Microsoft DirectX SDK Updated (Feb 2006)

Started by
65 comments, last by jollyjeffers 18 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by Nairou
I just didn't know if the latest SDK was still the best for DX9 development, or if I'm better off - even for a new project - sticking with the older June 2005 SDK, before all the DX10 stuff came out that I don't plan on using.

Use what works for you. The D3D 10 libraries have ABSOLUTELY no effect on an installation on Windows XP. Newer SDKs have various updates to libraries and samples. I always recommend you check the latest readme to see if it addresses an issue you have. In many ways, the DirectX SDK is like your video drivers -- don't update them unless you have a need to do it :-) (but keep in mind we only offer the most-recent 3 releases).
David "LetsKillDave" WellerNVIDIA Developer Programs ManagerPersonal blog http://letskilldave.comPersonal Twitterfeed: letskilldaveNVIDIA Developer Announcements Twitterfeed: nvidiadeveloper (clever name, eh? :-)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by dgweller
(but keep in mind we only offer the most-recent 3 releases).
I guess it depends on your internet connection, but I've got into the habit of downloading all the components of each SDK update - regardless of whether I have any plans of installing/using them [smile]

I've got 2.46gb of SDK's covering the last year alone...

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:Original post by circlesoft
Quote:Original post by TheOther
I agree. It's a bit too bad that it's not distributed similar to the Platform SDK.

You download the tiny installer which allows you to choose the DirectX SDK components that you want to pull down and install.

We discussed this extensively with the SDK team, and the general consensus was it isn't worth it because:

(a) The possibilities of getting out-of-sync SDKs are fairly high, and cause more problems than it's worth.

I'm getting the sudden feeling of deja-vu. I seem to remember us trading the same comments with the release of the last version of the SDK (or the version before that)..*grin*

Anyways, my only stupid question THEN becomes...how come MS distributes the Platform SDK this way then if there's a concern over out-of-sync material under this method of distribution/installation?

Why do it with one but not the other? Surely the Platform SDK is updated quite regularly as the DirectX SDK??

Quote:Original post by dgweller
Quote:Original post by sirob
I'd guess it was on beta.microsoft.com. Is that something different?

At any rate, I'm glad this finally got sorted out, thanks David.

Connect.microsoft.com is our replacement to betaplace. It's still a little "wobbly" though, but it will improve over time. Much better already (IMHO) than betaplace, except for that crazy newsgroup registration process. And believe me, the Connect people have already gotten an earful from internal folks about it!

I agree. connect.microsoft.com is a much better and more intuitive front-end to getting to the beta area (apart from said newsgroup registration process)..;)

I tried it out as soon as I was notified a while ago, and didn't experience any of this "wobblyness" you mention, but whatever.
Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
I've got 2.46gb of SDK's covering the last year alone...

hehe yea, I have gotten into the habit of collecting older SDKs as well, as we actually get people asking for docs, ect. pretty often. I don't have all of them, though...now if I could only find that pesky DX4 SDK...
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
now if I could only find that pesky DX4 SDK...
[lol] For a while I thought that someone in the DX team had a grudge against the number 4... The first build(s) of D3D10 were missing Tutorial #4 as well.

Quote:I'm getting the sudden feeling of deja-vu. I seem to remember us trading the same comments with the release of the last version of the SDK
Well the event Dustin mentioned was the beginning of October last year, and there have been 2 SDK releases since then - so it's quite possible this has appeared before [smile]

Quote:Surely the Platform SDK is updated quite regularly as the DirectX SDK??
I've not had a chance to verify this, but I don't think they do update it as often. The PSDK updates when there's a new OS and/or SP available - the rest seems to be fairly stable. I've not come across any other MS-SDK's with such a fast turn around as the DX one now that I think about it..

Cheers,
Jack

Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This is probably a little off-topic but I'm wondering if there are any pitfalls to installing the Vista CTP? I will be installing it on a windos xp machine on a 25G partition... Is this ok? Should I buy a new drive for it to be on? Is this 25gb enough space for the OS?
Quote:Original post by wxb1
This is probably a little off-topic but I'm wondering if there are any pitfalls to installing the Vista CTP? I will be installing it on a windos xp machine on a 25G partition... Is this ok? Should I buy a new drive for it to be on? Is this 25gb enough space for the OS?

Oh yea, that is plenty - just for the OS. If you want to install a lot of apps (Visual Studio, MSDN, DX SDK, 3ds max, ect), 25gb is pretty small. I just run it through VirtualPC right now, as my primary development platform is still XP.

By the way, the Feb. CTP is out for anyone that has MSDN access.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
I've had the last few builds of Vista dual-booted alongside XP on a 20gb partition and it's been fine.

I just run it through VirtualPC right now, as my primary development platform is still XP.
How's that working for you? I'm tempted to try that from now as it'll be easier than reinstalling everything every 2 months. Each time I update my Vista it screws my boot loader up more and more [lol]

By the way, the Feb. CTP is out for anyone that has MSDN access.
They've only released a staged build for the beta testers, so I'm hoping the MSDN is a non-staged. Best go check that [grin]

Jack

Is the .net framwork 2.0 automatically loaded when you install vista?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement