Recomendation for Graphics/Game engine design resource

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 5 years, 11 months ago

Hi again,  After some looking around I have decided to base my game directly on Direct X rather than using an existing game engine.  Because of the nature of the stuff I'm doing it just didn't seem to fit very well and I kept running into road blocks.  At this point I have a big blob of code for doing fractal world generation and some collision code,  and I'm trying to put it into some form that resembles a game engine.  Since I've never used one before It's a bit alien to me ..... so can someone direct me to a book, website, article, whatever... that covers this?  I'm mainly looking for stuff that covers C++ library design. I'm not adverse to using 3rd party tools for stuff I can used them for.

Advertisement

This not being a "Game Design" question, I'm moving it to another forum (per the sticky posts atop the game design forum). Please post only game design questions in the game design forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

16 hours ago, Gnollrunner said:

I'm trying to put it into some form that resembles a game engine.  Since I've never used one before It's a bit alien to me ..... so can someone direct me to a book, website, article, whatever... that covers this?  I'm mainly looking for stuff that covers C++ library design. I'm not adverse to using 3rd party tools for stuff I can used them for.

A good starting point may be the Enginuity series by @superpig. It's a bit dated (2003) and better techniques have come out since it was written, but Richard did a good job highlighting the things a developer needs to think about.

This link is a search of all things Enginuity on GameDev.net: https://www.gamedev.net/search/?q=enginuity

Admin for GameDev.net.

7 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

This not being a "Game Design" question, I'm moving it to another forum (per the sticky posts atop the game design forum). Please post only game design questions in the game design forum.

Sorry I think I got my terminology confused. I was thinking design of game software.

13 hours ago, Gnollrunner said:

Sorry I think I got my terminology confused. I was thinking design of game software

I knew that! :D 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement