Looking for a game engine.

Started by
17 comments, last by zizulot 6 years, 5 months ago

First off, I have some experience in coding, and I've been told I am talented in the ways of mathematics, but I never learned an entire programming language well enough to make an actual game. But I'm not looking for a game engine where there is no coding or scripting at all, I would prefer something where you can set up the game world or levels by dragging and dropping objects in. But I could control the behavior of the objects through simple logic parameters that you set up by selecting things from lists and inputting data. 
One example is that if you were dropping in the area the player would walk on you could select the object that the player would walk on and from a list that would come up you would select something like "Lable" or "Property" that would bring up a text box where you could input something like "solidSurface" and then you would select the level which would bring up a list where you could select an if/then choice and you would be guided through a thing called "Object Define" where it would say, "If object has lable/property, " and you would select from a list of lables or properties you already made like the "solidSurface" thing you entered in earlier, then you would select some things from a list saying "Player" and you would select an action like "Collide" and finally you would select an action that would happen on collision like "Stop" and you would end up with a surface the player can walk on top of.
Or if you were making an RPG and you wanted to define how a certain attack worked and had already set up variables for the stats of the player, enemies, and equipment you could type in some things like "preDamage = (weaponAtk x 1.25) x ((playerStrgth / 100) + 1)" and "enemyDefence = enemyArmor x ((enemyEnd / 100) + 1)" and "actualDamage = preDamage - enemyDefence" then you would select an if/then/else template saying something like "if actualDamage < 0, actualDamage = 0, else enemyHP = enemyHP - actualDamage"

If you know of a game engine that is like or similar to what I'm looking for or if you need more information to know for sure, please leave a reply.

Having ideas is one thing but the means to make them real is quite another. But at the very least, you can have fun talking about them.

Advertisement
42 minutes ago, Levi Lohman said:

I would prefer something where you can set up the game world or levels by dragging and dropping objects in.

Game maker, Unity and Unreal allow for this. You make your art outside the game, drag it in and there it is.

43 minutes ago, Levi Lohman said:

One example is that if you were dropping in the area the player would walk on you could select the object that the player would walk on and from a list that would come up you would select something like "Lable" or "Property" that would bring up a text box where you could input something like "solidSurface" and then you would select the level which would bring up a list where you could select an if/then choice and you would be guided through a thing called "Object Define" where it would say, "If object has lable/property, "

Unity and Unreal both have tags, layers and properties that do exactly this.

You tell the object how it should act when it hits "Ground" and you label the floor mesh as ground.

45 minutes ago, Levi Lohman said:

Or if you were making an RPG and you wanted to define how a certain attack worked and had already set up variables for the stats of the player, enemies, and equipment you could type in some things like "preDamage = (weaponAtk x 1.25) x ((playerStrgth / 100) + 1)" and "enemyDefence = enemyArmor x ((enemyEnd / 100) + 1)" and "actualDamage = preDamage - enemyDefence" then you would select an if/then/else template saying something like "if actualDamage < 0, actualDamage = 0, else enemyHP = enemyHP - actualDamage"

This is what programming is. You declare a value like Damage and can use it to do all kinds of math.

It looks like you are looking for a game engine, I recommend Unity or Unreal for 3D and GameMaker or Unit for 2D. 

I would recomend Unity , you can do all the above , its more complicated than Game Maker but, once you get grip you can make amazing things whit it, Dunno about Unreal didnt tryed it yet

Unity is the wrong choice while this is all added by plugins you need to download from third party people using the Unity Store and may need to fix some issues. Unreal has there Blueprint System built in and working without code natively

If you are planning for your game to be 2d Godot is a pretty great choice =)

Scouting Ninja didn't mention it, but Gamemaker can do the same thing that he/she is talking about there.  You can make an object be a sort of "parent" and then you make other objects "children" objects of said parent.  Then, the children can override specifics of the parent if they want to.  In code, you can refer to the parent object, and all the children objects will be included.  You can make a parent bullet, and a parent enemy.  Then you make all your player's bullets, no matter the shape, size, movement be children of the parent.  Then you make all enemies children of the parent enemy(also no matter what the do).  Finally, you make a single collision event between the two parent objects.  Then, any of the bullets will collide with any of the enemies and the event will happen.  This puts the event code all in one place no matter how many different bullet or enemy type objects you have.

This concept also works in Unity(and I'm sure Unreal as well), but using standard OOP style class inheritance for the script objects.

On 11/19/2017 at 11:37 PM, Shaarigan said:

Unity is the wrong choice while this is all added by plugins you need to download from third party people using the Unity Store and may need to fix some issues. Unreal has there Blueprint System built in and working without code natively

You don't need to download plugins for Unity to make basic games, and frankly I'm not at all sure how you got that impression as it hasn't worked that way any time in the recent past. Unreal is certainly a viable alternative but it has a steeper learning curve and the learning resources for it aren't as good as they are for Unity. Not to mention that really understanding Unreal development requires at least a basic understanding of C++ and that is far from the best object-oriented language to learn first. "C++ makes the easy things difficult and the really difficult things possible."

3 hours ago, cjmarsh said:

You don't need to download plugins for Unity to make basic games

I think what @Shaarigan was saying that if the OP wanted to have visual scripting he would need a plugin for it.

Second in Unity you will need to buy some plugins or assets sooner or later, it's how the engine is designed.

Unity follows the same structures developers learn to create micro transactions. Give your players(Developers) a lot of basic stuff for free, omit some of the best stuff and charge for it.

It's true you don't need to buy the assets you are free to spend the time learning how to make them yourself(Grinding).

This however is not a bad design. The Unity asset store is the best around the net. It helps a huge amount of developers fund and others make there games. Unity does give you some good things for free.

The Unity asset store is a large part of making games with Unity, even basic games.

3 hours ago, cjmarsh said:

Unreal is certainly...

Unreal is using a experience gateway. They keep there official tutorials to crash courses, so that experts can easily adjust to make games with Unreal. This works for them because it means that the average Unreal game is higher quality than a Unity game.

Unreal can do this because they know that any developer making money with a competing engine could earn much more by just switching to Unreal.

In the end what engine you use is up to each developer, everyone of the engines have a upside and a downside. If they didn't there would have been only one engine, the best engine; there is no best.

9 hours ago, kburkhart84 said:

Scouting Ninja didn't mention it, but Gamemaker can do the same thing that he/she is talking about there. 

Thanks for pointing that out, Gamemaker is a faithful engine to 2D developers; always a good choice.

What @Levi Lohman is describing is a game engine; as in any game engine. Most game engines have layers/ tags/ properties. Most engines have collisions build in and most game engines can do: "if actualDamage < 0, actualDamage = 0, else enemyHP = enemyHP - actualDamage"

That is what coding is, no matter if it's script or visual.

Almost all of the popular engines can do any of the things listed here.

Disagree about Unity, a lot of people talking trash here about it, and honestly dont know why, I have about 1Year proper expierience with it, and didnt need to buy anything yet, you can build proper games with it, only downside I have that you need PRO version to put videos in your game

6 hours ago, zizulot said:

Disagree about Unity, a lot of people talking trash here about it, and honestly dont know why, I have about 1Year proper expierience with it, and didnt need to buy anything yet, you can build proper games with it, only downside I have that you need PRO version to put videos in your game

That is actually no longer the case.  They changed things up, with the free version actually having all of the features that the pro version had before.  The dark skin GUI is still only in pro, as is the customizeable/removable splash screen.

I also wanted to mention....sometimes, it can be a good thing that stuff on the asset store isn't part of the Unity engine.  It would be even better if the stuff was part of the engine, but able to be taken out of builds if not needed, but lots of things would degrade performance just being part of the core, meaning it is sometimes better to have the separate and only included if you are actually using them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement