GameDev.net Community Challenge!

Started by
319 comments, last by AndyEsser 12 years, 7 months ago

Just curious, are there more judges? Or is it just going to be the two that have posted?

I thought there werte four judges; zer0wolf, swiftcoder, Wan and myself.
So far only zer0wolf and myself have added our scores.

Saving the world, one semi-colon at a time.

Advertisement

ive tried the VC++ 2008 and VC++ 2008 SP1 and the VC++ 2005 and Java 6 or something Runtimesand it still wont start.
i have attached the Dependency Walker Image.
hope that helps.
:) :) :)

Despite the JAVAMS.dll in DependencyWalker, that's not actually needed or used by my game, and it's absence supposedly wont harm anything.
The real issue is either DEVMGR.dll or MSVCR80.dll.

DEVMGR.dll on 64 bit Windows XP is located someplace different than on Win7, and I can't resolve that issue.
However, MSVCR80.dll is only required because Lua was using it, and Lua isn't actually used by my program; I was going to use it, but I never did, so it's unneeded, but thinks it needs it since I still linked to it. wink.gif

This version has it successfully removed: http://www.mediafire.com/?0zf9brgandtdnb9 [size="1"] (rename to Game.exe instead of Game.exe.txt, and use it to replace the current Game.exe)
Either that will resolve the issue, or it'll still need DEVMGR.dll. If it needs DEVMGR.dll, I can't help. sad.gif

I thought there werte four judges; zer0wolf, swiftcoder, Wan and myself.
So far only zer0wolf and myself have added our scores.

Wan PMed his to me instead of posting them. In a couple hours I'll post his up, along with the aggregated totals.

[quote name='Servant of the Lord']
No audio? :o
[/quote]
I didn't get any audio at all. If Wan or MajorTom did then I'll raise that portion of the score a bit.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

[quote name='Servant of the Lord']
No audio? :o

I didn't get any audio at all. If Wan or MajorTom did then I'll raise that portion of the score a bit.
[/quote]

There was audio for that game, the end song was particularly entertaining. :P

Saving the world, one semi-colon at a time.

Nonsense, if my game failed to play audio, it failed to play it, and I deserve the score given since my game is buggy. If you are sure your computer wasn't muted, then I'm fine with it. smile.gif It just caught me off guard; but (in the interest of fair judging) if the audio works for only 3 out of 4 judges, then I totally deserve one score of 0 in audio for it not working for that judge. The scores of the other three judges will balance it out anyway.

Or, as George Patton said in a similar circumstance:

"The high spirit of sportsmanship and generosity manifested throughout speaks volumes for the character of the officers of the present day. There was not a single incident of a protest or any unsportsmanlike quibbling or fighting for points which I may say, marred some of the other civilian competitions at the Olympic Games. Each man did his best and took what fortune sent them like a true soldier, and at the end we all felt more like good friends and comrades than rivals in a severe competition, yet this spirit of friendship in no manner detracted from the zeal with which all strove for success." - [font="sans-serif"]General George Patton (when competing in the Olympics).[/font]
Wan's scores:

--------------------
CamJackson's 'Ewe Can't Touch This'
--------------------

UE: 7 - I like having a menu/intro. Took me a few seconds to find out the controls.
GA: 7 - No audio. Nice clean cartoony graphics. Healthy combination of sheep and vitamine C.
TH: 7 - Stuff in there that is better left untouched: qualified.
FF: 7 - Good replay value with the score keeping and upgrades.

OVERALL: 7

--------------------
j0mich01's 'Bubble Time'
--------------------

UE: 8 - Includes help screen. And a manual with pro tips!
GA: 8 - Got that nice retro feeling to it. Polished all around. The animated cursor together with the mesmerizing music hypnotized my cat. He's been sleeping for hours now.
TH: 7 - To touch or not to touch is very much present in this game design.
FF: 9 - Easy to get started, but more and more challenging as you progress. I had a very good Bubble time.

OVERALL: 8

--------------------
ryan20fun's Game
--------------------

UE: 7 - Help screen some what confusing, but the controls and game objective are easy to understand by themselves.
GA: 7 - No sound during the game, but intro and outro by famous British scientist. I think some sort of background would have been nice, but explosions FTW.
TH: 7 - I didn't RTFM, touched stuff and died. Theme accomplished.
FF: 7 - Game play is good, more or better graphics would have made it even better.

--------------------
XXChester's 'Rob, The Dumb Ass Robber'
--------------------

UE: 8 - Nice, includes post mortem and personal blog! Proper menu with help, easy to get started.
GA: 8 - Graphics and animations work well. Voice over and sound effects are simply awesome.
TH: 7 - I got touched and I now feel dirty. And I lost all the money.
FF: 8 - Great experience. Good game play with multiple levels, great graphics and sound.

--------------------
AndyEsser's 'Bubblez'
--------------------

UE: 6 - No help. Game starts right away and before you realize it you lost. The only way to play a new game is to restart? Easy to understand game mechanics though.
GA: 7 - Very nice graphics, polished look. I worry that those bees with their diabolical grin will haunt me tonight in my sleep. No sound.
TH: 7 - Yep, it's got that tactile theme.
FF: 7 - Very playable, progressively harder levels.

--------------------
kiwibonga's 'Tunnel Jumper'
--------------------

UE: 5 - Didn't run.
GA: 7 - Browsed the application directory and the graphics look pretty sweet! It appears it also has sound effects.
TH: 7 - Couldn't touch it.
FF: 6 - I didn't get to experience the actual game play, but was impressed by the number of files used by this game. Winrar.png is now my new desktop background!

OVERALL: 6 (but I didn't actually play it)

--------------------
Mussi's 'Hammertime'
--------------------

UE: 7 - Simple and sufficient help file, author has a very cool name. Game play pretty intuitive.
GA: 7 - Ooo, 3D! Cool models. No sound.
TH: 7 - Not immediately clear, but getting squashed against the wall certainly is a form of touch. And hammers!
FF: 7 - Simple game play, looks nice. Something indicating how you're doing (score, damage) would have been cool.

--------------------
slayemin's 'SUPERSTAR'
--------------------

UE: 7 - Intro screen and help file with background story. Really didn't want to run away, but got into it eventually.
GA: 8 - Very nice, love the little animations. No sound, but I guess you can just play your own favorite rock music in the background and it makes sense.
TH: 7 - There's tons of touching to the point where it becomes sexual harassment.
FF: 9 - Very entertaining game with nice little details.

laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
kiwibonga's 'Tunnel Jumper' (9.7 + 8.5 + --) / 2 = 9.1
j0mich01's 'Bubble Time' (9.1 + 7.5 + 8.0) / 3 = 8.2
Servant of the Lord's 'MC Hammer Toss' (9.0 + 7.0 + --) / 2 = 8.0
XXChester's 'Rob, The Dumb Ass Robber' (7.4 + 7.0 + 8.0) / 3 = 7.5
CamJackson's 'Ewe Can't Touch This' (6.6 + 5.0 + 7.0) / 3 = 6.2
AndyEsser's 'Bubblez' (5.8 + 5.5 + 7.0) / 3 = 6.1
ryan20fun's game (5.8 + 5.5 + 7.0) / 3 = 6.1
slayemin's 'SUPERSTAR' (4.4 + 5.0 + 8.0) / 3 = 5.8
Mussi's 'Hammertime' (4.2 + 4.5 + 7.0) / 3 = 5.2
Muzz5's 'Airplane' (4.6 + 3.5 + --) / 2 = 4.1
japro's 'Nameless Demo Thingy' (-- + 3.5 + -- ) / 1 = 3.5

Congrats to everyone who finished a game. Even if you didn't score well, you can still pat yourself on your back for getting something delivered in such a short period of time.

For the top 4 scores, send me a PM with the order of priority that you want each of the 3 prizes. I'll run down the list, giving the 1st place first pick, 2nd place second pick, etc.
Thanks for the reviews Wan.

author has a very cool name[/quote]
Haha thanks :), don't hear that very often.

[Edit] Ooh congratulations to the winners!
[Edit2] Thank you zer0wolf for organizing this challenge and giving away prizes! Very much appreciated.
Congratulations everyone, job well done and thank you zer0wolf for hosting the event!

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

Journal:

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/908-xxchesters-blog/

Portfolio:

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

Company:

www.gwnp.ca

[quote name='ryan20fun' timestamp='1305794769' post='4812925']
ive tried the VC++ 2008 and VC++ 2008 SP1 and the VC++ 2005 and Java 6 or something Runtimesand it still wont start.
i have attached the Dependency Walker Image.
hope that helps.
:) :) :)

Despite the JAVAMS.dll in DependencyWalker, that's not actually needed or used by my game, and it's absence supposedly wont harm anything.
The real issue is either DEVMGR.dll or MSVCR80.dll.

DEVMGR.dll on 64 bit Windows XP is located someplace different than on Win7, and I can't resolve that issue.
However, MSVCR80.dll is only required because Lua was using it, and Lua isn't actually used by my program; I was going to use it, but I never did, so it's unneeded, but thinks it needs it since I still linked to it. wink.gif

This version has it successfully removed: http://www.mediafire...0zf9brgandtdnb9 [size="1"] (rename to Game.exe instead of Game.exe.txt, and use it to replace the current Game.exe)
Either that will resolve the issue, or it'll still need DEVMGR.dll. If it needs DEVMGR.dll, I can't help. sad.gif
[/quote]

Thanks it works now, busy playing it.
and it has audio for me.

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement