• Advertisement
khawk

2018 New Year Challenge: Missile Command

Advertisement
2 hours ago, lilington said:

One question, do we have to just clone it or can we also modify or improve it?

Yes, absolutely modify or improve it. I'll update the challenge.

Oh wow, another of my favorite games from my childhood, I had that 2600 cartridge back in the day.

I'm going to do this, and I'm going to use voxel type or vector type graphics, I see that is allowed. I'm undecided as I write this. I enjoy making 80s arcade replicas as you can see from my remake of Atari Asteroids Deluxe I finished last week. I'll be doing this in MonoGame of course.

Count me in.

Edited by LanceJZ
Added info I forgot.

One more question, how much can we change the gameplay? I mean I want to add more stuff, as I started yesterday and it is almost finished already, I have 2 months to make better image and music, so I think about adding things in the gameplay but I am afraid of changing it too much.

3 hours ago, lilington said:

One more question, how much can we change the gameplay? I mean I want to add more stuff, as I started yesterday and it is almost finished already, I have 2 months to make better image and music, so I think about adding things in the gameplay but I am afraid of changing it too much.

I think the key is to keep the spirit of the original gameplay, but that doesn't mean you can't add a new design twist or new gameplay elements - as long as it's designed in the spirit of "Missile Command". The ultimate goal with these is to learn, challenge yourself, and have fun, so if you want to experiment around the Missile Command game design then go for it!

This is what I have so far, been working on it in my free time.

Tools:

Visual Studio 2017, MonoGame, Bfxr, MagicaVoxel

Added Smart Bomb. Left to do, audio and UI.

Github

Bomber.png

MG Added Bomber.png

Edited by LanceJZ
Updated video. Added details.

13 hours ago, LanceJZ said:

Have you guys thought of starting a Discord server for this contest?

We have our GameDev.net Discord, so I don't know that we need another server, but if there was enough interest we could create another channel for challenges. Right now the challenges are posted to #lounge when they come out.

Very cool replication of Missile Command, btw!

46 minutes ago, khawk said:

We have our GameDev.net Discord, so I don't know that we need another server, but if there was enough interest we could create another channel for challenges. Right now the challenges are posted to #lounge when they come out.

Very cool replication of Missile Command, btw!

Well, that would be a Discord server, thank you. LOL I'll go join it now.

Thank you! I'm a big fan of the original, I spent many quarters on that game in the 80s.