Looking for a game engine.

Started by
17 comments, last by zizulot 6 years, 4 months ago
7 hours ago, zizulot said:

Disagree about Unity, a lot of people talking trash here about it

Yea true it does get a lot of trash talk but that is because Unity asks for it. I keep lists of perks and cons of every engine I use so I can decide on the fly what to use, Unity has over a thousand cons.

1.) Unity fonts: Unity does not support even basic font effect. Gradients, colors curves; none of these work. Update: Unity has a few font effects now (border and shadow) but they use a slow copy of the font; don't use them for mobile games.

- Use Unity font tools. (All Unity bought packs is in Libraries\Documents\UnityUtilities.unitypackage)

- Can also import custom fonts, with some pains, so rasterized fonts can be used to cover this. Tested with photoshop.

- Never use the Unity font BestFit option, it fills the memory with different sizes of the same font.

- Unity 3D font is just a texture, use custom font meshes for vector font. Use normal shaders with these, Unity font shaders causes artifacts. (Libraries\Documents\3DDoodles\3DText)

- Unity fonts consume 4 vertices per character, counts to the 64 000 vertices limit of the UI, use custom batch for text based games.

That is just one of more than a thousand entries like that I have for Unity. I often find that a lot of Unity users never more than skim other engines, that is fine I get that some people work better sticking to tools they know. Just understand that when people talk trash of Unity they do so from experience.

Unreal has more than 300 entries now, fonts isn't on that list because Unreal has amazing font effects.

Unity is a good engine and the pro and free version is the same thing now. Unity should be most new developers go to engine. Unity is also a very good go to engine for mobile games.

Unity is a fantastic beginner engine and has a huge amount of pros (More than 1200).

1 hour ago, kburkhart84 said:

it can be a good thing that stuff on the asset store isn't part of the Unity engine.

I just want to clear up in case there is confusion. Unity Technologies, still owns the store, they just don't use the engine staff to run it. Working on a engine is a full time job.

Advertisement
9 minutes ago, Scouting Ninja said:

I just want to clear up in case there is confusion. Unity Technologies, still owns the store, they just don't use the engine staff to run it. Working on a engine is a full time job.

Yeah, I could have been more clear.  Unity owns the store of course.  My point is that some of the things that are in the store and are NOT part of the core engine are better off that way due to how niche they are.  I wouldn't mind seeing some nice voxel terrain as part the Unity core engine.  But, I also realize that voxel terrain is not likely to perform as well as what they have now(heightmap based terrain, not sure which algorithm).  If they included voxel terrain, it would either replace the faster version(bad idea, especially considering mobile platforms), or it would be an option, in which case, unless they figure out how to exclude unused code from builds in a proper way, will bloat the builds with features that aren't always used.  I'm sure there are other better example than voxel terrain as well.

20 hours ago, kburkhart84 said:

That is actually no longer the case.  They changed things up, with the free version actually having all of the features that the pro version had before.  The dark skin GUI is still only in pro, as is the customizeable/removable splash screen.

I also wanted to mention....sometimes, it can be a good thing that stuff on the asset store isn't part of the Unity engine.  It would be even better if the stuff was part of the engine, but able to be taken out of builds if not needed, but lots of things would degrade performance just being part of the core, meaning it is sometimes better to have the separate and only included if you are actually using them.

Well good news for me :) , I use 4.6 now, so in which version they made import video possible?

19 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

Yea true it does get a lot of trash talk but that is because Unity asks for it. I keep lists of perks and cons of every engine I use so I can decide on the fly what to use, Unity has over a thousand cons.

1.) Unity fonts: Unity does not support even basic font effect. Gradients, colors curves; none of these work. Update: Unity has a few font effects now (border and shadow) but they use a slow copy of the font; don't use them for mobile games.

- Use Unity font tools. (All Unity bought packs is in Libraries\Documents\UnityUtilities.unitypackage)

- Can also import custom fonts, with some pains, so rasterized fonts can be used to cover this. Tested with photoshop.

- Never use the Unity font BestFit option, it fills the memory with different sizes of the same font.

- Unity 3D font is just a texture, use custom font meshes for vector font. Use normal shaders with these, Unity font shaders causes artifacts. (Libraries\Documents\3DDoodles\3DText)

- Unity fonts consume 4 vertices per character, counts to the 64 000 vertices limit of the UI, use custom batch for text based games.

That is just one of more than a thousand entries like that I have for Unity. I often find that a lot of Unity users never more than skim other engines, that is fine I get that some people work better sticking to tools they know. Just understand that when people talk trash of Unity they do so from experience.

Unreal has more than 300 entries now, fonts isn't on that list because Unreal has amazing font effects.

Unity is a good engine and the pro and free version is the same thing now. Unity should be most new developers go to engine. Unity is also a very good go to engine for mobile games.

Unity is a fantastic beginner engine and has a huge amount of pros (More than 1200).

Man , I was working with Unity for about 1+ years now, hearing this cons makes me think about it, but I invested so much time in it so its so hard to change engine, what would you advice?

37 minutes ago, zizulot said:

Well good news for me  , I use 4.6 now, so in which version they made import video possible?

No idea. I think it was when they changed how there license(4.8?) works. I use Unity 2017(2017.01 I will update when done with my next game) and it has the video player script.

It supports the basic ones but depending on what platform you make for some videos won't work, this is the nature of most video codex.

37 minutes ago, zizulot said:

Man , I was working with Unity for about 1+ years now, hearing this cons makes me think about it, but I invested so much time in it so its so hard to change engine, what would you advice?

With a years experience you do have a understanding of how games work. So downloading other engines to see how they work is not a bad idea.

However be warned you won't immediately like the other engine even if it is good, the human mind does not like change, you will get frustrated at the start(it happens to all of us). A thing that helps is finding common ground, in Unreal the blueprints work like Unity's scripts.

There is no need for you to try any other engine at all. Many developers believe you should stick to one engine until you have made at least one game from start to end.

I think the license change to Unity happened with the release of 5.0, I could be wrong.

On 2017-12-11 at 5:59 PM, Scouting Ninja said:

No idea. I think it was when they changed how there license(4.8?) works. I use Unity 2017(2017.01 I will update when done with my next game) and it has the video player script.

It supports the basic ones but depending on what platform you make for some videos won't work, this is the nature of most video codex.

With a years experience you do have a understanding of how games work. So downloading other engines to see how they work is not a bad idea.

However be warned you won't immediately like the other engine even if it is good, the human mind does not like change, you will get frustrated at the start(it happens to all of us). A thing that helps is finding common ground, in Unreal the blueprints work like Unity's scripts.

There is no need for you to try any other engine at all. Many developers believe you should stick to one engine until you have made at least one game from start to end.

I know about changing things up makes you mfrustrated, but before Unity I was working with Game Maker for a while, then decided to move up to Unity, to be honest it was way much more difficult engine to understand but I was happy with it, I will give Unreal engine a try, mostly Im making 2D 2.5D games, so thats whats made me to choose Unity, I have no idea which language Unreal using I think C++ , is it hard to move between c++ and c#?

On 2017-12-12 at 5:03 AM, kburkhart84 said:

I think the license change to Unity happened with the release of 5.0, I could be wrong.

Thats awesome , I have Unity 5.5 aswell as 2017 so thats no problem, Im just using 4.6 just for a while, I will move up gradually

43 minutes ago, zizulot said:

I will give Unreal engine a try, mostly Im making 2D 2.5D games

Then you have less reason than most to change to Unreal. Unreal's 2D part is nothing special.

I have made a few of my games now in both engines to see how they differ. Unreal was much better for my UI only games, like match 3 games, giving much better performance and UI tools.

Unity worked well for most 2D games except the UI ones, so it is still my go to engine for mobile 2D games; except the UI ones.

For desktop 2D games I use Unreal, because they are much larger and Unreal is great for long term projects.

58 minutes ago, zizulot said:

Unreal using I think C++ , is it hard to move between c++ and c#?

C++ is harder but as always C++ with the engine isn't like working with pure C++. For most part C++ and C# looks identical:

Spoiler

//C++ Custom Max function
int max(int num1, int num2) {

int result;

if (num1 > num2)
      result = num1;
   else
      result = num2;

return result; 
}

//C# Custom Max function

int result;

if (num1 > num2)
      result = num1;
   else
      result = num2;

return result; 
}

How they work underneath is very different. The hardest thing to learn for C++ is garbage collection but again if you mostly work with Unreal functions it's not that much of a concern.

About the Blueprints VS Code thin I have an example I made, so people want to compare can:

Spoiler

Unity code C#

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;

public class TheUnityVersion : MonoBehaviour {

int AddTwoNumbers(int NumberA, int NumberB){
		return NumberA + NumberB;
	}

void PrintEveryChar(string InString){
		foreach (char Character in InString) {
			print (Character);
		}
	}

// Use this for initialization
	void Start () {
		string TempString = AddTwoNumbers (100, 20).ToString();
		print (TempString);

PrintEveryChar (TempString);
	}

}

Unreal Blueprints:

xUnrealBasic.thumb.jpg.3c6b0bed5c5d19a6e

Feel free to share this with others so they can compare the two.

On 2017-12-14 at 4:38 PM, Scouting Ninja said:

Then you have less reason than most to change to Unreal. Unreal's 2D part is nothing special.

I have made a few of my games now in both engines to see how they differ. Unreal was much better for my UI only games, like match 3 games, giving much better performance and UI tools.

Unity worked well for most 2D games except the UI ones, so it is still my go to engine for mobile 2D games; except the UI ones.

For desktop 2D games I use Unreal, because they are much larger and Unreal is great for long term projects.

C++ is harder but as always C++ with the engine isn't like working with pure C++. For most part C++ and C# looks identical:

Hide contents

//C++ Custom Max function

int result;

if (num1 > num2)
      result = num1;
   else
      result = num2;

return result; 
}

//C# Custom Max function

int result;

if (num1 > num2)
      result = num1;
   else
      result = num2;

return result; 
}

How they work underneath is very different. The hardest thing to learn for C++ is garbage collection but again if you mostly work with Unreal functions it's not that much of a concern.

About the Blueprints VS Code thin I have an example I made, so people want to compare can:

Hide contents

Unity code C#

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;

public class TheUnityVersion : MonoBehaviour {

int AddTwoNumbers(int NumberA, int NumberB){
		return NumberA + NumberB;
	}

void PrintEveryChar(string InString){
		foreach (char Character in InString) {
			print (Character);
		}
	}

// Use this for initialization
	void Start () {
		string TempString = AddTwoNumbers (100, 20).ToString();
		print (TempString);

PrintEveryChar (TempString);
	}

}

Unreal Blueprints:

xUnrealBasic.thumb.jpg.3c6b0bed5c5d19a6e

Feel free to share this with others so they can compare the two.

Love your reply, you helped me a lot :) , I will try my hand on Unreal, if something than I will dump it and get back to Unity

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement