Game designer looking for guidance

Started by
4 comments, last by Rutin 5 years, 6 months ago

Hello everyone! I´m new here so please forgive me any nonsense i could say, if i say any. 

So, currently i´m studying game design to start doing games. So far so well. I want to be a game designer and creative director if posible. The thing is that, from there, i don´t know what else to do. Like, when i´m done with the game design course, what things can i add? 

I must clarify: Besides game design, i write, so i have that covered. I like to illustrate and do concept art, but here´s the problem, i´m not very good at those things. I don´t really like programming, but i´d like to know a bit about it, just to... know. Or be able to use some engine by myself, like Unity or Unreal or etc. 

I know this is kinda confusing, but that´s because i´m confused as well. Want to add things to do my own proyects. What´s the standard path to follow after game design? Should i go with art and illustration? Or do programing first?   Or any other things you can tell me? 

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Welcome to the forums @Ivan Rusch :)

@Tom Sloper has a great website up regarding game design: http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html | http://www.sloperama.com/advice/designprep.htm

Are you looking at becoming a game designer for a company? Or just going freelance and making your own games?

Just so we're all on the same page, what is your current understanding in what a 'Game Designer' does? Many people confuse 'Game Designer' and 'Game Developer'.

Depending on how far you want to go in terms of prototyping you will want to learn basic modeling, and animation. You may want to consider learning C# with Unity if you want to prototype as well. Being able to pick up a scripting language can help.

Your most important skills are going to be communication, and technical writing. In a competitive market place, being able to create concepts and prototypes is highly recommended.

If you only had time to either improve your art or programming, I would suggest you work on your art (2D concept art, 3D basic modeling and rigging/animation + rendering).

You should also check the following forum: https://www.gamedev.net/forums/forum/19-game-design-and-theory/

Programmer and 3D Artist

2 hours ago, Rutin said:

Your most important skills are going to be communication, and technical writing. In a competitive market place, being able to create concepts and prototypes is highly recommended.

Quoted for truth!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

8 hours ago, Rutin said:

Welcome to the forums @Ivan Rusch :)

@Tom Sloper has a great website up regarding game design: http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html | http://www.sloperama.com/advice/designprep.htm

Are you looking at becoming a game designer for a company? Or just going freelance and making your own games?

Just so we're all on the same page, what is your current understanding in what a 'Game Designer' does? Many people confuse 'Game Designer' and 'Game Developer'.

Depending on how far you want to go in terms of prototyping you will want to learn basic modeling, and animation. You may want to consider learning C# with Unity if you want to prototype as well. Being able to pick up a scripting language can help.

If you only had time to either improve your art or programming, I would suggest you work on your art (2D concept art, 3D basic modeling and rigging/animation + rendering).

You should also check the following forum: https://www.gamedev.net/forums/forum/19-game-design-and-theory/

Yes, of course i know the difference, and currently i´m sudiyng/doing game design.

My goal is to work in a company, but since companies ask a lot of  previous experience (like, a LOT) and i live in Argentina, third world country with only mobile game market stuff, i want to make my own games, to get that experience.

Then apply to some company (imposible to create a sustainable and profitable company here, thus my wife (she is a programmer) and i want to move to Canada or USA (with jobs, of course, not just go to live from the air) or some country with a more sustainable economy to do what we love, videogames. 

So, i kinda need to know a bit of everything. So, should i start with basic programming and then focus on the art? Or viceversa?

Thanks a lot for the reply, i´ll check the links ASAP. 

P.S: Sorry to answer so late, bussy days and the schedule of our countries is very different. 

6 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

Quoted for truth!

Added your web to favs :) 

15 hours ago, Ivan Rusch said:

Yes, of course i know the difference, and currently i´m sudiyng/doing game design.

No problem. The reason why I was asking is because some people believe a game designer is like the team lead, or the idea person which isn't the case. I've seen posts where game designers wanted to know all aspects of modeling, animation, and programming so they could "oversee" these roles within their team, but again that isn't the job of the game designer.

15 hours ago, Ivan Rusch said:

My goal is to work in a company, but since companies ask a lot of  previous experience (like, a LOT) and i live in Argentina, third world country with only mobile game market stuff, i want to make my own games, to get that experience.

Sadly I don't know anything about Argentina, as I'm running companies within Canada currently related to my fields, and only worked with people as far down as the USA. If the requirements are very high then you'll have no choice but to get above average skills in terms of what other designers are doing. If this means becoming a decent concept artist in both 2D and 3D, and scripting, then you'll have to put in the time.

If you're going to work on both anyhow, just do both at the same time and split your time. The most important thing is to get started today and not waste time.

My other recommendation is to work on some hobbyist teams if you can. It might not be a "professional" environment, but at least you can get some actual experience working outside of the class room.

Best of luck!

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement