WoA V - Afterparty/Judging thread

Started by
116 comments, last by racsoth 6 years, 7 months ago

Congratulations to Dmatter and thanks again to Slicer4Ever, the judges, and everyone that made this event possible.

Also thanks to Riuthamus for the video reviews. It was really cool to get your thoughts and reactions from an initial play through. I didn't watch the entire video but seeing the total time coming to about 4.5 hours helps put into perspective how much time is involved looking at all these entries.

It's interesting the way that revelation of the theme and pressures of time can throw any preconceived notions of how things are going to go right out the window. I think I had more difficulty with both those this year and yet it seems that my score this year is quite similar to last year's so I'm wondering what to take away from that.

Advertisement

Wow, I see that my post-mortem was featured! Thank you to whoever arranged that! ^_^

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Hey, I'm a bit late to the party, but thanks to all the judges and @slicer4ever for making this possible! It was really fun to participate!

Thank you everyone,  This has been another great year for the WoA.   I'm quite happy to see how well it's turned out for the past several years, and I think we've made some great strides in improving it over the years.  The amount of work you all do is tremendous, and seeing your ideas and games come together throughout the week is very cool to see.

This year however is going to be the last year that I take up the mantle for organizing and running it.   I'm hopeful someone will be up to taking up the mantle for next year,  @khawk Has plans to bring the contest and gamejam parts of gd.net online later this year, so ideally it should make future contests a bit easier to run :).  I thank you all for helping make the week into what it is, And i wish good luck to whomever wishes to continue the week of awesome.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
On 2017/09/03 at 6:40 PM, slicer4ever said:

This year however is going to be the last year that I take up the mantle for organizing and running it.

Ah, I'm sorry to read it! Still, fair enough, and thank you for all of your work during the Weeks of Awesome thus far! ^_^

I do hope that it is taken up by someone next year--perhaps it will be integrated as an official GameDev.net competition?

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Well I enjoyed this immensely, although I still haven't managed to review a single one of the other games yet. I've liked what I've seen so far, though! I guess it's a good thing I wasn't a judge.

I was really pleasantly surprised by the response to my game. It wasn't a great fit for this contest, since it was much more about style than gameplay in the traditional sense, but I feel like it was judged based on its own merits. Even with some major pacing issues, I feel like people still manged to actually engage with it.

I wish I'd had a chance to playtest a bit more, since I probably would have realized that going back upstairs after finding the floating orbs was not at all an obvious choice. I also noticed that it's a bit too easy to step into the final trigger zone while pointed away from the window, thus missing the ending. There are some pretty obvious things I could have done to avoid this had I discovered it a bit earlier.

The idea for the aliens actually came from modeling the scroll ornaments on the columns. I thought "hmm, this looks sort of like some weird alien face," remembered that aliens were in fact part of the contest theme, and just rolled with it. I'd have liked to incorporate the scroll pattern into the actual alien design, but I didn't quite get to that in time. I've already added a lot of detail and polish to the floating spheres and secret staircase area, but I think this whole baroque + alien aesthetic might actually work if I can get it to gel together with a bit more nuance.

It's been a few years since I've actually made a serious attempt at a game jam, and even longer since I've attempted a solo entry, so I'm definitely trying to polish and expand my game into something longer and less broken. The two biggest things I'd like to add are some more involved gameplay with the alien, including possibly some kind of chase sequence, plus actually getting to meet the king. If this works out I might try to have it tested more thoroughly and release it as some kind of donationware. 

Also, my castle looks a lot like the Cuban embassy for some reason? Especially now that I've gotten around to polishing it up a bit more. 

Spoiler

facade.png

Embassy_of_the_Republic_of_Cuba_in_Washington,_D.C.jpg

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
On 3/9/2017 at 11:40 AM, slicer4ever said:

This year however is going to be the last year that I take up the mantle for organizing and running it.

That's too bad, a you did a great job as both an organizer and a judge, but I understand the burden of being the organizer of an event and dealing with all the details. Good thing I participated this year :)

Thanks a lot to everybody! This was a quite enjoyable experience; I'm looking forward to participate again next year!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement