Microsoft DirectX SDK Updated (Feb 2006)

Started by
65 comments, last by jollyjeffers 18 years, 2 months ago
MDX 2.0 DirectInput has changed a lot over the last few releases... I have a feeling it's going to get flagged deprecated soon in favor of regular Win32 calls or XInput...

also: http://www.thezbuffer.com/articles/350.aspx

Advertisement
Not using DI for keyboard/mouse is a good thing IMHO, but have the DX developers completely forgotten that controllers other than the Xbox360 controller exist and will continue to exist?
Quote:Original post by trevaaar
Not using DI for keyboard/mouse is a good thing IMHO, but have the DX developers completely forgotten that controllers other than the Xbox360 controller exist and will continue to exist?

No, they've not forgotten... but bear in mind that there are other APIs around to pull data from those controllers, at least on Windows XP. Chuck Walbourn said on DXDEV at the beginning of the month that using the Raw Input API and the WM_INPUT message was preferable to DirectInput (which just wraps that anyway).

Granted, there's still plenty of stuff you can't easily do without DI (like force feedback), which is why the component is still in the core DX SDK...

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by superpig
Granted, there's still plenty of stuff you can't easily do without DI (like force feedback), which is why the component is still in the core DX SDK...
I was always a fan of Action Mapping - I'll have to admit to not having used it much, but I thought it was a pretty cool abstraction/feature.

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Hi all. I too haven't updated my SDK in many months, so I went to the site to download it before getting back into my project. I notice there's a lot of DX10 stuff in there now (yes, I've been out of it that long), and it makes me wonder, if I'm still sticking with DX9, should I just continue using one of the older SDKs, or is it STILL best to get the latest despite all of the DX10 stuff?
The general rule is that you should only update your SDK if (A) you need a new feature or bugfix that is only present in the newer SDK or (B) you are starting a new project. If you're getting on just fine with an older SDK then you should feel free to continue using it.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Has anybody tried compiling something with the new SDK using VS C++ Express?
|>heartek
That Managed DirectX 2.0 is still beta is disappointing. It badly needs some documentation. At least things seem to be moving along though.
Quote:Original post by sthomas
That Managed DirectX 2.0 is still beta is disappointing. It badly needs some documentation. At least things seem to be moving along though.
Based on the information I have as well as what's hinted at in Tom's blog it shouldn't be too long before it goes final. I doubt you'd be too far wrong by hoping for final release included with either the April '06 or June '06 SDK's.

In the meantime you really should be on the MDX2 beta program if you want the latest-n-greatest information and resources.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
In the meantime you really should be on the MDX2 beta program if you want the latest-n-greatest information and resources.

Been trying to. I guess they ain't interested. :)
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement