYP's domino jumping game. xD

Cheers!

Hi All! Here is my Post-Mortem of "Invasion of the Liquid Snatchers!"

http://www.gilldave.co.uk/2017/08/week-of-awesome-5-post-mortem/

I've had a few people reach out to me about the fluid simulation and I've seen some of the community reviews speculating on how it works. So I've also written up a technical article dedicated to that:  http://www.gilldave.co.uk/2017/08/fluid-rendering-with-box2d/

4 minutes ago, dmatter said:

I've also written up a technical article dedicated to that:  http://www.gilldave.co.uk/2017/08/fluid-rendering-with-box2d/

Very cool, thanks for sharing! Would you be interested in also publishing that here at GDNet (linking back to the original of course)? I'm happy to get it all formatted and posted for you if you are. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

5 minutes ago, jbadams said:

Very cool, thanks for sharing! Would you be interested in also publishing that here at GDNet (linking back to the original of course)? I'm happy to get it all formatted and posted for you if you are. :)

Sure I'd be happy for that!

(You'll probably do a better job at formatting it than I've done on my own site ;))

2 hours ago, dmatter said:

I've had a few people reach out to me about the fluid simulation and I've seen some of the community reviews speculating on how it works. So I've also written up a technical article dedicated to that:  http://www.gilldave.co.uk/2017/08/fluid-rendering-with-box2d/

That was an interesting read--I had wondered how it was done, as I recall! Thank you for sharing this. ^_^

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Here is our Post Mortem

#PizzaFestWasHere

I've gone through and added a review for pretty much all of the submissions if anyone wanted a little more feedback. Might be nice in the future to have an alphabetical order filter on the submissions list too.

@slicer4ever

Graphically it looked nice, but on my system there were a large number of particle effects that were happening around the screen randomly. for example the engine trail effect for the ship that lands at the beginning of the game was cropping up across my screen in random places while playing the game.

Do you have a screenshot of this problem if possible? I suspect its a GPU issue (your AMD card has given me hassle several times during these competitions ;) ) And if you have time the output of the glDebug.txt file with DO_DEBUG.txt enabled. No problem if its too much, I plan on grabbing an AMD card from ebay before next years competition anyway.

Otherwise thanks for the review feedback, you picked up on several issues I knew about when submitting the game, upgrades are supported I just ran out of time to create the models and balance. I also hoped to include player castable spells too and align the weapon effect to the towers, time, time time....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement