GameDev.net Community Challenge!

Started by
319 comments, last by AndyEsser 12 years, 7 months ago
ive tried the VC++ 2008 and VC++ 2008 SP1 and the VC++ 2005 and Java 6 or something Runtimesand it still wont start.
i have attached the Dependency Walker Image.
hope that helps.
:) :) :)

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Advertisement
kiwibonga (Hammertime)
should read
kiwibonga (Tunnel Jumper)[/quote] :)
My thoughts on the games I liked the most:

Tunnel Jumper was definitely my favourite. I was pretty disappointed when it ended, but obviously you can only create so much content in a weekend. I'd love to play a full release of this with more mechanics and more levels.

Bubble Time was a very close second for me. It was really addictive, and I kept on playing 'one more round' for a good couple of hours. And the music was really cool too. Again, a version with more powerups, maybe some particles etc would be awesome. Only criticism was that the spinning spikey things I thought were a bit too hard to avoid, almost to the point of being a bit unfair.

I also want to give an honourable mention to Bubblez and Rob, the Dumbass Robber. Neither of them really held me for too long, but I felt like they had a lot of potential with more time and content. And I really liked the visuals in Bubblez.

Finally, japro's demo thingy had a really cool style, and I'd be interested to see where that went, too.

This was my first game-in-a-weekend contest, and I really enjoyed it, and learned a bit too. Like a few have said, I'd love to try one over a few months or something like that, and try to come up with something more substantial.

Good job everyone!

This was my first game-in-a-weekend contest, and I really enjoyed it, and learned a bit too. Like a few have said, I'd love to try one over a few months or something like that, and try to come up with something more substantial.

Good job everyone!

Me Too.
and how would a person like me(with no visa card / cannot buy stuff online) contibute to the prizes ?
pictures or something i have acumalated(legal distrobution) ?

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

I want to thank everyone who took part in this Compo. This was also my first competition of this kind and had a fantastic time. Few things let me down with my game, and that can be seen in the scores, if i had dedicated more time to it I think I could've done better, but at least people for the most part seemed to enjoy it.

I haven't gotten around to playing them all yet - having to pack up because I'm moving house, but I'm hoping next week I'll be able to play them all and let people know my thoughts
Wow was this everyone's first competition? It was mine as well and it was a great learning experience and I enjoyed it greatly.

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

Journal:

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/908-xxchesters-blog/

Portfolio:

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

Company:

www.gwnp.ca

Yeah, this was my first competition as well. It was a lot of fun and feels good to finish something, even though technically I'm going to keep working on my game. I think the experience of just trying to get something finished in such a short amount of time will be useful for future projects. I also feel like my motivation got a major shot in the arm because of this competition, so thanks zer0wolf for taking the initiative, it was a great idea and I appreciate the effort you put into it.
Sorry for the name mixup on Tunnel Jumper, it was a bit late :)

When I get a short lull at work today I'll aggregate the review scores and post the winners on the front page.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Just curious, are there more judges? Or is it just going to be the two that have posted?

Servant of the Lord (MC Hammer Toss) - 7.0
FTUE - 2.5 - Getting the game to run was nice and simple, just unzip and run. Controls were part of the back drop, but easily understandable as it was starting to scroll. Nice work there.
G/A - 1.0 - Graphics were decent enough to not distract from the gameplay, but they weren't catching either. [size="4"][color="#ff0000"]There wasn't any audio.
Theme - 2.5 - Employed the theme doubly, with not being able to catch the crystal and having to avoid the obstacles.
Fun - 1.0 - Very subjective, I know, but it just wasn't fun to me. [color="#ff0000"]You chase a crystal that you simply can't touch. It is like dangling a hot dog in front of a dog and always being one pace in front of the dog,[color="#ff0000"] never letting the dog eat it. Kinda frustrating in that aspect.

No audio? ohmy.gif

Was the audio not working for you? There was background music, sound effects, and also a song at the end. And you do catch the crystal at the end (although granted, seeing that level 3 is hard, you might never have beaten it), so yes, the dog does get to eat the hotdog if he successfully does the trick.

But yeah, the gameplay itself isn't that fun. (And honestly, the game's ties to the theme are fairly loose in my opinion). Thanks for posting the reviews. smile.gif

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement