OldGames: Making Games from Old to New

Started by
182 comments, last by JWalsh 21 years, 3 months ago
EDITED: after talking with jwalsh he cleared up some issues

[edited by - ph33r on December 13, 2002 4:34:40 PM]
Advertisement
Heya all,

I posted a flowchart of the Finite State Machine (FSM) on the website.

http://dungeons.dyndns.org/oldgames/

Best Regards,

Jeromy Walsh
Programmer
Liquid Entertainment
------------------------
"The question isn''t how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" -Boondock Saints
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Hey jwalsh,
Suggestion on the FSM flowchart. Include pseudocode on the right side in a format something like this.

1. Splash screen loop   a. Go to Main Menu loop   b. Go to Options Loop      1. Go to NEW_GAME loop	  2. Go to BALL_PLAYING loop	  3. Go to END_GAME loop   c. Go to ExitThe sub topics indicate it can return to its parentsuch as b can return to 1 but if you go to 2 you can notreturn to 3  

just a suggestion to clear the flowchart up makes it easier to follow
were doing this in 3d?

if we use DirectInput I could make a base class. nothing spectacular. okay?
but if we use WM's, please assign me a job...

.lick

[edited by - Pipo DeClown on December 18, 2002 10:43:38 AM]
The game is being programmed in 3d but it will look 2d. Also jwalsh is taking care of the rendering so you don''t have to worry about any of the graphics programming
Hey all,

Just wanted to wish everyone an (early) Merry Christmas and hope that all the project members are well. Thanks again to jwalsh for helping us learn. Be well all,

Rob
"Cause I''m a creep.. I''m a wierdo.."- Radiohead
Window doesnt show...
The files are very messy, should we make an object out of it? cApp?

LRESULT CALLBACK WindowProc( HWND hWnd, UINT uMsg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam ){	switch(uMsg)	{		// Checks for key releases		case WM_KEYUP:		{			switch( wParam )			{				// If the Escape kei as pressed, kill the application				case VK_F12:					{						PostQuitMessage(0);						return 0;					}break;				default: break;			}		}break;		// If a destroy was recieved, kill the application		case WM_DESTROY:		{			PostQuitMessage(0);			return 0;		} 			default: break;	}	return DefWindowProc(hWnd, uMsg, wParam, lParam);}          

I added a temporary quit button.

I found out why the window doesnt show, it doesnt load the info correctly, if you put a WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW in it, it shows a window with 0 width and 0 height. Better fix it Jeromy!

.lick

[edited by - Pipo DeClown on December 23, 2002 2:05:13 PM]

[edited by - Pipo DeClown on December 23, 2002 2:09:09 PM]
Pipo I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it seems like you have the misfortune of not being a part of this project for any further extent, reason being - failure to attend several meetings has tagged you as an undedicated programmer.

Also the win32 code is not what we are currently worried about – right now we are more focused on creating the classes that will be used during the game. I also believe that the new version of the win32 code on the CVS server works fine. If you still want to be a part of this project your going to have to email jwalsh and try to prove your commitment to the project.

Pipo,

The window does show. You need to have your project files set up correctly to read from the configuration file. I do however need to put in a failsafe for the missing configuration file...
When you make it an overlapped window it creates a window with 0 height and 0 width, because it takes those figures from the config file.

We do not want the window to be overlapped though, we want it to be a popup. The program is designed to run in fullscreen. We let it run in windowed mode for debug purposes only. We dont want it to be an overlapped window because that would give it a title bar, and a system menu, which we dont want because it subtracts from the client area and we need it all.

In regards to the "messy" files. They are actually quite nicely spaced out, well formatted, easy to read, and we can address the winproc, the main game loop, and the rest of the code without having to worry about other parts. And If we want to wrap it all in a class we can, but it isnt currently necessary.

Also, the program is meant to be run in full screen, for that reason we were using Alt+F4 to close the window. But since some people dont know how to use that to close a window, I''ll go ahead and add the code to close on an "Esc."

Finally, Dave is right. I log the people who enter the chat room so I can see who logs in and how long they are there, even when I''m not signed on. I dont remember you logging in more than once. Additionally, you''ve failed to post for quite some time, and you''ve not even attempted to make the meetings.

You might argue that "time" is a problem, and that you cannot make the meetings. However, we have 3 people from Australia in our project, one of which has made it to the meetings at 5:00 AM Monday morning. (Our meetings were held 10 AM on Sunday), the other two have made it there at 7 AM. Knowing the dedication of the few project members we do have, I''ve decided that anyone not showing significant dedication will no longer be assigned work or considered a part of the team.

The official Project Members are:
Jeromy Walsh (Project Lead/Designer/Library Programmer)
Rob Deskoski (Engine Programmer)
Jamie Esliger (Engine Programmer)
Dave Neubelt (Tools Programmer)
Shaun Williams (Library Programmer)

If your name is not on the above list and your name is still on the website, you have been flagged as contributor. You are still free to submit snipets of code for the project, but you will not be in the credits, etc... w/o further effort.

Thanks to those who are helping this become a reality.

Best Regards,

Jeromy Walsh
Programmer
Liquid Entertainment
------------------------
"The question isn''t how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" -Boondock Saints
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
It was 6am for me and 7am for the other aussie, they have daylight savings.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement