GameDev.net Community Challenge!

Started by
319 comments, last by AndyEsser 12 years, 7 months ago

I worry that those bees with their diabolical grin will haunt me tonight in my sleep.

That was my intention ;)
Advertisement

Thanks it works now, busy playing it.
and it has audio for me.

Glad it worked!
You seemed eagerly determined to play it, which is very flattering.

[quote name='ryan20fun' timestamp='1305832611' post='4813140']
Thanks it works now, busy playing it.
and it has audio for me.

Glad it worked!
You seemed eagerly determined to play it, which is very flattering.
[/quote]

Thanks.
i Love the text on the way up (im only on level 2 now) but the one Cake up Ahead reminds me of Portal.
:) :) :)

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Thanks.
i Love the text on the way up (im only on level 2 now) but the one Cake up Ahead reminds me of Portal.

I referenced Portal in several ways, since I was trying to go for the currently popular Portal-style humor. smile.gif
Which is why the next screen says, "The cake is a [s]lie[/s] crystal".
Thanks, everyone! I'm glad people liked the game :)

Congratulations to all; the entries were very interesting, and I'd love to see a follow up on each one!

New TunnelJumper coming soon!!
Thanks to all the judges for the feedback! This was my first contest entry and I found the feedback quite helpful. Here's my thoughts on how I did:

The Good:
A majority of my efforts were spent in collision detection, particle systems, and AI.
Collision Detection: I'm rather proud of this part. I've got bounding spheres and arbitrary polygon collision detection. The levels are defined by polygon regions. I think I did this part of the game decently, though colliding with a wall should cause the colliding object to slide rather than stop completely. Ran into some problems with floating point precision errors which helped to improve my library.
Particle System: I wrote a decent particle system in my library but haven't had to use it much. Putting it to use showed me some areas & features which were missing.
AI: The fan girl AI is a mildly interesting implementation of a state machine. I tried to get the fan girls to chase the player if the player was in their line of sight. If the fan girls lost line of sight to the player, they'd run to the last seen position of the player and then re-evaluate their situation. If there was nothing to do, they'd just wander around aimlessly. The AI *could* have been better if I created some pathfinding code so that the fan girls would actually wander with direction, but it wouldn't have added too much more to the game. As a fun little bit of polish, the fan girls throw up their arms in excitement and emit a trail of hearts when they're chasing the player. I couldn't stop laughing when I implemented that.
Design Document: I spent a few hours trying to plan out my game design. I need to get better at game design though, so I'll have to study this a bit more.

The Bad:
My level designs kinda sucked as well as my simplistic artwork. Ideally, I would have liked to give the player additional abilities to use and the levels would have been designed so that you'd have to make use of each ability to get past an obstacle. I'm not a very good game designer (hard reality check) so it's tough to creatively come up with reasonable obstacles and abilities to overcome those obstacles, and then design levels which are challenging enough. The levels should have been presented as rendered hallways, rooms, and stages with the polygon collision areas defining what can and can't be intersecting. My art skills suck, so it would have been a monumental effort to pull it off right.

My game *really* needed sound and a better game play mechanic to sell the game (missing due to lack of time). I think if you're going to create a game where you're a rock star and you're getting swarmed by an audience of rabid fans, you have to sell the idea by giving a short performance before the audience goes wild. It was in my plans to have spot lights, speakers, and music to give a bit of a delay to the level, but that didn't happen. The requirement for sound in this game was really high and I failed at it. In retrospect, I should have probably chosen a different game idea.

GUI was minimally passing: There was no menu system. The initial "help" screen was a quick hack. The win and loss screens were existent but really sucked. They should have had a "continue" or "retry" button which triggers the next level or starts over, gives feedback to the player on how they did, and been more visually appealing. The "Game Over" screen was another quick hack thrown together in 20 minutes. After the game ended, the game stops cold.
The "Dance" part of the game was barely evident in its effects -- The star power increased and the fan girls played a little dance animation, but this could have been done much better.

[quote name='ryan20fun' timestamp='1305834412' post='4813157']
Thanks.

I referenced Portal in several ways, since I was trying to go for the currently popular Portal-style humor. smile.gif
Which is why the next screen says, "The cake is a [s]lie[/s] crystal".
[/quote]

well, i like that.
i enjoyed the humor in Portal. and i enjoy th humor in your game.
now just to get to the 4th level...
haveing fun at it.

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Too bad I wasn't able to run the winning entry at the time (I already played and judged them a few days ago, so I might have missed an update or patch). Great to see so many have been able to make a game in such a short amount of time. Congrats to everyone! :)
Totally addicted to this game![attachment=2378:winnar.jpg]
Comma added for emphasis :P

Totally addicted to this game![attachment=2378:winnar.jpg]
Comma added for emphasis :P

Wow, a score of 10144 is pretty impressive. I'm glad you liked it and found it addicting. I'm still working on it, trying to add more enemies and powerups, while keeping the basic feel the same. Any new versions that I make I will post to my site here: http://joedev.net as well as posting on this thread. Do you have any suggestions or feedback for what could be improved?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement