Which video game have you seen with the most advanced piece of AI recently?

Started by
7 comments, last by IADaveMark 4 years, 6 months ago

want to see what your experience was like 

Advertisement

I don't think this game was particularly good or had smart AI, but it had an interesting take: game would observe what action you did - walking, running, crouching, shooting, vaulting, etc. and enemies would learn how to do that. If you stop doing some action for a while enemies forget about it.

https://youtu.be/-v1dV_R39lk

Probably the Assassin's Creed series because of their balance system.

Define "advanced". And for that matter, define "AI".

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

On 9/23/2019 at 1:46 AM, IADaveMark said:

Define "advanced". And for that matter, define "AI".

"advanced" in the terms of recent games how well do enemy characters interact with their surroundings or path-find

"AI" in simple terms Artificial intelligence 

so to summarise this reply a game where you've been blown away with the attention to detail and interactions in-game characters have with you from a game you've that you've never played before.  

Probably still F.E.A.R (1)s planning system

Check out http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~jorkin/goap.html for a list of other games that use GOAP.

F.E.A.R.'s AI success (or "advancedness", if you will) comes more from presentation than from algorithms. It's not GOAP that made the good impressions, but the barking system. In fact, I remember reading somewhere that GOAP in F.E.A.R. (or it might have been another game using GOAP) was underutilized, since plans changed so much that there was never time to execute deeper plans.

And that is important for this question: in games, the player notices things on the surface, not things under the hood. What we see as "advanced AI" often ends up being presentation tricks, hardcoded special cases or even scripted sequences. Which leads to @IADaveMark's question again: what do you really mean by "advanced AI", and what do you really mean by "seeing" that advanced AI.

1024 nailed it. People were fooled into thinking the AI was better than it was. The stuff that happened in there that is GOAP based is easily duplicatable in plenty of architectures such at BTs or utility.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement