Programmer Starting team

Started by
33 comments, last by SonaScenic 4 years, 6 months ago

Before we start leaping forward in game decisions, we need to know who particularly filled each role that Doug25 listed out. Also I imagine the writer should be involved in discussions about genre.

Advertisement

@asdfzitro I was just wondering. Seems like we have a couple people with 3D programming/modeling experience. No 3D artists yet...

Hello. I'm a complete beginner with absolutely 0 experience. Before I continue, I must say right now I am not ready to work on a team, but very soon, a project like what you envision would be absolutely perfect for me (actually for us, great for building a portfolio) I am currently learning C# and the Unity Engine, from what I gather Unity is currently the better platform currently for 2D games (complexity wise). I have a passion for learning and gaming, and have reached a point in my life where I am able to peruse a serious career in game development. I have LOTS of time on my hands, I worked for years to allow my partner to peruse their dreams, since achieving that reality, its my turn now to peruse my dream. I believe I have successfully tackled the motivation and stress parts of learning to program, and summed it up into this sentence: "If your not failing, your not learning". My current path of education is:

Learn C# basics through Unity

Develop reasonably polished prototypes to practice and cement down certain concepts

Practice with the goal of mastering intermediate and advanced C# coding, (starting with advanced RPG mechanics)

Learn Unity networking, AI, and other advanced topics.

Deploy a game or tech demo that demonstrates intermediate and advanced C# and Unity concepts. Perhaps a complex RPG

Eventually move on to C++ and Unreal.

To my understanding, the "speed" benefit of C++ over C# is only if you are writing your own engine, or editing an existing one. In terms of gameplay and mechanics, C++ (and unreal engine) will only create stress for beginners, and really demotivate you to learn further. IMHO, from someone who tried to learn C++ and/or Unreal first (unless you become a blueprinter which wont get you very according to job listings), its definitely like trying to learn Advanced Calculus before working your way up from Algebra.

TLDR;

Who I am: Beginner C# Unity Coder. Passionate, Motivated Self-Learner. Team Player. Someone who doesn't sacrifice quality for speed.

Who I am not: Team Leader(this is your project, I'm here to build my skills, portfolio, and do what I love), Graphic Artist, Artist, Sound/Audio, Someone who mindlessly "figures it out along the way" on something without an end goal, and pathway to get there written on paper (this is the responsibility of a Lead).

If you find yourself struggling down the line in a few weeks/months, or having issues with your team, or looking for someone like me please contact me here or at scipiox64@gmail.com

Best of luck to you!

Hey guys! My name is Jonathan. I'd be very excited to  jump on this project. I'd be focusing on story making sure that the narrative for this project is solid ;) I've been waiting for something like this to sink my teeth into. 

Hi Jonathan! Nice to have you here bud! I'm sure Josh the writer would be looking forward to working with you again if you get on board with us!

Hey Doug, and everyone else! Writer here. I just wanted to mention I know JonCal15. He's a writer that I've worked with successfully before, in case we need to get a team of writers going. Just thought I'd throw that out there! Looking forward to getting started whenever.

What we really need now is an artist

Doug

If you’re an artist and you’re reading this post, we need you!

The hard part of team-building is done. This is a full team ready to go- hop on in and let’s get started!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement